+ Reply
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Question of the Year : "Where Do I Get My Parts?"

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Okay guys I making this thread to help and also to rant. So take it how ever you want. I get asked probably 20-30 times a week where i get
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,808 Times in 2,187 Posts

Default Question of the Year : "Where Do I Get My Parts?"
    Okay guys I making this thread to help and also to rant. So take it how ever you want.

I get asked probably 20-30 times a week where i get my parts from. ( Its quite annoying) i had to get my inboxed upped because of how many emails i get a week. But its a bit annoying if anyone would do a simple search i am sure you can find me post this exact answer a couple hundred times on the forum.

The answer to this question tho is ............................................ wait for it...........................

ifixdirect
    ElekWorld
    focusupply
    &
    pacifictoy.com

all are great sources, i did put them in order as far as quality is concerned. ElekWorld and Focusupply could probably switch between 2-3 they are both real good.

So there you have it, so i beg you please stop pming me
    Last edited by Cowboy; 05-21-2013 at 02:07 PM.
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

DRPCs (01-31-2013), R3I3C3K (01-11-2013), Simon (05-01-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Several additional questions ... with answers!
    Good post Cowboy. Here's a couple other questions that are asking extremely frequently that never seem to go away.

UPDATE:
    Where can I get different color frames (silver outline) for the 4/4S?
    I have personally used at one time or another:
    www.iKustomize.com
    www.eachsupplier.com

These are hard to judge quality on. If you want peace of mind then go with iKustomize. They are US based and have good customer service as opposed to eachsupplier, which is based in China and I have no experience with their customer service.

Is there a video for switching out the midframe on the 4S?

Question of the Year : "Where Do I Get My Parts?"-img_3186.jpg

The answer ... to be honest I've never seen one. However I did take the time to record myself taking my 4S apart all the way and then putting it back together yesterday. I don't have much time to edit it this weekend but lookout for a link to it around Thursday. Until then, this is literally how I learned to do it my first time.

There isn't one. Your best bet would be to run through all the tutorials individually. They have good ones at iFixit.com.

Here's my recommended order:
    Display Assembly
    Power & Sensor Cable
    Headphone Jack Cable
    Dock Connector

That'll get you pretty much through it. Dont forget the small parts that most likely won't come with the frame like the plastic pieces near the bottom mic and speaker where the mesh is. Oh! And don't forget to check my sig either lol.
    This is not an easy job for a beginner and I'd recommend practicing before doing it on another persons iPhone. There are a lot of small parts that are easily overlooked and forgotten that will really reduce the awesomeness of the swap if you put the whole thing back together and realize there are parts you forgot.

How do you change the bezel to a different color?

Question of the Year : "Where Do I Get My Parts?"-img_2941.jpg Question of the Year : "Where Do I Get My Parts?"-img_2943.jpg Question of the Year : "Where Do I Get My Parts?"-prytooloutline.jpg

Some heat, a prying tool and a little elbow grease. Aside from custom ordering the kit with the colors you like already installed (for example a pink kit with black bezel and home button) you're going to have to do it yourself. Finding the front bezel is easy enough, the back bezels are notoriously hard to come by (unless you're looking for black or white which are pretty easily found on eBay). Normally if I'm doing it myself I'll order the normal kit with a replacement front bezel in the color I want and a back plate that matches the new front bezel color.

To start the process you will need:
    A heatgun (or a good hairdryer to be safer)
    The kit you are changing the bezel on (pink in the picture)
    The new front bezel (black in the picture)
    The backplate that has a bezel on it that matches the new color (For reference I used the original black back plate from the phone for the back bezel on the phone in the picture lol)
    A prying tool (circled in red in the picture of the tools)

1. Start out by heating up the front panel around the edges. It doesn't take much to get this one off and if you do it right you won't even need to clean up any leftover glue. I always start at the top by pressing on the plastic from the front after heating it.
    2. When you get to the sides they kind of tuck under the LCD screen, so you will need to pull out slightly to lift the bezel around and over the LCD. Be extremely careful when doing this so you do not damage the LCD.
    3. Also, when peeling the front bezel off make sure to note where the screw clips are so that you install the new one correctly.
    4. The front is easy. The place where you will have the issue is the back plate. The process is the same, but is much more difficult than the front. Start out by heating the bottom of the back plate and getting your trusty pry tool out.
    5. While heating the bottom, try to wedge the pry tool underneath the plastic at the bottom directly underneath the metal sheet that is attached to the back. You are going to end up removing the plastic along with the metal sheet as they are all one piece.
    6. Slowly but surely (and several curse words later) you will finally get the back bezel off. This is not an easy or quick procedure though and you will find yourself reheating several times at the very least. You also run the risk of scraping the paint off of the back plate (if you look in the picture you can see where I actually scratched a bit of the pink off the back). There is also a high chance of breaking the glass and having to start over.

While it looks nice it is definitely not for the faint of heart. If I get the time I will go ahead and shoot some video of myself doing this so you guys can get a better grasp on what I'm talking about.

If anyone has any questions don't hesitate to send me a PM. I'd be happy to elaborate.
    Last edited by iRevival; 09-07-2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Added frame color suppliers
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to iRevival For This Useful Post:

headphonia (08-18-2012)

Thanks

Great post thank you

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

nm
    Last edited by B-Roll; 08-05-2012 at 12:37 AM. Reason: nm

Thanks

Anyone have any experience with AliExpress?

Thanks

Nope

Thanks

I guess I'll give them a try too lol. Going to test out a few different suppliers to see quality differences

Thanks

Aliexpress.com is just a storefront version of Alibaba.com. I've never dealt with the express site but it is all the same sellers as Alibaba.com just with a markup on their prices for individual sales instead of bulk orders. They have many versions of each product because there are many sellers selling the same thing. It'd be hard to judge quality from them because you would have to pay attention to each seller. I'd be iffy about ordering because there are many complaints about it online, however, I have had success ordering from some of the sellers on Alibaba.com. Up to your discretion.

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

Thanks

Yeah, the stuff I was looking at had good reviews, most were bulk orders of 10x of whatever I was looking at.

Thanks

Best site for mid frames and supporting parts?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joshmoulton View Post
    Best site for mid frames and supporting parts?
    I added 2 sites in my original post a few posts up you can check out.

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

Thanks

Awesome, I picked one up from Pacific Toy for a 4. Waiting to find a broken one to buy off Craigslist to experiment with. I'll be checking your video out for sure. Thanks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks Cowboy to support on us (we're Muchbuy)! So if your guys have any requirement, pls feel free to contact me. very nice price, Free shipping will be offered, thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have been using this site from china alot: YRD (HK) INDUSTRY CO.,Limited

The price is very low. I may think the company is a little "unproffesionals" as they don't write English to well, and they also to some "children" mistakes, by excample sending me wrong parts etc. I also may think the quality on their screens is a little bad, and had some problems that the back housing won't fit 100%. It is a kind of to high, so you dont get the little space from the back housing and the mid frame, from the top and down. So i will check out some part from muchbuy and test if the quality is better on those screens :-)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Sales promotion
    Quote Originally Posted by martgal View Post
    I have been using this site from china alot: YRD (HK) INDUSTRY CO.,Limited

The price is very low. I may think the company is a little "unproffesionals" as they don't write English to well, and they also to some "children" mistakes, by excample sending me wrong parts etc. I also may think the quality on their screens is a little bad, and had some problems that the back housing won't fit 100%. It is a kind of to high, so you dont get the little space from the back housing and the mid frame, from the top and down. So i will check out some part from muchbuy and test if the quality is better on those screens :-)

Just a sales promotion during these two weeks, if you have any interested, pls feel free to contact me. Mail box: [email protected].

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Anyone try etechParts.com yet? Says it's US based.

Thanks

Never used them my self

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Tool Kit
    hey anyone know any local stores that would sell the tool kit for iphone modding? eg. Pentalobe and Phillips 00 screwdrivers?

Thanks

Wholesalegadgetparts.com

Thanks
    Guys has anyone noticed MuchBuy took all iPhone stuff off their website? Now I'm thinking im gong to have to use pacifictoy... any idea how long their shipping takes/are they U.S located?

Also, I have used eTechParts... they're probably one of the most reliable I've used just a bit more expensive.
    Last edited by iRepair; 12-01-2012 at 04:32 PM.
    Insanity Is Believing Your Hallucinations Are Real.

Religion Is Believing That Other Peoples' Hallucinations Are Real.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast