Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Camera Shutter stays closed...

Lightbulb iPhone 4 Camera Shutter stays closed...
    Hello,

I have an iPhone 4 that I had recently swapped out the LCD/Digitizer and after that the back or front camera won't work... if I actually open the Camera app it will freeze the phone cause the shutter stays closed...

I have replaced the front camera but still nothing... what could it be? the logic board itself?

Thanks,

P.S: Will post pictures if needed

Thanks

If you're lucky, you just need a reset of your settings. Go to Settings > General > Reset (At the bottom), just make sure to select Settings only and not content. After reset check your camera app again, if it works enjoy!

Now if it does not work, you're in trouble. Many iPhone 4 came with a bug that once you have taken it apart and put it together, the camera app will simply not open and glitch in the bottom right corner. This typically is because of the front facing camera, in fact it occurs when you switch from your rear camera to your front facing camera. A simple reset of settings will help you restore functionality to your rear camera however your front camera will be permanently useless. No way to fix it asides from replacing the connector on the logic board or getting a warranty exchange.

Also obviously check if your camera is plugged in prior to doing a reset on the settings.
    Apple Technician - Modder

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mvn For This Useful Post:

locobans (06-28-2012)

Thanks

Could you point me to that camera connector you mentioned? I might order it and replace and test since I have done pretty much everything else!

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by locobans View Post
    Thanks

Could you point me to that camera connector you mentioned? I might order it and replace and test since I have done pretty much everything else!

Thanks
    The connector i'm referring is on your logic board and will require soldering.

iPhone 4 back camera and back LED Flash problems are a big issue. This thread has me confused. MVN said, "No way to fix it asides from replacing the connector on the logic board".

Is this a suicide connector, like the Connector #1 of 3GS killing LCD when iPhone 3GS is ON. Weird that removing camera from connector would kill it or the LED Flash.

Maybe MVN you are taking about a conductor and not a connector. Either way it is not usual with iPhone to have a component broken in functionality just by removing and replacing it.

Thanks

Has the settings reset been done? What is very usual is the rear facing camera would work but once you switch to the front it would crash both of them.

In order to identify if the problem is fatal please follow my reset
    instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by mvn View Post
    Has the settings reset been done? What is very usual is the rear facing camera would work but once you switch to the front it would crash both of them.

In order to identify if the problem is fatal please follow my reset
    instructions.
    Reset has been done and nothing changes at all... I tell you what with a 3rd party app I was able to TURN ON THE FLASH but no camera or anything... still the same "closed shutter"

I believe replacing the whole logic board is my only option right now...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by locobans View Post
    Reset has been done and nothing changes at all... I tell you what with a 3rd party app I was able to TURN ON THE FLASH but no camera or anything... still the same "closed shutter"

I believe replacing the whole logic board is my only option right now...
    I think you should try replacing your rear camera. Also try to download a third party app that specifically only opens the front facing camera. reset again after installing the third party app and then open it to launch the front facing camera

Quote Originally Posted by mvn View Post
    I think you should try replacing your rear camera. Also try to download a third party app that specifically only opens the front facing camera. reset again after installing the third party app and then open it to launch the front facing camera
    Thanks for another reply! loving it

I actually have done pretty much all that already but no luck... it has been like this for a few months so I have even replaced front/back camera and nothing... I just looked at the logic board prices and erm... around $180-$200 I don't think it's cost-effective...

I might just sell it AS-IS and get a new 4S I mean is running 5.1.1 with 01.59 BB ^_^

iPhone? More like MyPhone Kioes's Avatar
    Thanks

Don't just do a settings reset,
    after installing new hardware it can take a PROPER RESTORE to make everything work in sync again,

Restore your phone fully (setup as new phone not from backup)

if that doesn't work, new logicboard, or if you're good enough, as MVN said some soldering.
    For anything SB-HTML or Themeing based help feel free to MSG me!

give this a shot, worked for mine when the shutter wouldn't open after new glass. Close down the camera app and get back to the home screen. Cover up the front camera with your thumb, then open the camera app again. My shutter would not open until I did this and has been working ever since. I'm going t/s the back flash next when I tear it down to replace the home button (installed an iphone 4 home button by accident, waiting for the new one to come in)

Default Similar Problem but w/rear facing cam.
    I recently changed my iPhone 4's LCD + screen and had the same problem but with rear (big) camera. It all works great (including front facing camera) except when I open camera app shutter stays closed until I press the button to change camera, then front facing camera image will appear.

On other posts I read talk about a small connector that easily falls off during reparation, I still got it. Another post suggested the two black prongs coming from the camera block were its power connectors, I noticed they were coated in black, which doesn't look very conductive...
    I also bought a new rear camera and that wouldn't work either. The last thing I could think of was there being contamination in the connector that wouldn't let it contact so I proceeded with a delicate cleaning of all the connectors ant took the logic board back out to make sure there was nothing strange going on under there.
    At this point I started thinking it might be a software related so I did a Settings reset: same, Full restore: same, tried third party apps: same.

What's the next step?

(This is not my first iDevice (iPods, iPhones, Macs) fix, but the first iPhone 4 with this problem. I am was very delicate during replacement (first unplug battery, plastic tools(as much as possible)... and am sure all is in its place.)

Just a question: does your wifi work?
    I also have a broken front camera (it's in two pieces) and I was wandering if the wifi issue could be caused by a missing part (the camera in my case)

Yep, only problem with rear camera (big one).

I am having this rear facing camera issue with iPhone4g models. All the 4s models work fine. Front cameras all work, I have factory reset, setting reset, tried 3rd party cameras, and connector cleaning with alcohol. As well as make sure the logic board connectors are all connect and none broken. Still none of the rear cameras work. Is there anything else that could be the problem?

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

OK, I'm confused. You have multiple iPhones that have rear cameras that do not work right? Have you replaced any of them? And this is only with the iPhone 4? Is it the GSM or the CDMA model? I've never really had this issue other than phones that had board damage or water damage.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

All iPhone 4g GSM models. Only thing I have not tried is replacing the actual camera because I have no extras now to try it, but it's very unlikely that 3 separate iPhone 4G's would suddenly have hardware failure at the same time.

i have seen before cases where the capacitor is broken and the front-facing camera would not work but this is the first time I see the front face work and the rear not.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

You're going to have to try replacing the rear camera in them. Find one that you know is good and install it. That way we can rule out a faulty part altogether.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!