+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 5 housing swap cellular issues

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Yeah I gave up as well, assuming it was definitely the material they are made of. If I disable LTE it's fine, WiFi is a small loss, maybe 1 bar
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Yeah I gave up as well, assuming it was definitely the material they are made of. If I disable LTE it's fine, WiFi is a small loss, maybe 1 bar tops depending on where I'm at in my house.

My biggest issue with one client was he already had very little LTE coverage at his house to begin with, so this just destroyed any chance of getting LTE after the color change. Sucks.

Has anyone use an OEM color frame yet with Verizon LTE? Just curious to if they have any issues at all before I drop the extra cash on them. My client doesn't really care if he spends more money to get his normal service, but just want to verify before I buy one.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The fix is simple. Put the color frame next to a stock black one. On inside of the black one you'll see silver areas that aren't anodized. Take a dremel and attach a wire brush attachment (wires pointing downward) and remove all the annodizing in the same areas on the color one as the stock one. Remove all dust and debris after you're done and clean it well. Once the anodizing is off, the flex assemblies will make proper contact with the metal and work normally. Some frames are made with crappy alloys and don't conduct signal as well. In those cases you should lose only around 1 bar. Either way, use good parts. I'm making many complaints to our friends in China about how lazy they are anodizing the inside. There is no need to do that.

Thanks

That fix has zero improvement, been there done that. I've made a red one identical to OEM, in all spots. Notice that OEM isn't brushed down to the metal, it's an actual conductive material. Scratch at it, peel at it.. It's not the actual metal of the frame, there's a material they use inside that is the silver coloring you are describing. I can do everything to match on one, then do only top antenna cleaning of another and see same results.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That sucks. Must be the type of metal they're using. All the frames we sell don't have much issues.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm 95% sure that a majority of the colored frames are coming from the same manufacturer. They have gotten better in terms of look and feel since they released initially but I've ordered them from 4 different suppliers and cannot find any differences whatsoever. Of course if they are using different metals I wouldn't be able to tell that, but when the shades of the colors matches perfect across 4 suppliers you start to wonder.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Baremods View Post
    That sucks. Must be the type of metal they're using. All the frames we sell don't have much issues.
    So if they don't have much issues, how do you know the fix? Just curious, because I've bought from 6 suppliers so far and they've all been identical frames. From what I can tell, there is zero difference in frames coming out of China, hell they are all manufactured in the same factory I'm convinced at this point. I know people who've bought from you and yours are no different than what any of us get as well.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I suspect there are 2-3 companies making them. I have a tried several suppliers and often times get different variations. I just wish they would get their crap together.

Thanks

All of mine, regardless of which supplier I use, have the same manufacturers stamp on the inside.

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,874 Times in 2,213 Posts

+1
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think the issue is that the "high copy" frames dont have inserts. If you look on the OEM frame where the threads for the screws go in you will see they are inserts. I tried removing one of these inserts from an oem frame with some heat but no luck. I was thinking i could drill a larger hole where the antennas go then put an oem insert for the screw to go in. I dont know if any of that even made sense hahah but if anyone can find a way to remove the thread inserts from the orginal frames we could be on our way

Thanks

Right but getting the insert out could be hard and you would really have to be careful drilling

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Green Apple
    Thanks

trying to get an insert out. then im going to try it on a bent colour frame i have laying around. wish i could order the oem kits but noone in my area is paying that much to get their phone swapped!

Thanks

Good luck with that. If you find anything out please let us know. I'm still actively working on a fix for this as well.

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

Thanks

I've given up complete hope on finding a legitimate fix

Thanks

Ya I am done trying unless I see someone come up with something

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am having the same issue, just wondering if it could be due to metallic-coloured/electroplated glass inserts in the phone? I would change to the original glass inserts from the housing that I removed, but I do not have a heat gun to help me get them out. I installed a gold housing with gold glass inserts, which I guess could be blocking or reflecting the signal (since the wifi antenna is stuck onto this on the inside). Let me know if you've tried the original glass inserts, or non-metallic ones!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Also (on the original housing) do those silver inserts on the screw holes and other areas conduct or insulate?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CustomKing View Post
    Also (on the original housing) do those silver inserts on the screw holes and other areas conduct or insulate?
    Insulate.
    The glass has nothing really to do with the poor signal

Thanks

Agreed on the glass - I've had OEM on mine at one point with zero improvement

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Insulate.
    The glass has nothing really to do with the poor signal
    Oh right.. why are people sanding off the anodising where the inserts should be when it just exposes more metal? Sorry if its a silly question! Is it the wrong this to do or does it allow the phone to use the housing as an "energy dumping" ground?

Quote Originally Posted by joshmoulton View Post
    Agreed on the glass - I've had OEM on mine at one point with zero improvement

Great, thanks for clearing that up!