+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Proximity sensor issues

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey guys. I have two iPhones that have proximity sensors that don't shut the screen off. I'm not sure if the sensors themselves or if there's something wrong with how
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Proximity sensor issues
    Hey guys. I have two iPhones that have proximity sensors that don't shut the screen off. I'm not sure if the sensors themselves or if there's something wrong with how they're set up. One of them is an iPhone 4 and the other is on an iPhone 4S. They both have shiny black mid frames. Neither one of them have a screen that shuts off when on a phone call. This is obviously a pain in the ***.

I've tried many of the different fixes out there:

Ive replaced the proximity sensor flex cable on the 4
    I've switched the screens on both
    I put a piece of tape between the two sensors on both
    I've covered the sensors with electrical tape with a pin hole through it on the 4
    and now I'm lost.

You guys have any suggestions?

Still have to try a new sensor in the 4S.
    Last edited by iRevival; 11-25-2012 at 10:49 PM. Reason: To fix Siri mistakes
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

I haz a number
    Thanks

Try technique of darkening single piece of clear Scotch tape with black Sharpie pen. Place this single piece of blackened tape over both ports of the Sensors, then put the front assembly back on.

If before, you decide you want to know if the flex is even powered on, then make Call or use Voice Memos to test Sensor, use camera or another iPhone camera (not iPhone 5) to view the infrared light, to see if that is functioning.

Thanks
    I've had a couple phones like this that I could not get the proximity sensor to work no matter what I did. I tried 3 or 4 different ribbons... i tried the coloring scotch tape, laying pieces of electrical tape, cutting pin sized holes... you name it... no matter what, I couldn't get it to work. Eventually I gave up and assumed it had to be a problem with the board... can anyone verify that it indeed can be a board problem?
    Insanity Is Believing Your Hallucinations Are Real.

Religion Is Believing That Other Peoples' Hallucinations Are Real.