Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 4 error 1601 troubles

Default Iphone 4 error 1601 troubles
    Hi I'm after some advise please, my mates iPhone 4 was charging one night and when he woke up it wouldn't turn on.
    No sign of life until I put it in recovery mode then iTunes recognised it and I tried restoring it but it came up with error 1601.
    Is there way around this as the warranty has expired.
    Thanks

Thanks

Download umbrella from the dev teams blog and try "fix recovery" if this doesn't work I know what will. I'm just trying to save your buddy from restoring.

Will this work even though the phone has never been jailbroken???

Thanks

It might. And sorry it's called Tiny Umbrella

Ok so what is happening is that iTunes checks with apples servers if your device is "allowed" to restore so if tiny umbrella doesn't fix the problem then there is a way to trick iTunes into thinking your "allowed" when really your not.

First you will need to find the iTunes "hosts" file located at:

CWindows\System32\Drivers\ect\

Open the hosts file in notepad and add the following lines to the very bottom of the hosts file:

74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

Make sure you remove any other line that contains gs.apple.com then save the file

Do this all while iTunes is open. Then try the restore. It might not work the first time so you may have to edit the hosts file again(try closing all iTunes processes with task manager then editing the hosts file) once I had to edit it like 10 times before it worked.
    Last edited by nic0m0d; 02-01-2012 at 10:55 PM.

Hi i appreciate your help but i have another question, When i try to save the file it says unable to save make sure the path and filename are correct????
    How do i do that and should it be saying that? Also the phone is completely blank all throughout this process and only gets recognized when i put it in recovery.

Thanks

I had a similar problem. Copy it and paste it to the desktop then edit it. Then you just drag it into Cwindows\system32\drivers\ect\ and replace the other file

arrrggghhhhh i'm getting error 3194 now any ideas???

Thanks

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694

Make sure you have the current up to date version of iTunes and just keep repeating the steps of replacing that hosts file. Eventually it should work. I hope

if its a restore error. put it in dfu mode.
    download iREB and do pwned dfu mode, then restore.
    that will work, i fixed my brothers iphone like this.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

if you delets all the apple lines in the host file it will work. had to to it with mine last night

hi all,

i am having the error 1601 error also .

my little brother accidently updated my iphone 3gs to 5.1 and my sim could not setup the phone.

i want to downgrade to 5.0.1 but i do all the steps and my itunes hangs at " preparing iphone for restore " and than suddenly i get error 1601

pls help.

edit: i have also the new itunes 10.6
    Last edited by niguel; 03-09-2012 at 04:13 PM.