Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "the iphone you connected may be damaged and can not be activated"

Default "the iphone you connected may be damaged and can not be activated"
    hey guys i have customers iphone 4 water damaged. she used it for a few hours after then lose service and said to restore.
    Now, I cleaned the motherboard with alcohol an works fine but i can't get it to restore. when i tried to restore it, it says

"There is a problem with your iPhone.
    we're sorry, the iphone you connected may be damaged and cannot be activated for service. we recommend you visit your nearest apple store for more information.
    To find your nearest Apple store. click here."

i can get it restore but now, there's no service or wifi, no imei or wifi adress. It's just basically an ipod.

it's the same issue as this guy in the youtube video. -> : Iphone 4, water damages - cannot be activated for service - YouTube

sounds like the logic board is hosed. Think about it: your cell/wifi antennas, charging dock, and apparently data connection through dock connector are no good...all of these components connect back to the logic board. Is it registering the sim? If not, the sim reader is also on the logic board. Cowboy will probably have more detailed steps for you to follow but that's what it sounds like to me.

Which version of iPhone is it?
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

hey cowboy , it's an iphone 4.

Have you tried doing a DFU restore?
    And are you getting an error number?

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

yes i'am trying dfu mode, after it's restored. it says:

"There is a problem with your iPhone.
    we're sorry, the iphone you connected may be damaged and cannot be activated for service. we recommend you visit your nearest apple store for more information.
    To find your nearest Apple store. click here."

i can use the phone as an ipod, but can't get activation. no service or wifi or emei.

Sounds like the baseband. Chip is shot

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Wes, is it because of the water damage the baseband chip crapped out? I'm still learning about the hardware stuff, pardon my noob-ness.

Yeah water damage often time doesn't effect the phone for a few months after if the spot wasn't cleaned well and erosion took place

Thanks

There probably was damage from keeping the device on and using it after the water had entered the device right? Especially for "a few hours" that must have done it in.

Most likely

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    There probably was damage from keeping the device on and using it after the water had entered the device right? Especially for "a few hours" that must have done it in.
    definitely. The electrical current running through the components with the presence of the water and especially given that there's iron and other mineral content in just about all water probably accelerated the corrosion of the component connections.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jcat9 View Post
    definitely. The electrical current running through the components with the presence of the water and especially given that there's iron and other mineral content in just about all water probably accelerated the corrosion of the component connections.
    I know typically 95%+ iso alcohol will clear all that residue out but only before the corrosion occurred. It's unfortunate the device wasn't powered off and left that way until cleaned properly.

I know typically 95%+ iso alcohol will clear all that residue out but only before the corrosion occurred. It's unfortunate the device wasn't powered off and left that way until cleaned properly.
    I think even 95% has too much water content...I recall finding 99% in my local CVS when I was trying to repair something electronic-y on one of my cars. But you're absolutely right, by this point it can't be saved by alcohol.

Thanks

I used 99% myself. I would've thought 95% would be fine, but I always say stay as close to 100% as possible anyway. I actually couldn't find 100% even online for some reason.

I used 99% myself. I would've thought 95% would be fine, but I always say stay as close to 100% as possible anyway. I actually couldn't find 100% even online for some reason.
    They don't make 100% it's impossible I believe

Thanks

I think there is 100%, I just don't think it is easily accessible to the general public. It's all highly flammable and dangerous. Don't know why though, 99% is pretty darn close to 100% anyhow. But what do I know .

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

I think there is 100%, I just don't think it is easily accessible to the general public. It's all highly flammable and dangerous. Don't know why though, 99% is pretty darn close to 100% anyhow. But what do I know .
    Actually believe it or not, yes. They don't make it as it would be considered poison (it could basically kill you). The very closest you'll get to 100% is something called Everclear.

But 100% is made so rarely. You need a special, and I mean special, license to buy it.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
    Actually believe it or not, yes. They don't make it as it would be considered poison (it could basically kill you). The very closest you'll get to 100% is something called Everclear.

But 100% is made so rarely. You need a special, and I mean special, license to buy it.
    Your so realize ever clear is a liquor?

Not the same proof meter.

Or even the same type of alcohol
    Last edited by Cowboy; 07-09-2012 at 09:23 PM.

Shakes head....AGAIN!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast