+ Reply
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Installing KOGadget's LightMod

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey guys, I made an account just for this. Normally I just lurk but no one has answered the question I was looking for. Does it matter if I use
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey guys, I made an account just for this. Normally I just lurk but no one has answered the question I was looking for.
    Does it matter if I use 3rd party double sided tape? Would it matter?
    The tape I got was white and was so bad it stuck to one side of the paper and didnt come off -_-

Also, for the wifi thing, where should I put the brown wire?

Thanks guys!

Green Apple
    Thanks

@FetusSmasher: I think it's possible to use another kind of double sided tape. With your brown wire I don't know... have to find out, read something on the net...

I bought the K.O. Gadget mod Kit too and want to mod my Iphone 4. But I want to differ the instructions from KOGadget a bit. I think their connection spot is very very risky, so I decided to take the power from the LCD backlight connection.
    So the light of the LED panel light up when the screen is powered. Unfortunately I found no instruction online for this...
    Only an interesting site: BLOG↓: .....

He took the display connection spot, which I want to use, but I don't know if have to use some resistors for KOgadgets led packpanel...
    I modified Ylliers picture a bit to show the connection point of Iphone 4/ and S. Maybe an 680 Ohm resistor is suitable for that... or 2k Ohm... someone here used this for an 3gs...http://www.faq4mobiles.de/forum/ipho...eleuchten.html
    Installing KOGadget's LightMod-386025_306799632699346_205115102867800_910570_1422564734_n.jpg

Maybe someone have an instruction or ideas to initiate this
    Don't want to break my phone with this mod - but I think this is safer than the KOgadgets small connectionspot

Green Apple
    Thanks

I ordered my KO Gadget kit from lightmyiphone.com (the only authorized U.S. reseller) and they said they have stream lined the instructions and made them better so you won't screw up you phone. My kit should be in this weak and I'll report what I find out. Hopefully their included instructions will be less risky!

I wish they made a mod to make the screen bigger so I wouldn't have so many typos! LOL

mvn
    Thanks

Sorry to say but there is no different approach on how to install this mod, they might be able to clarify certain details in laymans term but in the end if you find it risky now, it will be just as risky then. Make sure to secure the red cable (Z shape) securely to the port on the logic board otherwise you will experience dimness, random shutting off/on, and other buggy effects as the cables gets loose overtime and is only secured by tape. Again, be VERY careful with the glass back cover as it is prone to break on slight pressure. Forget about dropping the phone and since you still cannot purchase back replacements anywhere yet, do your best not to mess up your only one.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ222 View Post
    I ordered my KO Gadget kit from lightmyiphone.com (the only authorized U.S. reseller) and they said they have stream lined the instructions and made them better so you won't screw up you phone. My kit should be in this weak and I'll report what I find out. Hopefully their included instructions will be less risky!

I wish they made a mod to make the screen bigger so I wouldn't have so many typos! LOL
    To help you out here and save you the hassle of burning your logic board, connect to the port provided by ko gadget although not exactly a method i would use for such a design (if you can even call it that) but it is safer then what you have in mind to follow. By tapping into the LCD power you risk burning the LCD if not the logic board if you do not properly solder or attach. I have managed to successfuly route the power to six powerful leds that way and in a weeks time the LCD burned out (cases may vary). Anywhere you play it, by stealing power you're creating a stream that is not familiar to the mainframe of the iPhone. Disruptions like that are not exactly healthy no matter which way you play it although there is no effects in the beginning i would not be surprised if they occur overtime.

Reference:

There are companies that are working now on a much better solutions which is safe and just as easy to install as an iPhone 4 battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf2001 View Post
    @FetusSmasher: I think it's possible to use another kind of double sided tape. With your brown wire I don't know... have to find out, read something on the net...

I bought the K.O. Gadget mod Kit too and want to mod my Iphone 4. But I want to differ the instructions from KOGadget a bit. I think their connection spot is very very risky, so I decided to take the power from the LCD backlight connection.
    So the light of the LED panel light up when the screen is powered. Unfortunately I found no instruction online for this...
    Only an interesting site: BLOG↓: .....

He took the display connection spot, which I want to use, but I don't know if have to use some resistors for KOgadgets led packpanel...
    I modified Ylliers picture a bit to show the connection point of Iphone 4/ and S. Maybe an 680 Ohm resistor is suitable for that... or 2k Ohm... someone here used this for an 3gs...Apple Logo mit einer SMD LED am Backcover beleuchten
    Attachment 561953

Maybe someone have an instruction or ideas to initiate this
    Don't want to break my phone with this mod - but I think this is safer than the KOgadgets small connectionspot
    Quote Originally Posted by FetusSmasher View Post
    Hey guys, I made an account just for this. Normally I just lurk but no one has answered the question I was looking for.
    Does it matter if I use 3rd party double sided tape? Would it matter?
    The tape I got was white and was so bad it stuck to one side of the paper and didnt come off -_-

Also, for the wifi thing, where should I put the brown wire?

Thanks guys!
    Tape has to insulate current otherwise you risk getting a short.
    Last edited by mvn; 01-24-2012 at 01:26 AM.
    Apple Technician - Modder

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hey there,
    i recieved my light mod kit yesterday and i finished the installation (took me an hour or so...), it really works fine BUT my camera isnīt working..i figured out how to fix the vibrate problem (cables in motor) but now iīm really really afraid because of this "new" issue..
    is there anyone who can help me?
    the camera app wonīt open..itīs like a loop or something like that..when the camera opens the blende ( i donīt know how to translate it) wonīt open so that i can see through the lense...please help me!!!!

mvn
    Thanks

Very simple, you powered on your camera without the camera being installed properly or connector loose. Check camera connector, go to Settings > General > Reset all settings. Open camera app and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by jussl View Post
    hey there,
    i recieved my light mod kit yesterday and i finished the installation (took me an hour or so...), it really works fine BUT my camera isnīt working..i figured out how to fix the vibrate problem (cables in motor) but now iīm really really afraid because of this "new" issue..
    is there anyone who can help me?
    the camera app wonīt open..itīs like a loop or something like that..when the camera opens the blende ( i donīt know how to translate it) wonīt open so that i can see through the lense...please help me!!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hi, thanks for the report! Really? Your display burned out? Can not imagine that, because the power is lower than in normal situation before installing the new LEDs... Do you know how the better solution looks like? Do they use an other connection spot?
    I my case I only want to install a singel LED of the KoGadget light mod to the display... do you think this small LED powerconsumption will cause an displaydamage?
    You see I am looking for an other solution to connect the LED than Kogadegts because in that case the LED lights up if there is data transfer AND if you charge your iphone over night... this is no solution for me...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mvn View Post
    Very simple, you powered on your camera without the camera being installed properly or connector loose. Check camera connector, go to Settings > General > Reset all settings. Open camera app and enjoy.
    doesn't work....

mvn
    Thanks

If the problem is in constant light up during notifications and power then the LCD is the best choice. I cant say there wouldnt be any damage but either way, best bet is to run with kogadgets instructions. A better solution is coming and i do not mean to ko gadgets mod but rather just a different design.

Hi, thanks for the report! Really? Your display burned out? Can not imagine that, because the power is lower than in normal situation before installing the new LEDs... Do you know how the better solution looks like? Do they use an other connection spot?
    I my case I only want to install a singel LED of the KoGadget light mod to the display... do you think this small LED powerconsumption will cause an displaydamage?
    You see I am looking for an other solution to connect the LED than Kogadegts because in that case the LED lights up if there is data transfer AND if you charge your iphone over night... this is no solution for me...
    Checked camera connector? Tried unplugging and resetting back in? If that does not work then you might have damaged the camera. Try to activate the front facing camera somehow or try using a different camera app to test as well

Quote Originally Posted by jussl View Post
    doesn't work....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mvn View Post

Checked camera connector? Tried unplugging and resetting back in? If that does not work then you might have damaged the camera. Try to activate the front facing camera somehow or try using a different camera app to test as well
    where is it? canīt find it with google...

Green Apple
    Thanks

@jussl: Here is the instruction and connection of the camera you have to unplug and reset in: Installing iPhone 4 Rear Camera - Page 3 - iFixit

Ok I understand. My Problem of kogadgets solution are the problems i read on the net in a damage of the wifi, vibration, gps... but I don't know why this happened to the people. Maybe soldering is a better solution than with the tape...?
    I case I want to connect it to the displayconnectionspot i posted above - do i nedd to use any additional resitors for the LED light panel? I read 2K Ohm by the 3gs article... Do you have any information or tips about that? Maybe from your modding experience?

Sorry here is the link for the front camera... Installing iPhone 4 Front Facing Camera - Page 6 - iFixit

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thank you wolf2001!
    the cam is back up but the flash and the shutter sound are down..any solutions?
    but i donīt have any ideas of your ideas...donīt have much exp with hardwaremodding

Green Apple
    Thanks

@mvn: Have you connected your 5 powerleds to this spot by your bruned screen? http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wV7HajhV7J...600/iphone.jpg
    Unfortunately cant recognize this in your video.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok so I have tried to install this over the last 3 hours. Seemed pretty straight forward :-)
    I just can't get the panel to light up?
    I have tried lots of different angles to connect the red wire but i just can't get any power.
    I'm not sure if i have a faulty panel. "it could happen" Is there any way I could test it without connecting it to the phone itself.
    Maybe with a few AA batteries.
    Thanks
    Dan

iPhone? More like MyPhone broncosi's Avatar
    Thanks

I installed the black 4 gsm here(sorry about the length):

HOWEVER when I got my white back in, I noticed there is excessive light bleeding on the left side of the back panel. You can see the light through the panel when it is on and dark. Like the white panel is almost opaque.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the video.
    Does anyone have a picture of the red cable connected to the point on the logic board.
    No matter where i place it i get no response. :-(

Green Apple
    Thanks

Here are the pictures you are looking for: K.O. Gadget ŧ

mvn
    Thanks

Correct, the connection point that blog post is pointing to is the LCD cable which you then drag power from hence why you're able to adjust brightness by using the settings.

@mvn: Have you connected your 5 powerleds to this spot by your bruned screen? http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wV7HajhV7J...600/iphone.jpg
    Unfortunately cant recognize this in your video.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok nice,I think about connecting the panel to this spot, do you know which type of resistor i have to use for this? Did you use anyone?

mvn
    Thanks

Ok nice,I think about connecting the panel to this spot, do you know which type of resistor i have to use for this? Did you use anyone?
    I did not which is probably why it burned, im a novice at electrical engineering however a close friend of mine is an excellent electrician so once he returns from Ohio next week, i will sit down with him to talk about how we can improve on this. He works with larger consumer electronics such as Adcom and Bose on home entertainment/sound systems.