+ Reply
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Anyone run their own repair shop?

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey Guys, I'm planning on starting my own repair shop and was wondering if any of you have any advice? I've heard of some places having people sign waivers or
    Thanks
    Hey Guys,

I'm planning on starting my own repair shop and was wondering if any of you have any advice?

I've heard of some places having people sign waivers or consent forms on repairs and was wondering what you guys think of this?

I've been working for a repair shop for more than a year and figured I should open my own. I've already got a pretty good distributor and have been pretty much stock piling parts over the past few months so my cost would be low when or if I have to apply for a business loan. Was wondering what advertisement you guys do or any type of events to spread the word.

Thanks for all the help, plan on opening up the shop in June/July of this year. Cant wait!

-Chris

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I would say a waiver for a business yes, especially since all customers should acknowledge the fact they are voiding any factory warranty they have once you start working on the phone.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,866 Times in 2,206 Posts

+1 you avoid alot of law suits that way
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

Yep. I have a generic agreement that everyone signs and then a "runner" that they also sign depending on which device they are getting repaired. Each one has its own quirks so those are kind of laid out in the runner. My iPod Touch one basically tells them not to get it repaired haha. I hate those.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iRevival View Post
    Yep. I have a generic agreement that everyone signs and then a "runner" that they also sign depending on which device they are getting repaired. Each one has its own quirks so those are kind of laid out in the runner. My iPod Touch one basically tells them not to get it repaired haha. I hate those.
    Ohh come on, they aren't THAT bad. :]

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

Haha. They are my most popular repair. I just hate them lol. And I broke one the other day that I had to replace so I'm really sour on them at the moment.

Btw. What are everyone's thoughts on parts with the logos vs. parts without them?
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iRevival View Post
    Haha. They are my most popular repair. I just hate them lol. And I broke one the other day that I had to replace so I'm really sour on them at the moment.

Btw. What are everyone's thoughts on parts with the logos vs. parts without them?
    I asked a guy on Instagram about that the other day, never heard of Apple ever pursuing places before, but they claim to have been sued by Apple so no longer use the logo backs.

I only do this on the side, not as a full time business, so my repairs are far and few between most of the time and mostly word of mouth.

Thanks

We've never been pursued but there's no way we wouldn't carry the real backs. So many places around here have blank backs and they're just cheap junk. There's a Cellairis here that does repairs and they don't even tell the customer it doesn't have the Apple logo. We don't put them out on display because there's an Apple store here but customers are aware that we have them and that they have the logo.

Thanks
    How do you guys usually handle phones or devices that get broken during the repair (unrepairable). Do you just pay what the device is worth or do you take it to apple and swap it out?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kelenus View Post
    How do you guys usually handle phones or devices that get broken during the repair (unrepairable). Do you just pay what the device is worth or do you take it to apple and swap it out?
    The customer signs a sheet that says that we will fix the device to the best of our ability. Luckily, we keep every part for the iPhone 4/4S on hand so in the rare event that something does go wrong, we can fix it.

There has only been one incident where a phone went completely dead. We have no clue how either. We do quite a few phones a day so it was odd that it happened. We also keep REAL OEM lcd/digi assemblies at the shop for cases like this. We will put everything back to original and if it's under warranty, we will let the customer know what happened and we will swap it. If it's not under warranty, it's up to the customer what they want to do. They sign the sheet and it's also explained to them that they are voiding any warranty and that we will repair as best as we can.

It's kind of a grey area. Luckily, we've only had the one issue.

Thanks
    We've had it a few times where either te phone completely goes out and no new part will revive it or the LCD goes out and won't work with any replacements we have. I've always wondered how others repair stores handled situations like this.

You don't have much trouble with electric static discharge (ESD)?

What are your guy's thought on glass repairs for iPhone 5s? Do you just change the assembly out or use another method?

What's Jailbreak? iDoctors Chicago's Avatar
    Thanks

We've had it a few times where either te phone completely goes out and no new part will revive it or the LCD goes out and won't work with any replacements we have. I've always wondered how others repair stores handled situations like this.

You don't have much trouble with electric static discharge (ESD)?

What are your guy's thought on glass repairs for iPhone 5s? Do you just change the assembly out or use another method?
    What other method is there for the iPhone 5? Digitizer and LCD are fused together just like the 4 and 4s.

Thanks
    Who says the iPhone 5 glass is fused together? The 4 and 4s are fused but not the 5. I wouldn't recommend trying to seperate the glass and LCD unless you're pretty experienced in doing repairs, pretty easy to ruin the LCD

Thanks

Who says the iPhone 5 glass is fused together? The 4 and 4s are fused but not the 5. I wouldn't recommend trying to seperate the glass and LCD unless you're pretty experienced in doing repairs, pretty easy to ruin the LCD
    Interesting. Haven't tried to separate the digitizer from the LCD yet on the iPhone 5. I was almost certain that they were fused together just like the 4 and 4s. What method do you use to separate them?

Thanks
    iDoctors sounds familiar. Do you have a store in California?

Thanks

iDoctors sounds familiar. Do you have a store in California?
    No. Chicagoland area.

Thanks
    O cool, there's an iDoctor here in California too.

I'll see if I can post the video on how to do the iPhone 5 glass repair, if I can't ill just post the link to the video

Thanks

O cool, there's an iDoctor here in California too.

I'll see if I can post the video on how to do the iPhone 5 glass repair, if I can't ill just post the link to the video
    I am not going to say its impossible to remove the LCD from the glass, but i find it highly unlikely with out ruining the lcd in some way by either cracking or scratching. On top of that time is money i am not spending 2-3 hours trying to separate the 2. Hell i am not going to spend more then 10 mins.

There is a reason you cant find a repair shop doing the repair for under $200 and thats because you CANT REPLACE JUST THE Glass.

Then on top of everything else send me a link it doesn't even have to be posted here pm a link where you are finding a iphone 5 digitizer.
    If your sending me a link like this Apple iPhone 5 Glass Lens I am just going to laugh in your face!

You cant separate the 2, Glass and LCD and then put it back together to make it work. There is still the digitizer. Do you know what the digitizer looks like? It is an ultra thin. (I mean super thin) film which is fused to the glass. Yes fused as in can not separate!

I have more suppliers in my pocket then most people can possibly imagine and none of them have ever sent me pricing on a iPhone 5 DIGITIZER i have seen iPhone 5 FRONT GLASS for $10 bucks or less but not with the digitizer assembly.

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks
    Wow what a jerk. Well you'll be seeing iphone 5 glass repairs for 149.99 pretty soon at all ------ branches. Wish I could help you guys out, but not when some jerk somehow KNOWS it cant be done. By the way, the repair only takes about 35-45 mins, cost of glass is $10, $140 profit is well worth it.
    Last edited by Kelenus; 01-20-2013 at 07:50 PM.

Thanks

Dude I could offer the repair for $140.
    But no need to be that competitive.
    But until I see some hard evidence I am not going to believe a word.