Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
Hardwareforums, a part of the
Q: Is there a way to get this iPhone out of its stuck mode without taking it apart? More than a year ago, this forum helped me jailbreak and unlock...
01-08-2013, 12:55 AM #1How to reboot iPhone 3G without the sleep/wake button? (which isn't working)
Q: Is there a way to get this iPhone out of its stuck mode without taking it apart?
More than a year ago, this forum helped me jailbreak and unlock a Craigslist iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1 for my kid to use on the T-Mobile network, and everything has been fine ever since on iOS 3.1.3.
Today, my kid tells me that the sleep/wake button on the top right stopped working a while ago (it pressed down with a good click feeling - but it just doesn't do anything). This hasn't been a problem - until now.
Now, the iPhone 3G is locked up with all the icons and we can't reboot it.
The kid took the SIM card out, and now, even with the card back in, it just says "No SIM card installed".
If we could just get the sleep/wake button to work, we could reboot it easily.
My kid asked me how to reset/reboot the iPhone 3G without the sleep/wake button being operable.
These methods won't work:
1. Press and hold the sleep button till you can red swipe to shut down => we never get the red swipe message!
2. Press and hold the home and sleep buttons for 20 seconds till the phone does a forced reset ==> nothing happens
3. At the top right corner, squeeze (pinch) the front screen together with the back case while pushing the Power button.
Googling, I find one option is to take the phone apart.
My question: Is there a way to get this iPhone out of its stuck mode without taking it apart?
Last edited by Granitel; 01-08-2013 at 01:25 AM.
01-08-2013, 02:42 AM #2
why not just let it die? then charge it after that to get the phone back on.Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs
iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
Don't forget about those screen clips!
01-08-2013, 12:53 PM #3
Thanks for helping a stranger on the net out!
I'll do my part to pay forward, at least with documentation, as always.
How to reboot an iPhone 3G whose sleep/wake button is inoperable:
1. Press and hold the sleep button till you can red swipe to shut down
2. Press and hold the home and sleep buttons for 20 seconds till the phone does a forced reset
3. At the top right corner, squeeze (pinch) the front screen together with the back case while performing the above step
4. Allow the iPhone battery to discharge fully overnight & power it up in the morning!
01-11-2013, 05:46 PM #4
On another forum, I found that another potential option is the following:
Why not just install sbsettings or activator and you can set any kind of button or gesture to restart the phone.SBSettings is a gesture-based application available on Cydia. It allows the user to make various gestures in order to perform certain functions. Once you have downloaded SBSettings, you can personalise your settings by going to
Settings — > Activator
- How to Use SBSettings and its Toggles
- Activator for iPhone
- Activator 1.5.6 iOS 5x