+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: To those that run shops...

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
How many repairs are you doing a day/week?? This is my main source of income aside from buying/selling phones on eBay. We have 2 locations and I run the main
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default To those that run shops...
    How many repairs are you doing a day/week??

This is my main source of income aside from buying/selling phones on eBay.

We have 2 locations and I run the main one. We are open 11 hours a day and we like to shoot for at least 1 repair an hour. I'd say on a good day during the week we hit 12-15. Weekends probably 25 a day and Sunday around 15.

We do a whole lot more than just iPhones though. We repair every phone.

Just looking to see what some other shops are doing. :]

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

I do it part time right now I do anywhere between 5-20+ a week just depends.
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

What's your main job if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks

I am an AT&T sales rep

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

Varies for me as well as it's strictly side work. I work full-time as a Sys Admin for the govt. I do anywhere from 1-5 a week, just depends on my feel of advertising that week. I'm mostly word of mouth, a few Craigslist ads here and there. Mostly social networking. I flip phones and sell other products as well though to help.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I run a shop part time as well about 25-30 hours per week in the evenings and weekends. I also repair all phones, ipads and ipods. We do about 10-20 a week. If you don't mind me asking how do you get 12-15 per day? What type of advertising do you do or are you in a high traffic location? I would love to make this my full time job but not at 10-20 a week.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 587 Posts

I run repairs for 2 stores. All phones as well. I did 42 repairs from Tuesday to today. But that's is 2 stores. I'm in a smallish city. Second largest in my state,but only around 85,000 population. Of course it is Christmas time. A lot of repairs for gifts. Also this is my full time job 38+ hours a week.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MobilePhoneMechanix View Post
    I run a shop part time as well about 25-30 hours per week in the evenings and weekends. I also repair all phones, ipads and ipods. We do about 10-20 a week. If you don't mind me asking how do you get 12-15 per day? What type of advertising do you do or are you in a high traffic location? I would love to make this my full time job but not at 10-20 a week.
    We have 2 locations. I run our main location. Both are in Nashville, TN. One is downtown and one is on the outskirts. The main location is in the Galleria right next to the food court so there is a whole lot of traffic there.

I work about 50 hours a week. we try to hit at least 100 repairs a week. We also sell accessories and do unlocks/flashes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 587 Posts

Now that would be nice! How many techs in your store? It's just me stretched between the 2 stores. Sometimes it gets a little stressed this time of year.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by delutedsoul View Post
    Now that would be nice! How many techs in your store? It's just me stretched between the 2 stores. Sometimes it gets a little stressed this time of year.
    Right now we have 4 full-time techs, myself included. 2 at each location and there's 1 part time at the main one. We're losing a full-time in the new year. Anyone need a job?? Haha.

Also as far as advertising we do little to none. Mainly word of mouth, repeat business and being better than the competition. We also have a pretty strong presence with a lot of the carriers in our area and in the mall we have been partnering up with other businesses such as the Griffin kiosk and Ghost Armor.

Smartphones aren't going anywhere so it's been decent. Now if the price on the S3 and some other phones can come down in price on parts, we can do some more!!
    Last edited by B-Roll; 12-15-2012 at 08:04 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That's awesome. Congratulations on your success. I was thinking about a kiosk in the mall but the rent is way to steep in my mall plus Oct-Dec they triple the rent for the holiday season. I guess if I was doing 100 repairs a week I could cover it but my pockets arent deep enough to take that chance.

Thanks

My question is how many people are running as a legit and legal business paying taxes and stuff ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    My question is how many people are running as a legit and legal business paying taxes and stuff ?
    One here!

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah me too. Just celebrated the 1st birthday for the business in October. I try to get through 30 repairs a week if possible, but i probably average closer to 20. Although this month is a busy one so far. I do everything with an "i" in front of it. Unfortunately that means I've been getting a ton of iPod Touches in recently and I hate those more than anything. I get atleast 5 or 6 of those a week. This was my main job for a few months but I recently picked up a weekend job to help with bills around the house. It's midnights, so that (a) sucks and, (b) caused me to drop a day off the week for the store because I just don't have it in me lol. But yeah I pay taxes on it and everything.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iRevival View Post
    Yeah me too. Just celebrated the 1st birthday for the business in October. I try to get through 30 repairs a week if possible, but i probably average closer to 20. Although this month is a busy one so far. I do everything with an "i" in front of it. Unfortunately that means I've been getting a ton of iPod Touches in recently and I hate those more than anything. I get atleast 5 or 6 of those a week. This was my main job for a few months but I recently picked up a weekend job to help with bills around the house. It's midnights, so that (a) sucks and, (b) caused me to drop a day off the week for the store because I just don't have it in me lol. But yeah I pay taxes on it and everything.

iPod Touch is my least favorite. We won't touch it if the frame is bent in any way unless the customer is ok with imperfections after the fact. We do bend the frame back as best we can. If it's just a tiny bit bent on the corner, it's not a big deal but if it's completely messed up, we won't even touch it. Not worth them coming back because the glass isn't sitting flush.

Where is your store located? Busy spot? Foot traffic? Storefront?

Thanks

Horrible location lol. I moved in because the rent is cheap ($120 a month). It's an old high school that they are turning into a "mini mall" of local small businesses. I was the third business to move in. It sucked for the first 6 months but we've been growing slowly ever since and the foot traffic is increasing. I've been toggling the idea of opening a kiosk at our mall recently because of the increased foot traffic but haven't really looked into the associated costs. Plus word of mouth is starting to take effect now and I'm getting a few additional walk-ins a month because of that.

But yeah I hate the iPod Touch. I have an agreement that every customer signs and I just wrote up a separate one for those with iPod touches. I also try to bend them back as much as possible but they are damn sturdy. I've thought about stocking backs for a while too and offering that as an up sell but I just don't think anyone would want to spend the extra money.

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

Thanks

Horrible location lol. I moved in because the rent is cheap ($120 a month). It's an old high school that they are turning into a "mini mall" of local small businesses. I was the third business to move in. It sucked for the first 6 months but we've been growing slowly ever since and the foot traffic is increasing. I've been toggling the idea of opening a kiosk at our mall recently because of the increased foot traffic but haven't really looked into the associated costs. Plus word of mouth is starting to take effect now and I'm getting a few additional walk-ins a month because of that.

But yeah I hate the iPod Touch. I have an agreement that every customer signs and I just wrote up a separate one for those with iPod touches. I also try to bend them back as much as possible but they are damn sturdy. I've thought about stocking backs for a while too and offering that as an up sell but I just don't think anyone would want to spend the extra money.
    If you've got the funds, a mall kiosk would be beneficial. You'd probably eat the first couple months to get established but right now all sales are covering expenses and payroll. Can't complain really.

And we just had to lower our iPod Touch price. Most places around here won't even touch em and the ones that do do a horrible job. Apple replaces 4th gen (8/16/32gb) for $99 so we had to drop it considerably. Our biggest sell is people keeping their data and not having to swap phones/devices and start all over again.

Thanks

Yeah same for me. I charge $65 for the screen and that's even a bit high I think. But, like you, advertise it so they know they don't have to go through the backup and restore headaches. I really do hate them though lol. I've referred what I felt were "hassle" customers to Apple's replacement instead of doing the screen just so I wouldn't have to deal with them again. BTW, I saw you said you make some good money buying and flipping phones on eBay. I do this sometimes but its only with iPhones and I have a hard time buying them at a profitable price. Any recommendations on your process?

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

Thanks

Yeah same for me. I charge $65 for the screen and that's even a bit high I think. But, like you, advertise it so they know they don't have to go through the backup and restore headaches. I really do hate them though lol. I've referred what I felt were "hassle" customers to Apple's replacement instead of doing the screen just so I wouldn't have to deal with them again. BTW, I saw you said you make some good money buying and flipping phones on eBay. I do this sometimes but its only with iPhones and I have a hard time buying them at a profitable price. Any recommendations on your process?
    Basically I advertise that we buy broken phones for parts. Sometimes, depending on the damage we will actually use them for parts. Most of the time, I will just fix whatever is necessary, unlock it, and sell it on eBay. I try to only buy broken phones so I can use the "We're a repair shop so we like to buy broken to use for parts". It's a little bit deceptive but not a whole lot. If a customer brings in something that's in good condition I will always refer them to Gamestop or some place like that. It's a lot easier to buy broken. I try not to buy an iPhone 4 for more than $50. You'd be surprised!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B-Roll View Post
    Basically I advertise that we buy broken phones for parts. Sometimes, depending on the damage we will actually use them for parts. Most of the time, I will just fix whatever is necessary, unlock it, and sell it on eBay. I try to only buy broken phones so I can use the "We're a repair shop so we like to buy broken to use for parts". It's a little bit deceptive but not a whole lot. If a customer brings in something that's in good condition I will always refer them to Gamestop or some place like that. It's a lot easier to buy broken. I try not to buy an iPhone 4 for more than $50. You'd be surprised!
    Thanks for the tip and the price range. I pay a bit more for the 4's than you do. I usually splurge between $75-$85 but that's for a good condition one. $50 is usually a pretty broken one. I'm an iPhone hoarder though haha. I frequently switch between the ones I have to help promote the business. I used my original iPhone the other day. Only lasted about an hour and a half haha.

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers: