Results 1 to 18 of 18

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Any positive stories with the KO light mod?

  1. #1
    Default Any positive stories with the KO light mod?
    I will be installing my light mod this week when it comes in with what I was told to be a better way to install. All I read is horror stories from people installing it. Just wondering if anyone has had a 100% successful install?

  2. #2
    iPhone? More like MyPhone mvn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    119
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts

    Be very careful with the glass, the quality of it is very poor and will break easily. I have personally tested and installed this mod on a couple of iPhones, you're lucky if your glass did not magically shatter as you were sliding in the back.

    Overall, the mod is at its earliest stage and very raw. The wiring of the mod screams amateur and personally i expected something more unique and feasible to the consumer market for easy installation. Word of advice make sure the Z (red cable) is done properly once you tap into the logic board and apply tape because if its loose in some sense, you will notice your light will dim and turn off at times. Prepare for light leakage as the frames used are not original and may not sit flush.
    Apple Technician - Modder

  3. #3
    For sure! I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to test out a few things on my spare phone when I get it. There HAS to be a way to reduce the average consumer from damaging so easily. Even if it's a poor quality kit. How about removing the battery until you are ready to check power to LED? I've torn iPhones apart several times to replace parts. I would call myself fairly skilled and just want to bounce ideas off some other people with experience on the behaviors of these beautiful machines.

  4. #4
    Hi, I am also very interested in any additional tips to the K.O Gadget instructions. I think it should be more easy if he battery was removed. Do you think you can prevent with this any damage to the phone? I am very sceptical to connect the golden wire to one screw... if you choose the wring one you will losse wifi, viration or gps I read on the net... And I think soldering is a more reliable solution than with tape...

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf2001 View Post
    Hi, I am also very interested in any additional tips to the K.O Gadget instructions. I think it should be more easy if he battery was removed. Do you think you can prevent with this any damage to the phone? I am very sceptical to connect the golden wire to one screw... if you choose the wring one you will losse wifi, viration or gps I read on the net... And I think soldering is a more reliable solution than with tape...
    I would assume that having the battery while you secure the wires to the correct location would prevent shorts in the phone. Soldering would be better if, and only if, you are skilled enough to solder in a small location with out having the solder touch other circuits. Once my kit comes in, I plan on spending a couple hours finding the best solution to this install.

  6. #6
    Nice! Im very inerested in your solution. Maybe your solution will be with the LED powerspot Would be pleased if you take some photos.
    Do you know whne your kit will arrive?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf2001 View Post
    Nice! Im very inerested in your solution. Maybe your solution will be with the LED powerspot Would be pleased if you take some photos.
    Do you know whne your kit will arrive?
    It shipped off this a.m. from Texas and its coming to Oregon. So I'll have it in a couple days and I will post pics when I install

  8. #8
    iPhone? More like MyPhone mvn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    119
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts

    Do not solder the wire to the port where KO Gadget is asking you to connect it to. You make the Z shape so that when you place it on the logic board, its touching not the top of the module but rather the side. It has to almost wrap around one side and touch the top as well. It will not work until you place the other wire somewhere that it will connect to the frame. A lot of screws go directly into the frame but there is only a few you can reach with the second wire. Follow the recommended location fo KO Gadget and you should be fine. It is common to have the cable go loose overtime or after a drop so you might need to get to it again. You also roll up some of the adhesive to create "padding" so that pushes down that area to make sure the cable does not shift.

    You do not want this mod to become permanent with soldering, although it might be secure when you want to remove it afterwards you might overheat something. Most of this work is done on a micro level and not with a soldering iron but rather a heat gun.
    Apple Technician - Modder

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by mvn View Post
    Do not solder the wire to the port where KO Gadget is asking you to connect it to. You make the Z shape so that when you place it on the logic board, its touching not the top of the module but rather the side. It has to almost wrap around one side and touch the top as well. It will not work until you place the other wire somewhere that it will connect to the frame. A lot of screws go directly into the frame but there is only a few you can reach with the second wire. Follow the recommended location fo KO Gadget and you should be fine. It is common to have the cable go loose overtime or after a drop so you might need to get to it again. You also roll up some of the adhesive to create "padding" so that pushes down that area to make sure the cable does not shift.

    You do not want this mod to become permanent with soldering, although it might be secure when you want to remove it afterwards you might overheat something. Most of this work is done on a micro level and not with a soldering iron but rather a heat gun.
    Thanks for the input. That makes a lot of sense. I plan on pretty much following the instructions provided. Do you think it would reduce the effect of shorts by removing battery before install?

  10. #10
    I got my kit from lightmyiphone last night. I installed it on my iphone without any problems. The frame around the back panel is loose and needed to be crazy glued back on. There is some light leakage around the edges of the phone.

    The worst part of the whole thing is the fact that when you take pictures with the flash on, pictures get washed out in white light. HORRIBLE.

    I can live with everything else, but not with the flash problem.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by oogotbagsoo View Post
    I got my kit from lightmyiphone last night. I installed it on my iphone without any problems. The frame around the back panel is loose and needed to be crazy glued back on. There is some light leakage around the edges of the phone.

    The worst part of the whole thing is the fact that when you take pictures with the flash on, pictures get washed out in white light. HORRIBLE.

    I can live with everything else, but not with the flash problem.
    The light leakage is pretty bad on my phone but I use a case and eliminates that problem. This is a very "cheap" product... You just got to make the most of it. I tested my flash and I'm not getting any white blur with it. I read that the people having the flash problem put a little piece of sponge in between the flash and camera. They used the spongy sticker you use to surround the L.E.D with and secure it from sliding around. Just cut a very small piece off it and place it between the camera and flash and it should fix the problem.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ222 For This Useful Post:

    oogotbagsoo (01-29-2012)

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ222 View Post
    The light leakage is pretty bad on my phone but I use a case and eliminates that problem. This is a very "cheap" product... You just got to make the most of it. I tested my flash and I'm not getting any white blur with it. I read that the people having the flash problem put a little piece of sponge in between the flash and camera. They used the spongy sticker you use to surround the L.E.D with and secure it from sliding around. Just cut a very small piece off it and place it between the camera and flash and it should fix the problem.
    Thanks man. I'll try it out.

  14. #13
    I had a relatively successful installation after doing the Z wire a couple of times. It worked as it should, but the rear case wouldn't fit without a bulge at the top.
    I removed the whole kit 5 minutes after fitting in disgust as it ruined the camera and made the phone feel really cheap.
    I can't imagine something that's held together with a couple of bits of tape lasting very long - nor being very good for the phone.

    Personally I would avoid it for a while until they refine it.

  15. #14
    It really is horrible how bad of quality this product is. I had to put an extra tube of electrical tape over the Z wire to give it enough pressure to stay on and not come loose because the backing doesn't secure properly. I bought it knowing the horror stories but its just so darn cool! I had to have it. I always have a case (that shows the apple of course) on, so the gaps and light leakage are not a big factor to me. I will replace it with a better build if anyone ever comes out with one....Maybe with the iPhone 5??? :-)

  16. #15
    this is my review/ thoughts on it... I'm pretty positive about the mod and am very happy with the results!

    DONE! Thanks for the tip! It was a bit of a botch job... I used a splurger and prized the screw free! Thank god nothing broke! It's installed and I love it! Hope I never need to take it back to apple cos the inside of this thing is now a MESS! It was a struggle getting it all together, but 45 mins wrestling with it got it working well! I have noticed as I'm typing this that my wifi isn't working... That's probably because of where I atatched the brown wire to the top left of the frame. Hopefully easily fixed!

    NOTE: the wifi issue sorted itself out some how after a couple of re-boots? although i haven't seen the full bars I'm used to getting since the install!

    no reported light leak camera issues either!

    And... I know it's been said but this back is really thin... And cheep, it's plastic not glass! On install I was super carefully not to snap it but because it bows over where the led is installed the top of the "glass" has popped out of the white bezzle. I've used a bumper for a quick cheep fix which is working well for the moment... Tomorrow I'll be out with the super glue to fix the issue! Overall I'm happy even tho it was a massive botch operation! i have no previous knowledge of hardware mods and although it was a bit daunting and improvised i got it done and am very happy with the thing!

  17. #16
    Cool Glowing apple mod worked great for me.
    I just did the mod, and although it does seem ghetto, it works very well on my phone. In order for this to be a simple mod for most people to install they use double sided tape, but unless youre a pro with a soldering iron, it works just fine. The back plate I recieved had all the exact same mounting tabs on it, it was just missing some of the aluminum tape (or whatever it is) that's on the back of the oem plate. It did fit tightly though and I have no light seepage at all. Just my 2 cents. I'd love to do this too my iPad too, come on ko gadget.

  18. #17
    although i have experience working on other cellular devices, ive never taken an iPhone 4S apart before i ordered this mod, it took about 20 minutes and two tries to get the Z cable right but other than that, no real problems on install. Only issues are the light leakage from the top of the back plate where the clear plastic? meets the white plastic and on the sides its not flush with the phone, probably due to the placement of the sticky tape holding the light to the back of the plate. Overall satisfied with time and effort it took. Good luck to eveyone who attempts this!!! i also have a commuter series otterbox on in so the leakage and plate not being flush really dont bother me.

  19. #18
    iPhone? More like MyPhone dannyrocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    152
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts

    I was very sceptical at first but found no problems with anything after a month installed. Light coverage is a little bit off but not really noticeable unless you are staring at it!
    I would not solder it but what I did was use hot glue which is easily removable if need be and safer to use. I also just removed the battery when I installed the mod.
    Instead of using the rolled up tape method, I just used some padded tape like they give you to replace the rolled up tape and it works great.
    Yea the back is flimsy I guess but I had no issues whatsoever and I treated the back like I would the original back....when sliding on the back Push down on the edges of the back housing and you should have no issues.
    I also installed the copper wire to a screw on the side of frame because I notice that everybody having wifi issues and proximity sensor problems attached their copper wire per Kogadgets instructions.
    I heard that is the wifi screw?!?!
    Well good luck and take you're time and one more thing is a magnifying glass would help you're install Very much.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •