+ Reply
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Need advice on parts to stock

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have been doing some repairs on the side and am going to start focusing on it as a second source of income. I live in a remote spot and
...
  1. #1
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Need advice on parts to stock
    I have been doing some repairs on the side and am going to start focusing on it as a second source of income. I live in a remote spot and will be relying on others to help me obtain parts by having visitors bring them to me.

    It would be helpful for me to get some advice as to what parts I should absolutely have in stock. Obviously LCD/Digitizers and battery's are very common. I get that dock connectors are as well. Should I keep at least one or two of each flex cables on hand for testing? Should I be stocking all the odds and ends or will it be a waste for me? I anticipate getting a fair amount of water damage requests. I'm not sure if that changes anything. I suppose alternately I could buy some used phones to have on hand for testing parts.

    I know this is a lot to ask but any advice regarding this would be much appreciated. I'm gonna be the only game in town for what looks to be at least a 2 hour radius. I've done plenty of teardowns and LCD replacements, but haven't had to test or replace any other parts. I do Mac repair as well and like the challenge of troubleshooting problems but I get the feeling with iPhone's it's much more clear cut. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    236
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts

    I try to keep 1 Black/White kit of each both models of the 4 and 2 of Black/White kit of 4S. Other than that, I don't keep anything else in stock typically, I have never had a battery replacement request.

    I'd wait to see what the market is like to maybe carry a popular color or two as well if you get a lot of requests for color swaps.

  3. #3
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Thanks for the thoughts. I'm extremely remote, meaning it could take weeks or longer to receive parts in so I'm looking to at least have the bare minimum. There must not be a very high failure rate on iPhone parts. I'm definitely curious regarding if anyone keeps parts on hand for troubleshooting. Or if they have tester phones. Maybe that's not so necessary with iPhone's like it can be with certain Mac issues?

  4. #4
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    942
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 54 Times in 51 Posts

    Home button flex cables are really popular for me. And proximity flex/power button cables. I do those almost as much as the screen repairs.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

    iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

  5. #5
    Green Apple iRepair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Screens, screens, screens, power buttons, power buttons, home buttons, home buttons, batteries, ear speakers.
    Insanity Is Believing Your Hallucinations Are Real.

    Religion Is Believing That Other Peoples' Hallucinations Are Real.

  6. #6
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    208
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by iRevival View Post
    Home button flex cables are really popular for me. And proximity flex/power button cables. I do those almost as much as the screen repairs.
    Ditch replacing the prox/power cable and only replace the little black dot on the power button itself. Problem solved and no hassle.

  7. #7
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    942
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 54 Times in 51 Posts

    +1 on the earpiece speakers. But I still recommend getting the proximity flex cables. Replacing the little black dot only helps if you have replacement little black dots. I've only ever seen those on used cables. Unless you can buy them. In which case I'd like a link ha ha.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

    iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

  8. #8
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by iRevival View Post
    Home button flex cables are really popular for me. And proximity flex/power button cables. I do those almost as much as the screen repairs.
    Thanks. I guess that makes sense, with the home button getting the bulk of the abuse. When the issue is something like the power/proximity cable is it usually an entire failure or can it be just one branch on the tree so to speak? As in can the proximity part of the cable fail while the power functionality is fine? I haven't had to replace/troubleshoot any flex cables yet. I'm curious what the symptoms would be.

    Quote Originally Posted by iRepair View Post
    Screens, screens, screens, power buttons, power buttons, home buttons, home buttons, batteries, ear speakers.
    That's great concise advice. I appreciate it. Do you find the quality of various suppliers ear speakers, power, and home buttons vary?

  9. #9
    Green Apple iRepair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrvisserplein View Post
    That's great concise advice. I appreciate it. Do you find the quality of various suppliers ear speakers, power, and home buttons vary?
    Truthfully its hard to pinpoint "good" suppliers quality here in the U.S. when it comes to parts like those because more often than not after their stock runs out they're searching for the next cheapest supplier... so while parts might be good for a month or two doesn't mean they always will be. Generally any of the sites mentioned by us guys here in the various threads are good sources and its truthfully impossible to really tell a quality difference. Only way to assure constant good quality is to buy directly from manufacturing sources which I went and searched about and am pretty close to if not dealing directly with in China. Still, that doesn't mean you're not going to get bad parts once in a while... direct source or not, it's the nature of the beast.
    Insanity Is Believing Your Hallucinations Are Real.

    Religion Is Believing That Other Peoples' Hallucinations Are Real.

  10. #10
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by iRepair View Post
    Truthfully its hard to pinpoint "good" suppliers quality here in the U.S. when it comes to parts like those because more often than not after their stock runs out they're searching for the next cheapest supplier...
    I have spent hours. And hours. Researching this topic via various forums and sites and this(entire post was too long to quote) is one of the most straightforward and helpful bits of information for a subject many like to play very close to their vests. With as many options as there are, particularly of you put in the time to cast a wide net and pare it down, the choices can get
    very overwhelming. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

  11. #11
    Green Apple iRepair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrvisserplein View Post
    I have spent hours. And hours. Researching this topic via various forums and sites and this(entire post was too long to quote) is one of the most straightforward and helpful bits of information for a subject many like to play very close to their vests. With as many options as there are, particularly of you put in the time to cast a wide net and pare it down, the choices can get
    very overwhelming. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

    no problem. that's what we're all here for... to help each other out.
    Insanity Is Believing Your Hallucinations Are Real.

    Religion Is Believing That Other Peoples' Hallucinations Are Real.

  12. #12
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    942
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 54 Times in 51 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by mrvisserplein View Post
    Thanks. I guess that makes sense, with the home button getting the bulk of the abuse. When the issue is something like the power/proximity cable is it usually an entire failure or can it be just one branch on the tree so to speak? As in can the proximity part of the cable fail while the power functionality is fine? I haven't had to replace/troubleshoot any flex cables yet. I'm curious what the symptoms would be.
    To be honest it's usually just "one branch of the tree" if you will. When I'm replacing these it is usually because either (a) the screen does not shut off during a call (much rarer) or (b) the power button doesn't function. When the power button doesn't function the chance that it is because of that little black nub on the flex cable is very high. Like B-Roll said, this is easily repaired by replacing that black nub, but you have to have something to replace it with. I use them from cables where something went wrong on them. For instance, a volume button flex cable that was ripped during an amateur repair. I'll save that cable because it has 2 of those black dots on it (one for volume up and one for volume down). Then if I get a power button repair in and that is the only issue, I charge the customer a little bit less for the same amount of work but no real initial investment.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

    iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

  13. #13
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    208
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by iRevival View Post
    +1 on the earpiece speakers. But I still recommend getting the proximity flex cables. Replacing the little black dot only helps if you have replacement little black dots. I've only ever seen those on used cables. Unless you can buy them. In which case I'd like a link ha ha.
    Like you said in a later post, I mainly just save them from other cables that we replace. (i.e. volume cables, etc)

    We charge $45 to fix the power button and no real investment except for 30 minutes. Every now and then we will replace the whole cable. It's just a pain with aftermarket power buttons because of the proximity sensor sometimes.

  14. #14
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    942
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 54 Times in 51 Posts

    I agree. I hate that damn proximity sensor. Would much rather refurbish the cable myself than replace it.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

    iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

  15. #15
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Do any of you sck emi shields or grounding clips? Those parts can be small, I could see the benefit to have extras around but I could also see how one with substandard metal or coating could wreck someone's reception. Maybe I am assuming too much?

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts