Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: home button weirdness

Default home button weirdness
    So, for the pros, I've been chasing an odd issue with my 4S ever since doing the color swap. The home button is flaky, takes a lot more pressure than it should to activate the button. I thought it was just a 4 home button that wasn't working properly on my 4S, but after swapping a 4S button onto it, and looking at them both, it's still flaky.

I noticed that my original home button has somewhat of a metal pad underneath it, which the new buttons do not. I thought about trying to transfer that pad to the new button, but doesn't seem like it can be done without damaging it.

So I guess my questions are these:

1.) Can that metal pad be transferred to a new button? (if so...I'm gonna be really pissed...spent 2 hrs trying the new button but working too fast, had to disassemble the phone again 4 times or so lol)

2.) If not, can anyone suggest a product (like an epoxy or similar) that I could apply to the bottom of the home button inside the little raised box outline that will dry and harden like plastic, as I'm pretty sure it'd work the same way.

The metal pad can indeed be removed and transferred over. I've had to do this several times. Use an exacto knife and be patient, it will eventually come off. As for adhering the metal plate to the new home button, i just use a small square of 3M adhesive (300 LSE). Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Cersche View Post
    The metal pad can indeed be removed and transferred over. I've had to do this several times. Use an exacto knife and be patient, it will eventually come off. As for adhering the metal plate to the new home button, i just use a small square of 3M adhesive (300 LSE). Hope this helps!
    Hmm ok..I was gonna pick up foam tape but after the experience i had with foam behind the button i'd rather not. I think I'll probably just grab a few tubes of super glue and glue it in place. Good news though, that's what I needed to know! That was the only thing holding me back from wanting to do any 4S's, and now it makes a lot of sense with why mine's been so flaky. Yay, I get to take the damn thing apart...again...lol

If you use superglue you'll only need a tiny little bit, i definitely wouldn't use foam tape for this application!

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

If you hear it up for a couple seconds with a hair dryer it'll come right off with the adhesive still on it. Then just press it onto the new one. No need for additional adhesive. If its warm where you live you can do without the hair dryer.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

As mush as i use my trusty heat gun to loosen up adhesive, i have no idea why i didn't think of that lol!

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cersche View Post
    As mush as i use my trusty heat gun to loosen up adhesive, i have no idea why i didn't think of that lol!
    Lol. Yeah the idea hit me out of nowhere one day.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!