+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Problem.

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Help! My iPhone 4 won't turn back on. It's on iOS6, but the phone won't turn on, or even connect to the PC and turn on that way. The top
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 4 Problem.
    Help!
    My iPhone 4 won't turn back on.
    It's on iOS6, but the phone won't turn on, or even connect to the PC and turn on that way.
    The top corner button doesn't work, and it hasn't for a long time.

Also, when I was trying to revert back to standard iOS6 from the jailbreak, iTunes wouldn't restore it, and redsn0w crashed when restoring it.

I'm not sure if the FW has just encountered an error or what.

Any help?
    Last edited by iKalvin; 10-14-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iKalvin View Post
    Help!
    My iPhone 4 won't turn back on.
    It's on iOS6, but the phone won't turn on, or even connect to the PC and turn on that way.
    The top corner button doesn't work, and it hasn't for a long time.

Any help?
    Normally, when plugged into a powered USB port (like the one on your computer), the phone should turn on automatically, or it should be detected as in DFU mode by iTunes/Device Manager/redsn0w's Identify feature.

If it's truly not turning on even in DFU mode, and you're sure the USB port is working, I would imagine that your phone is suffering from a hardware problem. It could be anything from a short-circuit on the main logic board, a faulty battery, a faulty flex cable, perhaps a bad dock, water damaged, etc. The easiest solution would be to attempt a warranty swapout from Apple.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Normally, when plugged into a powered USB port (like the one on your computer), the phone should turn on automatically, or it should be detected as in DFU mode by iTunes/Device Manager/redsn0w's Identify feature.

If it's truly not turning on even in DFU mode, and you're sure the USB port is working, I would imagine that your phone is suffering from a hardware problem. It could be anything from a short-circuit on the main logic board, a faulty battery, a faulty flex cable, perhaps a bad dock, water damaged, etc. The easiest solution would be to attempt a warranty swapout from Apple.
    I updated the original post, please read the new parts.

Thanks

I updated the original post, please read the new parts.
    Okay, so iTunes is recognizing that there's an iPhone plugged in to your computer, the restore is just failing? What error messages, if any, are you seeing? More detail of what exactly you're seeing will better help us help you.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Okay, so iTunes is recognizing that there's an iPhone plugged in to your computer, the restore is just failing? What error messages, if any, are you seeing? More detail of what exactly you're seeing will better help us help you.
    Noo, the restore had started, and then then it crashed and now the iPhone won't turn on or connect to my PC.

Thanks

Noo, the restore had started, and then then it crashed and now the iPhone won't turn on or connect to my PC.
    Hmm. Okay. Would you mind posting your restore logs to a site like pastebin.org and linking them here?

Logs can be retrieved like this:

OS X
    At the Finder, hit Command + Shift + G.
    Paste in:
    Code:
    ~/Library/Logs/iPhone Updater Logs/
    We probably are going to want the most recent, assuming this failure was the most recent restore attempt.

Windows XP/Vista/7
    On the Desktop, hit the Windows key + R.
    Paste in:
    Code:
    %AppData%\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Updater Logs
    Again, looking for the log file with the time closest to when this botched restore occurred.

However, my intuition is still leaning towards hardware problem. Software restores, especially when it's a restore to a stock firmware, very very rarely "brick" the phone irretrievably without something else internally failing...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hmm. Okay. Would you mind posting your restore logs to a site like pastebin.org and linking them here?

Logs can be retrieved like this:

OS X
    At the Finder, hit Command + Shift + G.
    Paste in:
    Code:
    ~/Library/Logs/iPhone Updater Logs/
    We probably are going to want the most recent, assuming this failure was the most recent restore attempt.

Windows XP/Vista/7
    On the Desktop, hit the Windows key + R.
    Paste in:
    Code:
    %AppData%\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Updater Logs
    Again, looking for the log file with the time closest to when this botched restore occurred.

However, my intuition is still leaning towards hardware problem. Software restores, especially when it's a restore to a stock firmware, very very rarely "brick" the phone irretrievably without something else internally failing...
    I was using redsn0w to change the firmware back because iTunes wouldn't load the firmware onto it.

Thanks

I was using redsn0w to change the firmware back because iTunes wouldn't load the firmware onto it.
    So you were trying to restore via redsn0w and that's what caused this malady?

In that case, I'd advise you to post on the official Dev-Team blog, so the authors of the redsn0w tool can offer you support. If you're more inclined to IRC, try irc://irc.saurik.com/#iphone.

Good luck!