+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4S screen fading when putting backplate

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey guys, I need some help here. My iPhone 4S screen display fades away until it completely turns black when I put the backplate of the phone back on. I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 4S screen fading when putting backplate
    Hey guys, I need some help here. My iPhone 4S screen display fades away until it completely turns black when I put the backplate of the phone back on. I took it to a "technician" nearby and he said it's the first time he's seen that problems.

Edit: Without the backplate, the phone works perfectly fine. As soon as I tighten the back plate down (with or without screws ) the display starts to fade.

Edit 2: I tried a different back plate to see if that was the issue, still the problem persists.

Edit 3: I can put on the backplate, I just cant slide it down ALL THE WAY till the point where it "clicks" on. If I do the screen will start to fade.

Edit 4: I had an extra back plate that I had no use for. I broke off the metal parts on the bottom which is where the screws screw on to and tried to place it on the phone. I slid it all the way down and it worked perfectly. I now know the problem is caused because of those metal bars in the bottom. However, I still don't know what I can do to stop the problem from happening while still keeping those bars in the bottom.

I'm sure you guys here are more technicians then he is.
    What could be the problem?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by heatrepeat; 09-27-2012 at 11:39 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't see how the metal screw holes would cause that. Is the back that is doing it aftermarket? To me it sounds like something is rubbing your LCD cable when you slide the back on. Also, have you tried installing it anyway and doing a hard reset when/before it fades to black?
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I tried it with both the original backplate and some aftermarket plate i had laying around . I figured it had to be something with the metal screw holes because it would only occur when sliding it in all the way .I got one of my aftermarket backplates and ripped those off and now i can slide it all the way down without any problem , i just obviously cant put in the screws . I attempted to disconnect all the cables and reconnect them again to see if maybe anything was loose, but the problem persisted. Also, what do you mean by a hard reset? & when is it that you recommend me to do it?

If it was anything that was rubbing against the LCD cable wouldn't it do so anyways? Whether I'd have the metal screw holes or not? That's why I didn't think it was anything wrong with the cables.

My only guess, and then again it's only a guess because I don't know much about this, is that the metal screw hole in the bottom is making contact with something and causing interference between the LCD and causing it to shut off...
    Last edited by heatrepeat; 09-27-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Thanks

I suppose if the cable was scratched but not fully damaged and rubbing against the frame then screwing in the back plate could cause an issue, but that would be an extraordinarily rare case lol. A hard reset is when you hold the power and home button down until the phone powers off and then turns back on. Could help, fixes a lot of issues.

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iRevival View Post
    I suppose if the cable was scratched but not fully damaged and rubbing against the frame then screwing in the back plate could cause an issue, but that would be an extraordinarily rare case lol. A hard reset is when you hold the power and home button down until the phone powers off and then turns back on. Could help, fixes a lot of issues.
    The cable seems to be in perfect condition. I tried the hard reset, still nothing. I'm almost 100% certain it has to be the metal screw holes in the bottom that are causing some sort of interference, I just can't figure it out.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,808 Times in 2,187 Posts

Wow that's way different could you show us a video like one with the screws in and one with screws out also a pic of the backplate I have an idea but I want to see what you are using. I would like a pic of the back side of the back plate.
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

heatrepeat (09-28-2012)

Thanks

Out of curiosity. There is yellow tape underneath your LCD cable covering the solder points. Is that still there?

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 571 Posts

Sounds like pressure from the back plate being screwed is pinching of the LCD. Weird....i had an issue with the wifi antenna cover on a customers phone being just off center causing the LCD to go black when the back door was put on. Try repositioning the wifi antenna cover

10. The Following User Says Thank You to delutedsoul For This Useful Post:

heatrepeat (09-28-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey guys I think I figured out the problem, I was toying around with the back and noticed that if I put any minimal pressure on on of the LCD cables (not sure which one in specific, but the one which is on the right side) , the display starts to fade out just like when I put the back plate on.

Does this mean my LCD is faulty? Can I be certain that is the problem? If you don't think so, then I'll go ahead and make the video you has asked me for @Cowboy.

Thanks!

Thanks

The one to the right is your LCD cable, not the flimsy one, the stiff one. This is a pretty interesting issue. Can you take it apart and see if that yellow tape is covering the 2 solder points on the LCD cable for me? It's a see through yellow. If that is missing it could be causing an issue.

iPhone 4S screen fading when putting backplate-lcdtape.jpg
    Last edited by iRevival; 09-28-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Added a picture

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

13. The Following User Says Thank You to iRevival For This Useful Post:

heatrepeat (09-28-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The one to the right is your LCD cable, not the flimsy one, the stiff one. This is a pretty interesting issue. Can you take it apart and see if that yellow tape is covering the 2 solder points on the LCD cable for me? It's a see through yellow. If that is missing it could be causing an issue.

Attachment 613199
    It's see through blue but it's there.

Thanks

Ok, there goes my theory lol. At this point I'd have to suggest trying another screen if you have one. Something is pressing on that cable causing it to fade out, the question is, is it the cables fault or something else? Only trying a new screen would give that answer.

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

16. The Following User Says Thank You to iRevival For This Useful Post:

heatrepeat (09-28-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I guess I'd have to give that a shot. At this point, I hope it's the screen and I can get this all sorted out already.
    I very much appreciate all the help.

Thanks

No problem. Let us know how it works out.

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

Thanks

You know whats funny? I've never ever had this issue. I've taken apart and put back together several hundred iphones and have never had this issue at all. Until I read this thread and took apart my mother in laws today. And guess what. You jinxed me haha. I was able to fix it though.

Here is what happened:
    Before I put the screws in the bottom everything was working perfect. I put the screws in and the screen started flickering. I immediately thought of this thread lol. I fixed it by loosening the screws and then tightening them again. I know one of them went in a bit sideways so I'm thinking that it must have been rubbing some where. Where? No idea, but make sure your screws are straight if you haven't figured out the issue yet.

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You know whats funny? I've never ever had this issue. I've taken apart and put back together several hundred iphones and have never had this issue at all. Until I read this thread and took apart my mother in laws today. And guess what. You jinxed me haha. I was able to fix it though.

Here is what happened:
    Before I put the screws in the bottom everything was working perfect. I put the screws in and the screen started flickering. I immediately thought of this thread lol. I fixed it by loosening the screws and then tightening them again. I know one of them went in a bit sideways so I'm thinking that it must have been rubbing some where. Where? No idea, but make sure your screws are straight if you haven't figured out the issue yet.
    Funny how things work, right?

Anyways, I was able to pin point exactly what the problem was. It was definitely the LCD cable that when pressure was applied, it would shut off. However, I didn't solve my problem by changing it. I still had about two weeks warranty on my iPhone so I put it back to the best of my abilities and took it to apple to see if I can get it exchanged. My iPhone did have the water indicator in the headset jack active so they had to open up my phone. When they checked it out in the inside everything was perfect other than the fact that I had accidentally broken off the battery pull tab. I got lucky though, the representative still did the exchange for me

Best wishes and once again thanks for all your help.