Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: is my iphone Dead.

Default is my iphone Dead.
    first post guys,so sorry if it goes on a bit. i have a iphone 3gs runniing ios 4.3....jailbroken with Cydia. unplugged it from the charger and the screen went blank (grey/ black like a tv thats just been swithched. from then on nothing!. tried putting into recovery mode/DFU i think (sorry new to it all) but nothing. the phone is not been recongnised by itunes any longer. the first couple of times i connected to laptop it recognised a usb attachment but then nothing.
    have i somehow fried the phone or does it stand any chance or resusatation.

Hi, it's very rare to brick or fry an iPhone but you will come across issues like this. It's hard to say what the problem is but more than often the phone will come back to life on its own. Sounds stupid but try plugging charger back in and try dfu mode again. I've had many scary moments over the last couple of years of jailbreaking but just keep trying buttons etc. Not much help I know but has always worked for me with plugging charger in. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by andymanone View Post
    Hi, it's very rare to brick or fry an iPhone but you will come across issues like this. It's hard to say what the problem is but more than often the phone will come back to life on its own. Sounds stupid but try plugging charger back in and try dfu mode again. I've had many scary moments over the last couple of years of jailbreaking but just keep trying buttons etc. Not much help I know but has always worked for me with plugging charger in. Good luck
    thanks for the reassurance, i will keep trying. do i have to be connected to pc/;laptop to get phone into dfu mode?

My iPhone is a Part of Me Susty's Avatar
    Thanks

No you don't, just press & hold the home & power buttons for about 15-20 secs... You might see the screen flicker once or twice... Just keep it held.

You can try it plugged in to pc if all else fails, ya never know. Had mine die for two days once n then came back on. Had many scares over the years but it always seems to work out. Trying everything won't hurt. Now on my third jailbroken iPhone and personally having problems like this helps you to overcome these issues. Unless of course you are one of the lucky ones but I've never personally known any of the brick club. Good luck and let me know if ya sort it, Andy.

jailbreak

just to add the battery is still getting warm while plugged into the charger

You can try it plugged in to pc if all else fails, ya never know. Had mine die for two days once n then came back on. Had many scares over the years but it always seems to work out. Trying everything won't hurt. Now on my third jailbroken iPhone and personally having problems like this helps you to overcome these issues. Unless of course you are one of the lucky ones but I've never personally known any of the brick club. Good luck and let me know if ya sort it, Andy.

jailbreak
    should i leave alone then for a length of time without fiddling with it. (uncharged etc)
    never though i would miss a phone so much (although i am sure the missus isn't complaining)
    Last edited by oeamon; 03-13-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Sorry I meant unlucky ones. What did you jailbreak with?

How long has it been dead now then? Have u tried holding both buttons in for like a minute, plugged in and not. Try leaving it on charge for hour or do also, that's worked for me. Other than that I'm not really much help. Just telling ya what's helped me. Hope ya sort it, there's nothing worse than not having it.

Also if ya not running latest version of iTunes u could try installing that n then see if it finds the phone. Don't do a restore though if it does unless u wanna loose the jailbreak. If nothing's works n it stays dead for longer than three days I would think u have a brick but there are people out there that know alot more than me so keep looking n asking.
    Last edited by andymanone; 03-13-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Sorry I meant unlucky ones. What did you jailbreak with?

How long has it been dead now then? Have u tried holding both buttons in for like a minute, plugged in and not. Try leaving it on charge for hour or do also, that's worked for me. Other than that I'm not really much help. Just telling ya what's helped me. Hope ya sort it, there's nothing worse than not having it.

Also if ya not running latest version of iTunes u could try installing that n then see if it finds the phone. Don't do a restore though if it does unless u wanna loose the jailbreak. If nothing's works n it stays dead for longer than three days I would think u have a brick but there are people out there that know alot more than me so keep looking n asking.
    been dead for 24 hours now but i have been messin at it since.
    jailbreaked with cydia
    Last edited by oeamon; 03-13-2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: error

Right ok, u don't actually jailbreak with cydia so I'm guessing u didn't do it?? Was asking as it may help to know what was used as some jailbreak tools may have issues others could help with. I'm no expert, just had years of experience messing about with jailbroken devices and had many issues to fix myself. Have you tried holding buttons down together then letting go of one after a while, then try again but alternate buttons??

i am working my way through the suggestion but no luck thus far.
    have installed itunes on another machine but still does not recognise device.
    will try the alternating buttons idea.
    tbh i am not really sure how i jailbreaked. i just added the cydia app to the phone and then realised later it had been broken. not exactly sure how.
    could do with some step by step instructions to attempt the different suggestion as i am not sure whether the iphone should be connect to a charger the pc of just without either

Hi again, was the jailbreak just before the phone died. If so I'm guessing u done something wrong whilst jailbreaking. U can't just add cydia unless using a jailbreak tool like Redsnow so it's difficult to say what to do. From experience trying dfu mode plugged in, on charge or whatever usually sorts things. If that fails then just try anything. Without knowing what u have done im not sure what to suggest other than what I've already said. Keep asking about till someone gives more advice.

thanks andymanone i am starting to think its a no hoper.
    have not done anything to the phone in weeks. last connected to itunes a month ago but no ios update. simply removed the charger from the phone in the car and the screen went grey and that the last thing it did.
    i think i just went to jailbreakme and i am not sure what happened after that. i was surprised when i then installed cydi and the phone awas already jailbroken...

No worries, sorry I'm not much help.