+ Reply
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iphone 5 replace glass

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi, I changed my screen today. Compared to my wife's original screen, her screen look a little bit brighter when I look at the screens sideways / angle. I thought
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi,

I changed my screen today. Compared to my wife's original screen, her screen look a little bit brighter when I look at the screens sideways / angle. I thought I bought an original screen but I'm not sure anymore. Is there any way to check if the screen is original?

Have you experience variations between original screens?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm kind of at a standstill with this for the time being. :[

Thanks
    Thanked 3,874 Times in 2,213 Posts

What do you mean by that
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

I found a workaround for this browning situation but it's not foolproof. Working with user Kelenus on a different process that he uses but it's a bit more messy. Some of you should give it a go to get some input on this! Haha.

Basically I've suppressed the browning. What we've found is that thin metal plate on top of the LCD that's part of the digi connector - If you notice when you take the glass off, on each top corner of the LCD there's these little plastic almost glue-like "things". If you look, that part of the LCD is uneven with the rest of it. The unevenness I believe is causing the browning after the fact due to (I THINK) undried glue that the UV lamp can't get to.

What I've done is put a clear piece of tape all the way across the top to make it "even". I've suppressed the issue but like I said not foolproof. It's sellable but not a long-term solution. If this is how I have to do it from now on, so be it but I'd rather find a permanent solution so I can pump em out and not have to wonder if it's going to happen again or not.

Thanks

Hmm ok. Now you have gave me something to ponder.

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

Look at the very top. The corner plastic things or whatever they are act as if they are spacers. So if you go across the top left to right from the left spacer...it's not level, it goes corner plastic glue thing, then dips down up until it gets to the thin metal plate then dips down again and then another plastic spacer.

If you look REALLY closely, there's a SUPER thin white line at the top of the lcd but below the digi cable. Above that if you look close, there is a DIFFERENT type of glue that is more bluish. I believe that this acts as a dam of some sort for the adhesive that they use.

What I tried to do was take a syringe and put UV glue into where that dam would have been and cured it in the UV lamp so make my own dam. Didn't work.

Then I did like I said above and put a clear piece of tape across it. It definitely helps but because it's tape and it can move, over time it starts to get a tiny tiny bit brown

At this point I see the brown no matter what cus I've been staring at these things for so long. It's driving me crazy but I don't like to leave things 99%.

Thanks

I can see that being a pain in the *****. Would the adhesive strips used to the iPad screens cut down not fill in the gap and bond to the screen pretty well then add a light coat of UV glue to the top of that?

But the yellowing is for sure the glue?

Thanks

It's worth a shot. It's just hard cus I don't wanna keep going through screens to figure it out. I've been through 20+. :/

I may try it and not UV it to see if the glue will even spread properly.

Thanks
    Just did the fifth LCD and the process is getting faster. So far 5 successful iPhone 5 LCDs

I'll try and make a video and upload it on Wednesday

Thanks

Pming you Broll think I may got a solution for you

Thanks

Headed to the shop now to brainstorm. Will post pics and ideas if anyone's around.

Thanks

Sounds good bro

Thanks

That topcoat isn't gonna do it. I've got one more idea. I'm breaking for some ribs now so we will see. fingers crossed.

Thanks

Yum ribs

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@B-roll I will be curing some screens this week. I have seen the 'glue like" top corners, so if I can find any information i'll be sure to share. I also have some refurbish suppliers in china and will ask about this issue and see what they say. Shoot me a pm if you want to colaborate.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

I've got a few pieces of the OCA tape and a roller on the way that I'm going to try. Want to see how it works without an autoclave. I've been able to get my hands on a few more screens for testing. Also going to try my other liquid glue out before ordering the stuff you are using b-roll.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

Thanks

I REALLY hope this did it.

I don't have pictures but basically we looked at my partner's phone and how the glue dried. He has clear sapphire crystal as his glass for his 5. It doesn't brown because it's fully clear so it cured every bit of the glue. It definitely pools up around the LCD connector. Like I was saying above, you can see some sort of dam with a bluish different type of glue to block glue from getting up there. Basically you have to recreate that.

We tried a couple different adhesives. We have a special tape we use for iPads and iPods. 3M is just not strong at all. Anyways, I laid down a strip across the top but didn't take the paper off the top. It took a bit but the glue spread and it looks great. No browning or bruising anywhere else as I had to push down a little bit more since that adhesive made it sit up a little higher. Usually when I turned the screen over you can see some spillover on the glass from where it moved up through the LCD connector. Nothing here this time.

Then we did another one where we took the paper off the adhesive. Same thing, no pooling (that we can see). Everything looks 100% other than some scratches. Basically it's creating a seal on the top of the LCD so no glue can pass and it spreads down the line.

Kinda hard to see without pics and vids but I've got hope. The browning usually happens 2-3 days after curing so I've got one of them on my phone currently to keep an eye on it.

Thanks

Let us know in 48-72 hours hopefully that solves the problem

Thanks

I stay up to date on the replies for this post.. at first I was like "Yea, I'm gonna try it" and now I'm like "nah..." lol

Seems like a huge headache
    iRepair Indy

Thanks

It's been a bumpy ride but will be well worth it. The cost is ~$20...