+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "searching" continuously after LCD change, now stuck on "connect to itunes"

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
changed the LCD on my iPhone 4S as i have done plentiful times, but this time its different. After i reassembled it, the carrier shows "searching", continuously. Before i restored
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Mrdabbas's Avatar
    Thanks

Default "searching" continuously after LCD change, now stuck on "connect to itunes"
    changed the LCD on my iPhone 4S as i have done plentiful times, but this time its different. After i reassembled it, the carrier shows "searching", continuously. Before i restored it i noticed the WiFi was also not working. (both were working perfectly fine before i disassembled)

The main-board has no water damage and i don't believe that i broke it as i was gentle (only time i got close to it was when i was prying the battery out)

I'm not sure if this is any help but one of the prongs on the speaker/mic on the bottom of the phone was bent (there are 3 prongs tugged into the frame). I unbent it and tugged it in when i disassembled and reassembled the device again.

Everything looks fine I'm not sure where went wrong.

After i tried restoring because some people said it was because the Time/Date was incorrect this would happen. Well i tried restoring and got stuck on the "connect to iTunes" screen with error -1.

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, would really hate to scrap this phone!

- The phone is factory unlocked if that helps
    Last edited by Mrdabbas; 01-17-2013 at 12:09 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,866 Times in 2,206 Posts

The wire that runs from the dock to the logic board and is guarded by the battery shield A) isnt plugged in all the way or B) the connector on the board or the cable is damaged
    Bottom right circle in this pic

Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

Indeed. Agree with Cowboy. A -1 indicates some type of hardware failure. If that cable isn't in all the way you could be seeing that message because of that.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default i am having this same issues
    I replaced the lcd on the phone and the earpiece i have done this to many phones with out any problems. after i did it to this one though i got searching for service. and it was also saying to to an update. so i plugged into itunes to do the update and it went part way through the update then went to the sreen with usb plug going to itunes and that is where it has satyed since. i replaced the antanna cable with new one and that did nothing for it any one have suggestions on how i can resolve this issue? please?

also i checked the ports none appear to be damaged

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I've ran into this once before with a Sprint iphone 4S.. turned out to be the towers in my area. The whole time I thought it was messed up but it was just 99% of the Sprint towers were down.

I'm sure that's not it though..

Might sound weird but have you tried a new LCD assembly? Twice now I have had some very weird things happen because of bad screens.

Here is an example:
    After I got that weird message I changed out the screen and it worked perfectly.
    iRepair Indy

Thanks

Out of curiosity is the date and time correct?

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,866 Times in 2,206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iRevival View Post
    Out of curiosity is the date and time correct?
    Solid question bro
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

It has nothing to do with the time.

He got error -1 when restoring. A restore from DFU mode, with a error -1, pretty much means it's toast.

Although, the other day I had an error -1 and restored the device for a 2nd time and it worked... then later it started acting weird. It went to the "connect to itunes screen" and I could not get it to work again. I took it to the Apple Store for warranty (still had a month left) and they got it to work. My guess is all they did was a restore and got lucky.
    iRepair Indy

Thanks

He never said he did a dfu restore. The time and date is a legitimate issue that should be checked as part of the troubleshooting. Also, on iOS 6 I have to do a hard reset on every single device after I repair it for it to show that the phone is connected to the carrier. Must be a bug.

He also said he modified some of the hardware inside. A -1 error usually indicates a hardware issue. I'm just trying to narrow it down. The metal prong you bent back is part of the antenna. I'd replace that before junking the phone. It may have been damaged before or when you bent it back to shape. Ive gotten a large percentage of -1 errors to work by just doing normal swap and see troubleshooting.

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

Thanks

He never said he did a dfu restore. The time and date is a legitimate issue that should be checked as part of the troubleshooting. Also, on iOS 6 I have to do a hard reset on every single device after I repair it for it to show that the phone is connected to the carrier. Must be a bug.

He also said he modified some of the hardware inside. A -1 error usually indicates a hardware issue. I'm just trying to narrow it down. The metal prong you bent back is part of the antenna. I'd replace that before junking the phone. It may have been damaged before or when you bent it back to shape. Ive gotten a large percentage of -1 errors to work by just doing normal swap and see troubleshooting.
    Hard reset every device? Hmm

Try putting the devices into AirPlane mode and turn it off again. That always works for me. You are talking about the continuous "searching" right?
    iRepair Indy

Thanks

You know it's funny that I've never tried that. Thanks for the tip. Ill give it a shot next time I see the issue pop up

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

Thanks

You know it's funny that I've never tried that. Thanks for the tip. Ill give it a shot next time I see the issue pop up
    Should work.. let me know.
    iRepair Indy