Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Anybody do a Color Conversion on their 4S/4?

Default Anybody do a Color Conversion on their 4S/4?
    Just would like your guys experiences with colored LCD replacements. I got mine done locally and the quality of the glass is phenomenal, however, the LCD quality itself is a bit sketchy - I feel like I see horizontal scan lines at times, but then when I focus my eyes on the screen I can't see them. Rocking the Leg1on theme, however, it's a major problem - all loading screens on the theme you'll see flickering on. Share you stories and where you've purchased your conversions!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Cowboy is the man to talk to about this. You can send him a pm and check out this thread. All kinda pictures people did to there phones. Or other peoples phones.
    Show Off Your iPhone

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah you definitely have a bad LCD there. Did you try taking it back to him yet?
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

+1 LCD is defective, if you're seeing problems this early i would definitely have it exchanged before the whole thing possibly flakes out on you.

It's done it on 3 screens he's tried, hm. Any of you guys ran Leg1on before? Try it an update back if you can, would appreciate that. Nvm what am I thinking? I'll just post a loading screen from Leg1on, fullscreen it and see if it flickers.

Thanks

Posting a screenshot won't work because it is just taking a picture of what is supposed to be on the screen. You'll have to take a picture of the phone with the screen on of us to see.

Also, if you suspect it's the theme why not just disable it and check if it is still giving the same issue.

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

+1
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

def. a bad LCD. There's a couple cell stores around here advertising color conversions now and I've seen their work, they seem to get reeeeeeeeeeeeeally low quality stuff, which is surprising to me because I get mine fairly cheap and they're damn near indistinguishable from the original Apple stuff.

More to your original question, I have converted my 4S and if not for my lack of attention to detail with the home button and not having the desire to rip the phone apart again, it'd be flawless lol.

Quote Originally Posted by jcat9 View Post
    def. a bad LCD. There's a couple cell stores around here advertising color conversions now and I've seen their work, they seem to get reeeeeeeeeeeeeally low quality stuff, which is surprising to me because I get mine fairly cheap and they're damn near indistinguishable from the original Apple stuff.

More to your original question, I have converted my 4S and if not for my lack of attention to detail with the home button and not having the desire to rip the phone apart again, it'd be flawless lol.
    How can you be sure its the LCD lol
    Very well could be the the theme.

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    How can you be sure its the LCD lol
    Very well could be the the theme.
    based upon this quote from the OP:

"I feel like I see horizontal scan lines at times, but then when I focus my eyes on the screen I can't see them. Rocking the Leg1on theme, however, it's a major problem - all loading screens on the theme you'll see flickering on."

That, to me, says there are scan lines, but if you refocus your eyes they go away (anything with lines will go away when you refocus your eyes due to the moment of blur in your vision from it), and then with the theme (which we can see has some high-res graphics and animations) it gets worse. Could be software related so a restore/removing the theme would be cheaper and technically quicker, but my money is still on a low quality LCD because I've seen the same thing on a few phones my friends had done by random shops.

If you save that screenshot on your phone and view it full screen it doesn't flicker on your guys' phones? I just got the LCD replaced yet again and I just came to this thread, saved the pic, viewed it full screen and it flickers on this LCD too - doesn't do it on an Apple black/white LCD though. The glass quality is 100% top notch, however aside from that flickering I see on that theme and that theme only, I also got a slightly washed out screen - colors don't pop quite as much as my last one. This even happens with Apple LCD's too though. Thinking about ordering a set myself and taking the phone apart and doing it myself to compare quality. Where do you get your sets jcat? Anybody experience chinaontrade?

Thanks

If you're going to buy a set and want it quickly I'd order it from pacifictoy.com. They are a few bucks more expensive that china-on-trade. I can definitely vouch that the 1 set I ordered from there was lower quality than pacifictoy and they're based in the US so you get the screen fast. Good customer service too. The screens this guy is putting in your phone are bad and I'm assuming he is ordering the cheapest possible screens he can find to maximize profitability. I made the same mistake a couple years ago when I started doing repairs. Learned quickly that in this business you really do get what you pay for.

Just in case, here's some other know suppliers who offer good parts at reasonable prices:
    muchbuy.com
    focusupply.com

All 3 of those sites offer quality stuff and good customer service so you shouldn't have any issues with them.
    Last edited by iRevival; 07-17-2012 at 12:06 AM. Reason: added additional suppliers

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

Quote Originally Posted by itslivo View Post
    If you're going to buy a set and want it quickly I'd order it from pacifictoy.com. They are a few bucks more expensive that china-on-trade. I can definitely vouch that the 1 set I ordered from there was lower quality than pacifictoy and they're based in the US so you get the screen fast. Good customer service too. The screens this guy is putting in your phone are bad and I'm assuming he is ordering the cheapest possible screens he can find to maximize profitability. I made the same mistake a couple years ago when I started doing repairs. Learned quickly that in this business you really do get what you pay for.
    +1000000000000000000000

Hm, lower quality in what way on the set you ordered from chinaontrade? Worked out a deal with the guy to let me order my own set from wherever I please and he'll throw it on free of any labor charge. I would like to just start doing it myself but I don't trust myself lol.

Pacific toy has 'em real cheap though, kind of sletches me out about them.

And lastly what site in your guys' experience comes out with the white/less yellow tinted LCD's?
    Last edited by Dizzy714; 07-17-2012 at 04:49 AM.

Thanks

The white kit I ordered from them was pretty transparent to nearly anywhere else I've ordered from. Had a proximity sensor issue that I fixed with a sharpie. Pacifictoy I used almost religiously for about 6 months. Good prices and quality. Plus a benefit to them is you'll get the parts in about 3-4 days as opposed to 2 weeks from china on trade. Much buy is the same. US based and really quick shipping. I've never ordered from Focusupply but I know so me guys from the board who have never strayed from them either because they just have really good quality stuff. It really is up to you though. Yellowing you should only worry about on the mirror blue kits. The ones that have a full blue coating on the front have a decent chance of having a yellow tint over the screen because of the plating.

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

The white kit I ordered from them was pretty transparent to nearly anywhere else I've ordered from. Had a proximity sensor issue that I fixed with a sharpie. Pacifictoy I used almost religiously for about 6 months. Good prices and quality. Plus a benefit to them is you'll get the parts in about 3-4 days as opposed to 2 weeks from china on trade. Much buy is the same. US based and really quick shipping. I've never ordered from Focusupply but I know so me guys from the board who have never strayed from them either because they just have really good quality stuff. It really is up to you though. Yellowing you should only worry about on the mirror blue kits. The ones that have a full blue coating on the front have a decent chance of having a yellow tint over the screen because of the plating.
    Even with the full plated blue your eyes adjust to the slight yellow tint from the plating after a week or so of use. I personally use PayPal for my supplier so the money gets their instantly and then they ship using DHL rather than EMS or china post, so I typically see my stuff within 4-5 business days coming from Hong Kong all the way to the East coast of the US. That, plus an 8 month warranty on everything I buy was all I needed to hear.

Thanks

Yes, but you're buying to stock, he's only buying one set to give to the guy to finally resolve his issue. Overseas sellers will do the express shipping (I order my parts the same way you do jcat) but on one set that's a hefty addition to the product cost.

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

You ever order a red set off pacific toy? The trim almost doesn't look red, I emailed them to shoot me over a pic of the side of it so I'm waiting on that. Obviously would like to spend $40 on a set rather than $80 from focus supply lol. But if focus supply is of even higher quality I'll do it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy714 View Post
    You ever order a red set off pacific toy? The trim almost doesn't look red, I emailed them to shoot me over a pic of the side of it so I'm waiting on that. Obviously would like to spend $40 on a set rather than $80 from focus supply lol. But if focus supply is of even higher quality I'll do it.
    I'm pretty sure focusupply price matches. With those plastic borders you are going to see a slight color difference between the glass and plastic from time to time. I've seen this A LOT on the red kits, but I've never ordered a red one from pacifictoy so I'm not sure how close their reds are. Also, make sure you arent looking at just the glass front. The kit (front and back) should be $50 not $40. Just a heads up.

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

I'm pretty sure focusupply price matches. With those plastic borders you are going to see a slight color difference between the glass and plastic from time to time. I've seen this A LOT on the red kits, but I've never ordered a red one from pacifictoy so I'm not sure how close their reds are. Also, make sure you arent looking at just the glass front. The kit (front and back) should be $50 not $40. Just a heads up.
    Yeah, the one's the dude has been doing for me have been slightly different in color as well - but the trim isn't darker, they're a bit lighter if anything, darker would just look ugly IMO, so I'd like to just make sure their trims on their kits aren't darker than the red glass lol. That'd be a hefty price match on focus supply's part, I'll see what they say. And yeah the kit at pacific toy is $45.99.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast