Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Results 261 to 280 of 280

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iphone 5 replace glass

  1. #261
    Hey guys not too sure how much traffic this thread gets anymore but I managed to convert my t8280 preheater into an lcd separator. I managed to track down some toggle clamps on aliexpress and drilled them into a nice chunk of stainless. My preheater was gathering dust so its good to see it being used again. The good thing about this is I can use it for larger devices im going to give a nexus 7 a go when I find one cheap enough. If you can get the materials cheap/free id say its better value than buying one of those tiny preheaters ive seen people selling . Heres a few pics.




    [img=http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/713/6i9x.jpg]
    [img=http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/689/w5hh.jpg]
    Last edited by jbomba; 09-27-2013 at 06:18 PM.

  2. #262
    We tried this before.

    It seems like it can save money by doing it yourself but in the end it's not worth it.

    Numbers:
    - Can sell old broken iPhone 5 Assembly with cracked glass but good LCD for $25.
    - You can buy a broken iPhone 5 Assembly refurbished ready for use for $65.
    - $40 seems like a lot... BUT

    - subtract $8 for a good high quality digitizer
    - subtract $1 in glue per piece
    - subtract $6 in labor per piece (average $12/hr employee getting 2 done per hour)
    - subtract initial upfront equipment cost (few hundred dollars for screen removal tool and autoclave to get rid of airbubbles $1K-$3K)

    So now I'm up in the $40-$42 range.

    Next you need to factor in your going to break 10% of them in the repair process or the outcome of the screen isn't going to be a quality you want to sell or you'll have a return on.

    - Were now in the $46.50 range. ( At best ...for noobies who start the repair you'll probably "break" or fail to refurbish 20% initially.

    Now I'm only at like a $20 savings. While it is a savings that's significant, I found the headache of having the repair parts in stock a pain. I felt like we were a manufacturing company more than a repair store. For the 40-50 pieces we do a month, the time and focus away from the core business hurt more than the savings helped.

    I just sell them off every 2 weeks to someone else who probably sends them to china and can scale the project much better than we can.

    For some of the higher end models such as S3, Note II etc, the numbers might be a bit more enticing to attempt. But the prices when I first make the calculations seem to make sense but then the price of the screens drops every month or so while the repair cost stays the same and diminishes the value of the whole process.

    Bottom line, I chose to stop trying to repair these even if it saved some money and focus on opening up a few more stores. I'm a professional retail provider, not a professional refurbish center of LCD screens.

    PS - It's super annoying to repair one of these and have some piece of dust touchdown inbetween the LCD and digitizer and screw up the entire repair. If you're going to attempt, you should be in a clean room or dust free / anti-static environment.

  3. #263
    Quote Originally Posted by jbomba View Post
    Hey guys not too sure how much traffic this thread gets anymore but I managed to convert my t8280 preheater into an lcd separator. I managed to track down some toggle clamps on aliexpress and drilled them into a nice chunk of stainless. My preheater was gathering dust so its good to see it being used again. The good thing about this is I can use it for larger devices im going to give a nexus 7 a go when I find one cheap enough. If you can get the materials cheap/free id say its better value than buying one of those tiny preheaters ive seen people selling . Heres a few pics.




    [img=http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/713/6i9x.jpg]
    [img=http://imageshack.us/scaled/thumb/689/w5hh.jpg]
    This is super cool! I found toggle clamps at harbor freight and might try this with heat gun

  4. #264
    So how are guys doing?

    About Monsterdustin post.

    Yes iPhone 5 screen are monster cheap now. BUT, look at the prices for 5s/5c Marked price today is about 250$!
    A glass lens from aliexpress for 5s is 18$
    Now there is a real money saver. Yes the prices go down, but cool thing is you can master your skill on the iPhone 5 screens.

    i have spendt a little over 1000$ on equipment. So im not giving op just yet.

  5. #265
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    942
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 54 Times in 51 Posts

    I have to disagree monsterdustin. I started this about 3 weeks (after talking myself into it for a year) and so far I'm still working on it. However I have started producing quality refurbs pretty consistently now. And the savings are great. Plus, theoretically, ill never run out of screens.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

    iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to iRevival For This Useful Post:

    Solsixxa (11-10-2013)

  7. #266
    So are you removing the speaker mesh, and petting on the new lens or buying new ones?

    Also im thinking of removing the polerizer film, and adding a new one, anybody had Luck with that?

  8. #267
    Green Apple iRepair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Solsixxa View Post
    So are you removing the speaker mesh, and petting on the new lens or buying new ones?

    Also im thinking of removing the polerizer film, and adding a new one, anybody had Luck with that?
    Removing the speaker mesh is kind of pointless as it becomes clogged with dirt and dust... you can purchase the speaker mesh in 3 piece kits for like .07 cents a piece and purchase as many as you want at a time. It's pretty cheap.
    Insanity Is Believing Your Hallucinations Are Real.

    Religion Is Believing That Other Peoples' Hallucinations Are Real.

  9. #268
    What do you think about the work process by doing this, iRevival and jbomba? As far as i have been watching in youtbe videos, it looks like a very messy and difcult job. I understand if you guys do it with the 5S and 5C screens, but not with the 5, as those screens are so cheap atm. And you can also choose between selling them for abount 50$ per piece or get them fixed by a China company for 10-15$ per piece. Think i will try that last one, when starting to get some broken 5s/5c screens.

  10. #269
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    942
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 54 Times in 51 Posts

    To me its worth it. Paying $63.50 per iPhone 5 screen. I still need to stock them for people who have bad LCD's but I save almost $40 per screen when I refurb. It is a lot of work and it'll take several months for it to pay off but to me completely worth it.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

    iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

  11. #270
    i've been trying to do this with some iphone 4s for practice before i get started with the 5s.
    but everytime i get an unresponsive digitizer.
    has this happened to anyone here?
    I use orange glo and 99.9% pure anhydrous alcohol to remove the old glue from the lcd.
    also, i have a hot plate that i use to remove the old glass and i test it after its been removed and everything works just fine.
    so I'm pretty sure I'm messing up the digitizer somewhere in the cleaning process.
    I'm going nuts trying to figure this out! LOL

  12. #271
    I have a few questions:

    Are there places that sell better GLASS only quality than others? I'm looking for the closest to OEM quality glass only replacements. I don't want cheap glass that breaks easy. What do you all recommend?

    As far as the whole LCD should I be looking for retina quality? I am looking for non OEM because of price concerns. I see tons of places that sell LCDs but can't tell which one is closest to OEM. One of the most attractive features of iphones is the high quality display. I don't want to replace a customer's LCD with something that looks worse than original.

    As far as glue leakage, couldn't you use a tape at the edges or some sort of sealant so no glue leaks in? I thought I saw a video where a guy did this - what kind of glue is this?

    Has anyone tried these 3m tape squares INSTEAD of loca glue? I've seen these 3m rectangles included with some glass replacements. If so, how is the quality compared to the loca?

    ANywhere in Los Angeles that sells these quality GLASS replacements? I'd like to stay local.

    Thanks!

  13. #272
    I've started doing iPhone 5 screens with oca which is the latest technology happening now. I've spent some good amount of money getting the equipment as you need different machines for the task. There is a big difference between iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 screens as the iPhone five don't have any protection before the glue. Meaning the polarizer is just in front of the glass the only thing that separates the polarizer to the glass is a thing layer of oca 300um. So when you separate the broken screen you exposed the polarizer which gets scratch very easy, and if you want to do a good job is better to replace the polarizer. Is not hard to do this, but that is the right way. There is more than this involved on the job, is not easy as if you want to do it right you kind of have to genius or some one tell you what to do. Loca is not the way of doing it, and if you are, stop wasting your time. It's not productive, it is messy and it gets you fustrated. THAT IS A FACT. IT TAKES MONEY TO MAKE MONEY. So you have to invest money into the equation. Once you get good at it, the total cost of doing this is about $5.80. Is not much and the amortization of the equipment, which in less than two months you will get it. Easy. If you need help on this subject write me back and I try to help you as much as I can. I will be offering good prices by the middle of January to help some of my colleagues in this hard task but profitable. Good luck and marry Christmas.

  14. #273
    Quote Originally Posted by Luisandres62 View Post
    I've started doing iPhone 5 screens with oca which is the latest technology happening now. I've spent some good amount of money getting the equipment as you need different machines for the task. There is a big difference between iPhone 4 and iPhone 5 screens as the iPhone five don't have any protection before the glue. Meaning the polarizer is just in front of the glass the only thing that separates the polarizer to the glass is a thing layer of oca 300um. So when you separate the broken screen you exposed the polarizer which gets scratch very easy, and if you want to do a good job is better to replace the polarizer. Is not hard to do this, but that is the right way. There is more than this involved on the job, is not easy as if you want to do it right you kind of have to genius or some one tell you what to do. Loca is not the way of doing it, and if you are, stop wasting your time. It's not productive, it is messy and it gets you fustrated. THAT IS A FACT. IT TAKES MONEY TO MAKE MONEY. So you have to invest money into the equation. Once you get good at it, the total cost of doing this is about $5.80. Is not much and the amortization of the equipment, which in less than two months you will get it. Easy. If you need help on this subject write me back and I try to help you as much as I can. I will be offering good prices by the middle of January to help some of my colleagues in this hard task but profitable. Good luck and marry Christmas.
    Not productive, messy and frustrating?

    Wrong. Very productive, not very messy if you know how much to use and not frustrating at all. How can making a huge margin be frustrating?

    I'm doing 5S and 5C all day with no problems whatsoever. I rule.

  15. #274
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Roll View Post
    Not productive, messy and frustrating?

    Wrong. Very productive, not very messy if you know how much to use and not frustrating at all. How can making a huge margin be frustrating?

    I'm doing 5S and 5C all day with no problems whatsoever. I rule.
    so what method do you use so you don't get glue LOCA leakage into the backlight?

  16. #275
    New backlight always. $1.25

  17. #276
    Post Some advice
    I read from a few post back that there are a few people with issues with the glue seeping through to the
    LCD.

    This should not be such a big issue.
    Walmart or ebay, a $10 soldering iron, and there you have it! No more issue.

    The soldering will take some practice though. I have about 5 LCDs in good working condition that i can not use because i can't get the
    solder on. You only have a few tries before you burn off the pins.

    It is worth the mastering, it makes life easier.

    I am running into this very weird problem now. When it is not one thing, it's the other.
    Even with my mold. My iPhone 5 screens are coming out crooked. I dont get it.
    This does not allow me to get it back onto my bezel. And we all know what happens if we force it on...
    You find yourself making that listing on ebay titled like this
    "iPhone 5 LCD for parts not working"

  18. #277
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Roll View Post
    New backlight always. $1.25
    Did you figure out why the iphone 5 turns yellow
    at various locations on the screen after 24/48 hrs after?

    It's really frustrating , what is the solution ? Tape the top with strong tape
    so no glue seaps into that space ??

  19. #278
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Roll View Post
    The mystery of the browning LCD has been solved. Finally and it comes at a good time too so we can do glass only and compete with the big boys at Apple.
    How did you manage to solve the browning/yellowing issue
    on iphone 5 lcd after 2-3 days ??

    Any help would be greatly appriciated .

  20. #279
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    No usually not enough or there was some separation during the curing process. Usually doesnt show right away but shows 24-48 hours later
    So , did you solve the yellowing after 2-3 days after curing mystery

  21. #280
    It took a lot of $$ and a lot of time to figure it out, please forgive me if I'm not going to just give it out.

    Also at this point, it's not even worth refurbing iPhone 5 fronts since the cost of assemblies has gone down to ~$35

    Even 5S and 5C is down to around $55

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •