+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: After iPhone 3G Housing Replacement, buttons are too flushed.

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I recently purchased a housing and swapped it with my original housing for my iPhone 3G due to several cracks near the port connecter. So after doing the swap successfully,
    k3u
    Thanks

Default After iPhone 3G Housing Replacement, buttons are too flushed.
    I recently purchased a housing and swapped it with my original housing for my iPhone 3G due to several cracks near the port connecter. So after doing the swap successfully, the volume rocker and power button are completely flushed to the point where the buttons don't even stick out. This is a problem and I was wondering if it's because I did the installation wrong or the housing is slightly bigger than the original? Also the vibrate button switches but the iPhone does not vibrate. :/

mvn
    Thanks

Did your housing come with the buttons installed already? Or did you transfer the volume,headphonejack, vibrate, and power flex cable assembly your self? The way the buttons work on the iPhone 3GS is the chrome bezel seals the buttons between the plastic housing and bezel. You have to make sure the buttons have padding to ensure that they click. If you ordered an aftermarket housing (seems to be the case) you may have received a defective housing.

I only recommend only original parts hence why the parts i use, the housing already comes with the headphone jack, volume keys, vibrate switch, and power button installed.
    Apple Technician - Modder

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mvn View Post
    Did your housing come with the buttons installed already? Or did you transfer the volume,headphonejack, vibrate, and power flex cable assembly your self? The way the buttons work on the iPhone 3GS is the chrome bezel seals the buttons between the plastic housing and bezel. You have to make sure the buttons have padding to ensure that they click. If you ordered an aftermarket housing (seems to be the case) you may have received a defective housing.

I only recommend only original parts hence why the parts i use, the housing already comes with the headphone jack, volume keys, vibrate switch, and power button installed.
    Cant add much here. mvn is right though. I ordered a lime green housing for my 3GS and the buttons were all sunk as well. They worked, but they were quite hard to press in. I ordered a Metallic Red 3GS housing a couple of weeks ago for a customer that had everything in it already pre-installed. All I had to do was transfer the logic board, camera and screen. Buttons work great on it. I'd try finding one with the buttons pre-installed. There were a lot of parts I needed to salvage off of my old housing when I switch over to the green one and not only was it a pain in the *** to do, but it never felt right after that. Ended up putting that customers black housing back on mine and selling it with working buttons.

k3u
    Thanks

You're right, MVN and itslivo. This White housing did not come with any buttons or anything. It was just a plain White 3G housing and I had to manually install the volume rocker, vibrate button, and power button. Which happens to be ALL sunken in.. except of course for the vibrate button. However it was a pain in the butt to transfer all of that. And also I think I did the installation wrong or something but apparently the dock connector is also sunken in.. making it unable for any dock connectors to plug through.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

For the dock connector issue I'm positive that you have the screw tabs underneath the ones on the bezel. I did that my first couple of times with 3G's and 3GS's. Just open it back up, remove the dock connector and then when you reinsert it make sure the screw holes on it go above the screw holes on the silver bezel. That'll level out your connector and allow chargers to plug back in.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

k3u
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itslivo View Post
    For the dock connector issue I'm positive that you have the screw tabs underneath the ones on the bezel. I did that my first couple of times with 3G's and 3GS's. Just open it back up, remove the dock connector and then when you reinsert it make sure the screw holes on it go above the screw holes on the silver bezel. That'll level out your connector and allow chargers to plug back in.
    Thanks for the advice. I got the dock connector to work, I made the same mistake as you did before. :P

Anyways, I got the replacement housing to work! I got frustrated and opened everything up again and this time I figured why the buttons are too flushed. The replacement housing gap between the housing and the actual buttons are bigger than the OEM housing. Therefore the buttons are always sunken in. I examined them buttons closely and figured out that all I needed was a small layer of electric tape (since Apple TOO uses ONE small layer to electric tape to make it stick out more) that would make the buttons stick out more. I went to the dollar tree store and bought electric tape and cut a few small layers of electric tape making the buttons bulge out more rather than being flushed in. Overall, everything works now. And as for the vibrator, the pins were bent and wasn't making contact with the logic board.

mvn
    Thanks

Glad to hear all worked out well, in the future invest a little more cash into a reliable service that provides OEM replacement back covers with the bezel and volume keys installed. You will save a lot of time, stress, and headache.

Quote Originally Posted by k3u View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I got the dock connector to work, I made the same mistake as you did before. :P

Anyways, I got the replacement housing to work! I got frustrated and opened everything up again and this time I figured why the buttons are too flushed. The replacement housing gap between the housing and the actual buttons are bigger than the OEM housing. Therefore the buttons are always sunken in. I examined them buttons closely and figured out that all I needed was a small layer of electric tape (since Apple TOO uses ONE small layer to electric tape to make it stick out more) that would make the buttons stick out more. I went to the dollar tree store and bought electric tape and cut a few small layers of electric tape making the buttons bulge out more rather than being flushed in. Overall, everything works now. And as for the vibrator, the pins were bent and wasn't making contact with the logic board.
    Apple Technician - Modder

Thanks

Default iiphone 3g housing
    Hi,
    PhonePartsUSA is a wholesaler and retailer of cellphone repair parts . We have been providing great customer service to our clients for the past 5 years with an emphasis on quality, reliability, and cost competitiveness. Our goal is to bring you the lowest possible price with the highest grade of quality on all repair parts. We will not compromise on our quality, that we guarantee.
    Last edited by succeer9; 03-24-2012 at 09:01 AM. Reason: mistake