+ Reply
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 5 replace glass

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Man. It feels like you are light years ahead of me on this project. I took the liberty of ruining 6 iPhone 4/4S LCD's today trying different ways to separate
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

Man. It feels like you are light years ahead of me on this project. I took the liberty of ruining 6 iPhone 4/4S LCD's today trying different ways to separate the broken glass. Also got some orange glow into the backlight of a few of them. Plus the LCD looked terrible after removing the glue (scratched to hell). I'm still working on it though. Let us know how that mold works out for you. I placed an order for an iPhone 5 one but it still hasn't shipped. Curious to know if I wasted the money or not lol.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

手机液晶屏拆屏机 液晶拆屏教程 液晶分离—在线*放—优酷网,视频 清在线观看

This video at 2:10 tells me it's gona work haha.

Where'd you order the mold from?

Thanks

Almost makes it look too easy. I've been looking into one of the separators too. Just can't justify the cost. Although refurbishing our own parts would really be nice in the long run. All those separate costs add up really quick. I'm not sure how much money we would actually save by doing these ourselves (aside from the iphone 5 screens for the time being.)

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

Thanks

True. Right now we charge 199 for the iPhone 5 assembly. 229 if the LCD is busted. I want to get it down to 139-149 like our S3/Note 2.

Thanks

Yeah. I'd like to get it even lower than that if I could. The separator makes it look like there would be a lot less labor, but the wire, separator, adhesive remover and mold are about $2000 total. Not sure if I'd sink that much into that without turning my whole operation into an LCD refurbishing business.

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

Thanks

I tried to get a couple of my suppliers to get me a separator but they keep telling me it's hard to use and it's expensive.

I still want one.

Thanks

Yeah me too. They don't look that hard to use lol.

I mean the process seems simple enough. Secure the assembly, heat it up, cut the glue with some super thin (and overpriced) metal wire, clean, reglue, done. (much easier said lol)

I'm thinking we could get by with a heat plate, the wire and something to hold the assembly in place. What would hold the assembly I haven't yet figured out.
    Last edited by iRevival; 04-21-2013 at 03:40 AM.

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

Thanks
    The mold from the last video you posted looked different, almost rubbery or plastic. I wonder if that mold would be cheaper. I still don't see though, how the run off from the glue isn't effecting the lcd even with the mold, couldnt the glue still get into the lcd with the molds?

Do you guys have any tips with removing just the glass on a galaxy s3 and note 2? The way I do it just takes too long, been trying to find a technique that takes 20-30 minutes. So far, no luck

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kelenus View Post
    The mold from the last video you posted looked different, almost rubbery or plastic. I wonder if that mold would be cheaper. I still don't see though, how the run off from the glue isn't effecting the lcd even with the mold, couldnt the glue still get into the lcd with the molds?

Do you guys have any tips with removing just the glass on a galaxy s3 and note 2? The way I do it just takes too long, been trying to find a technique that takes 20-30 minutes. So far, no luck
    Shouldn't take too long. Just get it to the right temperature. ~170-180F and that bad boy will come right off all in one piece. I start on the bottom right side so as to get between the digitizer cable and the glass. Once I get that pried up I put a plastic razor blade underneath. Then do the same with the other side. Once it gets to the right temp, that glue will soften to the point where you just take both razor blades and go straight up. As you go, keep heating and the pressure from both blades will pretty much lift up the glass on its own.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B-Roll View Post
    Shouldn't take too long. Just get it to the right temperature. ~170-180F and that bad boy will come right off all in one piece. I start on the bottom right side so as to get between the digitizer cable and the glass. Once I get that pried up I put a plastic razor blade underneath. Then do the same with the other side. Once it gets to the right temp, that glue will soften to the point where you just take both razor blades and go straight up. As you go, keep heating and the pressure from both blades will pretty much lift up the glass on its own.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll try it that way this week, although I swear I'm getting it hotter than that lol. I've found that the digitizer is incredibly fragile so I've broken more than a few of them practicing.

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

Thanks

Man. The runoff is a huge issue. I hate it. This is gonna kill me.

Thanks
    No luck with the mold?

Thanks

No luck with the mold?
    It works. The runoff tho. I'm going mad figuring this out

Thanks
    Last edited by Kelenus; 04-30-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Thanks

What about putting the adhesive and make sure it's aligned by using the mold and then flip it and clean the run off before curing?

Haven't tried it yet, but just an idea
    It will still seep into the LCD. and then you can't see amy bubbles.

Thanks

I'm just gonna have to take the backlight off first.

Thanks
    really? sounds fragile. This whole refurbish iphone 5 fronts seems like too much of a hassle. Might be good to invest in one of those $1500+ machines.
    Last edited by Kelenus; 04-30-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,876 Times in 2,215 Posts

I was wondering about that or painting on the adhesive instead of making drops. Do a light layer and as long as it doesn't cure to quick I am thinking you would have little to no excess spewing out the sides
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    I was wondering about that or painting on the adhesive instead of making drops. Do a light layer and as long as it doesn't cure to quick I am thinking you would have little to no excess spewing out the sides
    I've made a little progress. Will report back soon.

Thanks

oooooooooooooooookay so

The biggest trick to this whole thing - gravity.

So I took that dude with the putty's method and kinda tried to expand on it. I found some Chinese videos that showed the molds and all that junk. I was putting the glass down and immediately pushing down on the glass to get the runoff/excess out. What this was doing was it was making it go too fast and the glue couldn't run off properly so it would push itself back up and go anywhere it could. This means inside the LCD.

We tried it where we slowly laid the glass down and let it lay flat and just watched it spread. This allowed the glue to spread and any glue that ran off actually had somewhere to go and not just build up and make a mess. We are 99% there. All we need to do is figure out how to clean the glue off better (without Orange Glow) and to have minimal scratches. Other than that, we are there. There has been a tiny tiny bit of runoff into the LCD but it is very minimal. We can change the backlight out if need be. We're also very close to figuring out exactly how much glue we need. Right now we're at about 1.5mL. The hard part is laying the glue down evenly right away so it spreads evenly as the glass lays on top of it.

So basically right now we just need a better way to clean the LCD and know an exact amount of glue we need to use.

Also we are not using that guy's liquid. I found some different liquid that works just the same but I have ordered the actual real stuff from China that should be here shortly. The stuff we use now leaves the LCD a bluish color when the screen is off. When the screen is on everything is fine.

I would say by this weekend we will have it down 100%. We will even take your LCDs and do em for you, for a price. ;]

+ Reply
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast