+ Reply
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Anyone run their own repair shop?

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Once you have a website up and running, they usually come to you. Its a good idea to have a few suppliers out of country (like china) and a couple
    Thanks
    Once you have a website up and running, they usually come to you. Its a good idea to have a few suppliers out of country (like china) and a couple that are local (just in case). Easiest way to find the local ones is to just go on ebay and search for apple parts and view the sellers by distance. Contact them and some will even allow for pick ups.

Good luck with your business

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just wanted to chime in here. I had been running my own business a couple years out of my home and was doing really well, around $15K of revenue per month, part time. I then tried to move it to a store, and within one week, I had Apple's lawyers knocking on my door saying I was selling counterfeit items with the color changes. I have now had to move back to my house, hoping to go back under the radar.

Not to bring up what's already been said, but could some of you post what you have on your "disclaimer" that you have people sign? I have never done one of these, but I probably should with the volume I run. Haven't been sued yet, although I have had to replace maybe 2 phones out of thousands I have repaired.
    Last edited by har02052; 05-07-2013 at 06:08 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by har02052 View Post
    I just wanted to chime in here. I had been running my own business a couple years out of my home and was doing really well, around $15K of revenue per month, part time. I then tried to move it to a store, and within one week, I had Apple's lawyers knocking on my door saying I was selling counterfeit items with the color changes. I have now had to move back to my house, hoping to go back under the radar.
    I think that's a crock. There are plenty of shops and CORPORATE repair shops doing the exact same thing. We've been in 2 malls and now have 3 locations. Been in business for about 3 years now. Nothing like that. Open it back up!

Thanks
    Sounds pretty scary

Thanks
    Thanked 3,873 Times in 2,212 Posts

I don't know the exact law but I know alot of places (not me think god) that have been just down or asked to remove anything that has an apple logo on it

Har- where was your shop located
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I can show the cease and desist. I tried the argument that they would have to shut down every shop in town. I asked all of the other owners, none of them got anything like that. (It might have actually been one of my competitors somehow "telling on me", he opened his shop a couple months before mine and "bragged" about how he was doing $10k a month revenue because of it, he didn't like it when I told him I was doing $15k out of my house part time.)

I am doing a business overhaul right now in order to be more "compliant" with what they wanted. I was a bit of target because my name included "iphone repair" I tried to tell them it was a description of what I did, not my actual name, but they didn't buy it. Hoping that going back to my house I wouldn't be a big enough target to sue.
    Last edited by har02052; 05-07-2013 at 06:21 PM.

Thanks

I can show the cease and desist. I tried the argument that they would have to shut down every shop in town. I asked all of the other owners, none of them got anything like that. (It might have actually been one of my competitors, he opened his shop a couple months before mine and "bragged" about how he was doing $10k a month revenue because of it, he didn't like it when I told him I was doing $15k out of my house part time.)

I am doing a business overhaul right now in order to be more "compliant" with what they wanted. I was a bit of target because my name included "iphone repair" I tried to tell them it was a description of what I did, not my actual name, but they didn't buy it. Hoping that going back to my house I wouldn't be a big enough target to sue.
    No, I didn't mean that you were tellin stories. I mean they really have no ground to stand on. That's crap. There are hundreds of thousands of repair shops across the U.S. That's wild.

What makes a business "compliant" with them?

Here's my disclaimer form. Every phone gets a sheet and is signed in and out.

I'd actually like to see the cease and desist. That's very interesting. I'm curious as to what their supposed guidelines are.
    Last edited by B-Roll; 05-07-2013 at 06:31 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to B-Roll For This Useful Post:

Cowboy (05-07-2013), har02052 (05-20-2013), joshmoulton (05-15-2013)

Thanks
    Nice form, the most comprehensive one I've seen. Really got your ground covered

By the way, what was the name you were doing business as? If it has any copyrighted or trademarked names then I could see why apple would get involved

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Not to disclose where I am or who I am necessarily, but I was running as "*city where I live* iphone repair" with *citywhereilive*iphonerepair.com as my website. So as an example, tampaiphonerepair.com or tulsaiphonerepair.com or sacrementoiphonerepair.com. Originally, my website designer was a friend of mine and thought it would be great to have my website "look" like apple's website. It worked great for about 2 years.
    No problems that whole time. I even repaired phones for people who worked for apple at the apple store, as well as apple corporate (I even have one guy's business card, he's a advertising guy at Apple, and he told his whole department to come to me because I was cheaper and faster than swapping their phone for a refurb.)

When the cease and desist happened, their biggest thing was the website name and design. Their third thing was the colored backs with apple and iphone logos. So I understand why they went after me, but really, I was a one man show in a sea of thousands of repair techs, including very large chains of repair shops who all use essentially the same colored screens/back plates with the apple logo.

My overhaul is mostly getting a whole new website and business name while trying to keep the lawyers at bay long enough to drive my customers to my new site. The old site drives tons of traffic since it is always the first to come up when you google *city where I live* iphone repair. Then maybe reopen the store under the new name in a few months.

Who else has a disclaimer? What is in it? I am also wanting to know what you guys did for a warranty? I have people always asking what kind of warranty I give. I honestly want to tell people sometimes "seriously, I am some guy you found on craigslist and you brought me your phone to my house and you want a warranty? If you want a warranty, go to apple and pay triple." But instead I just say that I stand behind my work and I test everything out before and after the repair to make sure it works and if you have troubles, please let me know and I will do my best to fix it. Without any actual written warranty.
    (These are also reasons why I am going through a business overhaul. I was so busy doing tons of repairs, that I never had the time to put things into place to make myself a good business. Now I am essentially starting from scratch and trying to do things right this time.)
    Last edited by har02052; 05-07-2013 at 08:01 PM.

Thanks

We provide a 60day warranty against functionality. no physical damage or water damage.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

I never would've though of the landscape view for some reason. My disclaimer is nearly identical to b-roll's but it is 4 pages total. One with the disclaimer, one they sign, one checklist before I repair and then the same thing for when they pick it up. I haven't ever had any issues with apple but I've heard the horror stories of apple knocking on doors and losing huge orders to customs.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

Thanks

I have not taken the time to browse everyone's pictures but I wanted to say that the Original poster has a nice setup going there.
    I have a partner at the local mall who lets me use his franchised booth daily He takes a cut and that goes really well, me and my partner are the go to guys as well in our general area, especially since we are the only ones that honor there warranty and have for years. I'm in the process of getting a stand alone shop which would allow my to take my offer my other services and get a lil help of my own.

Thanks

I will post pictures of my current shop sometime later... we are about to move too

I just wanted to point out something.. I noticed a lot of you use your broken screens as "art"

You guys are aware that there are several companies (in the US) that will buy your screens??

$5-$7 for 4/4S
    $60+ for the iPhone 5

I currently have a guy who buys mine for $7 each, pays 80% up front, and pays shipping.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Although some of you may know.. seems like nice art but it's also wasted money.
    iRepair Indy

Thanks

Details please. I've got about 50 I want to sell lol

Thanks

I'd buy them off you

They have to be functional LCD's though.. he does test them.
    iRepair Indy

Thanks

I don't think I've ever had a damaged LCD to be honest. PM me

Thanks
    Are they iphone 4/4s screens or iphone 5 screens?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My recycler pays $50 for iphone 5 and $6.50 for iphone 4/4S. He used to be paying $70 for iphone 5, but with the price of replacement screens dropping, he had to drop his price.
    If anybody wants his contact info, let me kow.

On a different note, anybody use PlayMyAd.com? They make a commercial and then they put it up on TV screens in Bookstores, gyms, college campuses, things like that. I went to their website and it looked like Quick iFix out of Tennessee uses it. Just wondering if it is effective? They called me yesterday wanting me to buy their ad.
    Or what do others use as advertising? GoogleAds? Facebook ads? Radio? TV? Right now, I am pretty much all word of mouth, although I do have a well made website and over 1500 likes on Facebook.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

I use facebook, twitter and google ads. And flyers like crazy. Plus Instagram. Tried radio but it was overly expensive and didn't do much for business.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

Thanks

Not to bring up what's already been said, but could some of you post what you have on your "disclaimer" that you have people sign? I have never done one of these, but I probably should with the volume I run. Haven't been sued yet, although I have had to replace maybe 2 phones out of thousands I have repaired.
    I bet you it was competition acting like Apple lawyers.

I have a buddy who sells knock off Otterboxes. He got a letter in the mail from "Otterbox" stating that they would "fine him" or "sue him". He hasn't heard anything at all lately. We think it was another repair/cell phone place.
    iRepair Indy

+ Reply
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast