+ Reply
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Anyone run their own repair shop?

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Originally Posted by har02052 My recycler pays $50 for iphone 5 and $6.50 for iphone 4/4S. He used to be paying $70 for iphone 5, but with the price of
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by har02052 View Post
    My recycler pays $50 for iphone 5 and $6.50 for iphone 4/4S. He used to be paying $70 for iphone 5, but with the price of replacement screens dropping, he had to drop his price.
    If anybody wants his contact info, let me kow.

On a different note, anybody use PlayMyAd.com? They make a commercial and then they put it up on TV screens in Bookstores, gyms, college campuses, things like that. I went to their website and it looked like Quick iFix out of Tennessee uses it. Just wondering if it is effective? They called me yesterday wanting me to buy their ad.
    Or what do others use as advertising? GoogleAds? Facebook ads? Radio? TV? Right now, I am pretty much all word of mouth, although I do have a well made website and over 1500 likes on Facebook.
    Thanks for reminding me to cancel that junk. The first commercial they made us was crap. The 2nd one isn't much better.

Our website has been in development forever and it's making me mad it isn't done yet. I need more FB likes. Right now we use Yelp and Google Adwords. We are referred to by all the carriers around us and repeat business. Things are good.

Thanks
    So how do you guys plan on competing against Apple once they begin to offer in-store repairs?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kelenus View Post
    So how do you guys plan on competing against Apple once they begin to offer in-store repairs?
    Source?

Edit - Found a link.

Interesting. Anyone else's thoughts?
    Last edited by B-Roll; 05-24-2013 at 01:19 AM.

Thanks

Meh - I don't see it changing much.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

+1 being competitive with price is going to keep repair shops on top. Apple is going to want premium pricing just like on their products and services. You should be able to undercut them significantly and most repair shops I know also give customer more options like color which apple will not do.
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

Right - not to mention, I've never been in an Apple store, without setting up an appointment ahead of time, if you walk in, you most likely don't get an option for an appt for over 1-2hrs. Plus they aren't everywhere, so having limited options for people in areas where stores aren't around also is a loss.

Thanks

Yup like the only apple store near me is in a mall 30 mins away. Not a bad drive but the street the mall is on is a Main Street in Tulsa and then on top of that who really wants to fight mall traffic?

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iRepairIndy View Post
    I bet you it was competition acting like Apple lawyers.

I have a buddy who sells knock off Otterboxes. He got a letter in the mail from "Otterbox" stating that they would "fine him" or "sue him". He hasn't heard anything at all lately. We think it was another repair/cell phone place.
    It was actually Apple's lawyers. Actual letterhead. Check the firm online. Real Deal. I am just thinking that the my competition "tattled' on me. Which is ridiculous, since he does the same thing that I do.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Roll View Post
    Thanks for reminding me to cancel that junk. The first commercial they made us was crap. The 2nd one isn't much better.

Our website has been in development forever and it's making me mad it isn't done yet. I need more FB likes. Right now we use Yelp and Google Adwords. We are referred to by all the carriers around us and repeat business. Things are good.
    THanks for letting me know about the PlayMyAd. I will probably be doing more GoogleAds. Most everything else though is word of mouth and Verizon reps. I have a ton of verizon reps that I fix all their personal phones for free. The cost of parts and 30 minutes is super cheap advertising. They all have boxes of my cards under the counter. They hand them to people if they have a broken phone and don't have insurance or don't want to pay the huge deductible. Verizon is pretty dominant in my area, but I have a few sprint guys that do the same. Only 1 Att store in the whole city.
    Last edited by har02052; 05-24-2013 at 09:41 AM.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

Lucky you Cowboy. The closest Apple store to me is about an hour. To be honest I think it could boost business for some of us. I know I'd love to be located near an Apple store so I could directly market against going to them because of the costs and loss of data.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iRevival View Post
    Lucky you Cowboy. The closest Apple store to me is about an hour. To be honest I think it could boost business for some of us. I know I'd love to be located near an Apple store so I could directly market against going to them because of the costs and loss of data.
    Ya I go there a lot like atleast 2-3 times a month. Some of the reps there no me by my user name on here because I wear my ModMyi t-shirt and sweatshirt alot

Or I am the guy with the cool iPhones

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Craigslist is also a good place for your ad. I use it to search for repair places in my area. BTW, I'm a consumer, and just want to let you guys know where I typically search.... Good luck with your businesses

Thanks
    Thanks for the help

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Ya I go there a lot like atleast 2-3 times a month. Some of the reps there no me by my user name on here because I wear my ModMyi t-shirt and sweatshirt alot

Or I am the guy with the cool iPhones
    You are a dork.

Don't be surprised if you are black listed from the Apple Store.

Several repair shops here in Indiana have been black listed. Even if we have a 100% legitimate problem we get turned away. Which is why I have "runners" for Apple store appointments

My favorite excuse is "your iPhone is not the correct weight" LMAO

I don't think some Apple employees like that I (we) make more than them. *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Kelenus View Post
    I don't see this happening. Have you ever been to the Apple Store? They are already flooded with too many "Genius" bar appointments.

As of about 3 months ago Mac Experience (MacExperience) has been doing Apple warranties. They are authorized by apple to do so
    Last edited by iRepairIndy; 05-26-2013 at 09:28 AM.
    iRepair Indy

Thanks

They won't black list me. I made pretty good friends with a few of the reps so I just go to them they swap most of my stuff out no questions asked. I do have a few female runners tho.

Thanks

I fix the account executive for the Apple store's stuff here all the time. Just saved his sisters 5 from water damage and we fixed his iPad 3 a couple times.

Fixed a Genius' roommate's iPhone 4 not too long ago.

Thanks

They won't black list me. I made pretty good friends with a few of the reps so I just go to them they swap most of my stuff out no questions asked. I do have a few female runners tho.
    That's what I thought too.

After going up there about 1000 times (one rep showed me all the times I went) they started flaking out on me.

It's all good.. I have a store now and no time to go. So I pay people to go for me
    iRepair Indy

Thanks

I go a lot but alot of times it's just to check out new stuff. I have only swapped stuff out a handful of times

Thanks

I go a lot but alot of times it's just to check out new stuff. I have only swapped stuff out a handful of times
    I buy and sell a lot of iDevices.. I come across a lot of devices that have issues and are still under warranty.

One "Genius" tried to tell me I'm doing something "illegal, but he can't figure it out" and from then on they started giving me crap.

Nothing illegal about warranting a device that's covered. *shrug*
    iRepair Indy

Thanks

Unless a device just is fried logic board or something is out i just fix it myself..

Thanks

Unless a device just is fried logic board or something is out i just fix it myself..
    Why?

If the device is under warranty I take it to them.. Not only is a FREE replacement it's also a new device.

New device = more money on reselling it

As long as it's covered under Apple warranty 9 times out of 10 I just warranty it.

Now, if it's a customers phone that is a totally different story. I give them the option of taking it to Apple or having me fix it.. most of the time they have me go ahead and repair the device.

If the repair is covered under Apple warranty I always tell the customer. Makes you look honest and trustworthy.
    iRepair Indy