Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 5 replace glass

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm getting down to business this week sometime on mine. Got the glass, adhesive and UV light ready. Just need the courage.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

You can do it!
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

I'm 95% there. Alignment is a very slight problem. I have the molds coming in tomorrow.

35cfx47.jpg

Don't mind the burning on the side. That LCD is junk, thats why it was part of my experiment. Like I said, I have the molds coming in so this putty business will be no more. Will report back.

Did a perfect iPhone 4 LCD assembly today.
    Last edited by B-Roll; 04-16-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Nice work how was it in a scale 1-10

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

His videos leave a lot of questions but it's pretty self-explanatory once you get the hang of it. The first obstacle was the bubbles but I got that taken care of. Next is alignment. 3rd is the cleanup.

I ordered a bunch of cheap i4 glass to practice on cus I don't wanna mess up any good 5 screens. I ordered 6. That one I posted was the 6th one haha. I found that putting the glue down in a straight line rather than 2 drops works better (for me anyway)

I'd give it a 6-7 right now. It takes some messing around to get the hang of it but once we get these moldings I think it will turn out a lot better.

I'll post more findings here as I do more experimenting.

Sounds good. Thanks for the info

Did a perfect white 4 today. No bubbles. Still want the damn molds. They won't be here til Monday now.

Thanks

What molds are you talking about?

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

Quote Originally Posted by iRevival View Post
    What molds are you talking about?
    It's a mold that is cut for the LCD and glass.

Rather than use this putty stuff you lay the LCD in the mold and then you put the glue down and lay the glass down and the mold is cut perfectly so that you can't misalign the glass on top of the LCD.

The lab mess today.

Not sure if I didn't cure it correctly but a black one I did the other day formed some air pockets on its own after just sitting for a while. I have another one I did yesterday that I will check tomorrow night to see if it formed any as well. Hopefully not.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Roll View Post
    Not sure if I didn't cure it correctly but a black one I did the other day formed some air pockets on its own after just sitting for a while. I have another one I did yesterday that I will check tomorrow night to see if it formed any as well. Hopefully not.
    Not enough adhesive maybe?

Thanks

Let us know if you come up with a theory. I'm still working on cleaning the old glue. I'm convinced the orange glow isn't doing much. I scrubbed one on and off for an hour and it looks like I did almost nothing to it.

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

The orange glow works. Use the toothbrush like he said. Let it sit about 5 minutes. Heat it up for maybe 10-15 seconds. Then scrape it with a razor blade. I get the remaining residue off with nail polish remover.

Once I get this perfected ill make a video. This Prak guys videos still leave questions with alignment but its not too bad on a 4 to get it right. I've had trouble with the 5. I will know more Monday.

I did a perfect 4 today with a good amount of adhesive and cured it for about 20 minutes. I'll be keeping my eye on it.

Also in addition to the putty I put scotch tape around the border of the putty/LCD as well so as to make sure I don't leak anything into the LCD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B-Roll View Post
    The orange glow works. Use the toothbrush like he said. Let it sit about 5 minutes. Heat it up for maybe 10-15 seconds. Then scrape it with a razor blade. I get the remaining residue off with nail polish remover.

Once I get this perfected ill make a video. This Prak guys videos still leave questions with alignment but its not too bad on a 4 to get it right. I've had trouble with the 5. I will know more Monday.

I did a perfect 4 today with a good amount of adhesive and cured it for about 20 minutes. I'll be keeping my eye on it.

Also in addition to the putty I put scotch tape around the border of the putty/LCD as well so as to make sure I don't leak anything into the LCD
    Ill keep trying I guess. Maybe I'm not letting it sit long enough

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

There has got to be a better way to apply this glue without the putty. Also every video and every screen he does I can see imperfections. I hope he's not fixing peoples stuff with those ones.

I've got the laying of the glass down with no bubbles thing down. Alignment isnt a huge issue anymore. Its the runoff of the glue and possible seeping into the LCD.

Suggestions? I'm hoping to get this down 100% this week.

Use a better tape? Like electrical tape of painters tape. Something a bit thicker and heavier. Also when you get to the point you know exactly how much glue it takes you should get less run off.

The runoff isn't really a problem, it's gonna happen no matter what and in order to get it to spread all the way. The seeping though, that is an issue. Especially on the top part of the LCD. I'm hoping these molds I get will help in aiding against this and I don't have to deal with this putty nonsense.

Here's the best 5 I've done so far.

Looks good to me man

On the outside it looks good. There is some seepage into the backlight, which I can change, but would be better if I didn't have to. :/

Soon we will be 100%.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345 13 ... LastLast