+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Proximity sensor woes

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Ok guys. I've been having a terrible time with proximity sensors the past couple of weeks. Most of the time I can fix the issue, but there is one phone
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Proximity sensor woes
    Ok guys. I've been having a terrible time with proximity sensors the past couple of weeks. Most of the time I can fix the issue, but there is one phone that the issue is not resolved.

I've tried the electrical tape fix, the sharpie fix, new glass, new sensors, all to no avail. The only thing I haven't done is restore which I will have the customer do.

Does anyone have any other thoughts in this. He brought it in to fix the screen and get red outlines on it. Did that and now the prox sensor doesn't work and nothing I try fixes it. Everything else associated with that cable works except the sensor.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Kioes's Avatar
    Thanks

sometimes new hardware won't work until a restore is done. back up restore, set up as new iphone though. should fix the problem.
    Hit the thanks button if i helped in anyway

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kioes For This Useful Post:

mvn (03-30-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 587 Posts

The proximity sensor could be bad. I'd replace that flex if the restore doesn't work

mvn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kioes View Post
    sometimes new hardware won't work until a restore is done. back up restore, set up as new iphone though. should fix the problem.
    This is an excellent point although a rare a circumstance, always good to flush the system in order to restore default function. By tampering with iPhones internal, you essentially risking freezing up some components.

Proximity sensor and the usage of low quality aftermarkets can be tricky, it is a notable factor that you get what you pay for. The issues are most common with the lower quality kits especially being applied to first generation of the iPhone 4. The Verizon iPhone 4 and 4S do not face the same issues as the design has been perfected by Apple. In the 4S the proximity sensor is completely re-designed and the prox. sensor has been relocated as well.

Also when purchasing replacements of the power button/proximity/silence mic assembly, you will be receiving without the reflective film and the foam gasket. This light insulator allows the proximity sensor to probably measure light exposure. If that is the case then you need to be careful when removing the front plate as sometimes the film can get stuck to the front plate (especially with shattered glass, sometimes it can be simply missing if the area was completed exposed).
    Apple Technician - Modder

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Did this get solved? I've got the same problem.

I have replaced the screen on a black iphone 4. Normally if the sensor stops working, it is because the new screen is a light colored one like pink. This one is black but since the sensor isn't responding, I bought one of those sticker pads to put over the sensor. Still not working. I used a permanent marker on the back of the screen where the light shines through. Same result. Restored the phone to 5.1 and wiped out everything. Still the same. Bought a new sensor. Still not working. Went out and bought ANOTHER screen. Same thing. For the heck of it, I restored again. Nothing

So frustrating especially since they won't update that CallLock tweak so it is compatible with ios5. Anyone able to help?

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

The restore fixed the issue for him. It was literally the last ditch effort, and I'm happy it worked. The crazy thing about it was all I did was swap the bezels from black to red. Proximity sensor stopped working after that and he needed to restore, so something must not have been lining up right. Here's a list of things that I tried with this particular one. Maybe you'll get one of these to work.

Replaced Proximity sensor flex cable (3 times)
    New front screen (3 different screens, 2 OEM and one aftermarket)
    Proximity sensor frame (you can find these a few different places but I've never actually had to use one)

Black sharpie on the screens (a couple layers to darken it pretty well)
    Electrical tape between the sensors (this has worked plenty of times when I swap midframes)
    Electrical tape over the sensors (try out varying sized holes over the actual sensors, there needs to be a hole to let in light, but varying the size of the hole will allow different amounts of light through so you may have to try a few different sizes)
    Clear tape over the sensors completely colored over with black sharpie (to let in almost no light)
    Restore

Hopefully one of those gets you up and running.

His iPhone just didn't like being taken apart apparently lol. I tried EVERYTHING before asking him to restore.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!