Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 WiFi adapter not working

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default iPhone 4 WiFi adapter not working
    Hello,

I recently made the mistake of buying an iPhone 4 off Craigslist. After getting it home I discovered the phone was unable to detect WiFi networks. I promptly took it to the Apple store in hopes I might be able to have them fix it. At that point I was informed the phone was modified and it had a new mainboard. I don't care so much about that, as I have no issue with modding, but I need the wireless to work. So now instead of buying a new phone I'd like to see if repair is an option. If you're able to fix hardware issues like this, please let me know.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Replace the wifi antenna. There are plenty of videos that can guide you.
    If I helped you in any way, please click on the button!

If Wifi works when you're a few inches from the router then most likely the problem is missing WiFi grounding "metal clip." This is usually the culprit. See the below link for the location of 4.8mm phillips screw. That is where the grounding metal clip should be. If it's lost, I heard that putting a small piece of aluminum foil there would also work.

Installing iPhone 4 Wi-Fi Antenna - Page 2 - iFixit

Good luck

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hcgaloi For This Useful Post:

trigun989 (06-04-2012)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hcgaloi View Post
    If Wifi works when you're a few inches from the router then most likely the problem is missing WiFi grounding "metal clip." This is usually the culprit. See the below link for the location of 4.8mm phillips screw. That is where the grounding metal clip should be. If it's lost, I heard that putting a small piece of aluminum foil there would also work.

Good luck
    im having the same issue. though i get a signal but lowest one from about 5 meters away. on my other iphone i get full bars.

would be same issue? and im sure the metal clip is there.
    Last edited by trigun989; 06-04-2012 at 10:37 AM.

trigun989... Most likely your issue is with the WiFi metal ground clip. Try to clean the contacts on both metal clips and motherboard with Q-tip and 99% rubbing alcohol. Also, make sure the screw is not too loose. Good luck

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hcgaloi View Post

Good luck
    Sadly that doesn't seem to be it. I have a feeling I'll need to get a replacement Wifi Adapter. I've been searching Google, but haven't had any luck finding this replacement part. Are there any good sites that any of you have used and would recommend?