+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: High Cycle Count vs. Capacity

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I'm wondering if the battery in my iPhone 4 needs to be replaced because I'm seeing myself recharge the phone 2-3 times daily on little-moderate use. According to batteryinfolite the
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default High Cycle Count vs. Capacity
    I'm wondering if the battery in my iPhone 4 needs to be replaced because I'm seeing myself recharge the phone 2-3 times daily on little-moderate use. According to batteryinfolite the Max capacity is 1405, 15 less than designed capacity, while the cycle count is at 608. I was under the impression that mAH capacity is what determined how long a battery lasted/health. But due to my horrific battery life I thought maybe the cycle count had something to do with it?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

It sounds like it needs to be replaced. I charge my iPhone 4 once a day on heavy use (about mid-evening from 7AM). On days with light-moderate use I don't need to charge it until I go to bed, even then it still has 20-40% at the end of the day (from 7AM). I don't know about all that specific details you mentioned, but yeah with what you said about how many times you're charging it it doesn't sound right.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

Cycle count does have a lot to do with it. On a lithium battery every time you plug it in to charge the battery actually weakens. Its very slow and gradual but you can tell a difference over time thats for sure. That is the down fall to lithium the positives it doesn't build a memory like older batteries use to so you don't have to let it completely die before a charge. So charging at 90% or 10% doesn't matter. What does matter is the cycles.

Just because for example annies phone last 7am to 3pm so 8 hours and mine is only last from 7am-noon does mean anything really. I could be doing more talking or have more tweaks and stuff running and all she uses is safari and iMessage. So it makes it hard to compare battery life to another user because everyone uses there phone differently.

Hope that helps some.
    Last edited by Cowboy; 04-25-2012 at 11:34 PM.
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for all the replies and insight. I just replaced the battery with a brand new one a few days ago. So far it seems like that solved my problems. I still have to charge it once, at most twice a day with heavier usage, but I assume that's due to all the jailbreak apps/mods I have installed.