+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 microphone not working

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey guys. I did a metallic purple color swap for a client about a week ago. She texted me today saying that for the past couple days her microphone only
    My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPhone 4 microphone not working
    Hey guys. I did a metallic purple color swap for a client about a week ago. She texted me today saying that for the past couple days her microphone only works when it is on speakerphone. I'm 99% positive I didn't damage it, so is it a faulty part or did I mess something up?
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,808 Times in 2,187 Posts

Could be something as easy as a connection so hard to say really..
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Green Apple
    Thanks

Happened to my wife's 3GS...
    It was still under warranty. It was replaced.
    Where the headphones, or aux out is plugged into the top of the phone, there is some kind of connection that comes undone, or breaks. Her phone would only have sound on speaker, it ear buds...

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Could be something as easy as a connection so hard to say really..
    Yeah, I'm hoping thats it, although I do have another mic on hand that I could use to replace it. She's worried I broke something because I did the conversion a couple days after she bought the phone but it's hard to say. I do know that iPhone 4's have this issue from time to time though so I'm thinking replacing the mic will put her back in my good graces.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,808 Times in 2,187 Posts

Hope so man gl
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

mvn
    Thanks

If she has the older iPhone 4 (the one that did not come with the 5-star torx screws) then its a logic board. There is a mic IC Chip which is tends to go after an iPhone 4 has been tore down. I have personally faced this issue at least 5 times and it can only be resolved by reballing the IC. Although to say the least, if she has somehow Apple Care still i would say restore it to original state and tell her to make an appointment to the apple store.

This can happen with the newer iPhone 4s however it is rare as the issue has been resolved overtime. The most obvious thing that it can be however is the dock connector cable is simply loose. Double check that and replace the dock as a test as well. If that does not work, then you got the worst case scenario. Also ask her to open her Voice Recording app and try to save a voice memo, if the voice memo records its definitely the IC.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

what happened to the client in this situation I think has also happened to me. So hoping you can help out with some advice/opinions

I took my iphone 4 (older one, no 5 star torx screws) in for repairs as sleep/wake button wasn't working, anyway the sleep wake button was fixed so i then decided to jailbreak and unlock to latest firmware (after all i could now put it in dfu mode).

Good news is that jailbreak/unlock all good, bad news is that the microphone doesn't work for videos or speaker phone . IT does work for voice memos so I'm a bit confused if it is a hardware problem or not...

mvn
    Thanks

Did you test the microphone after replacing the sleep/wake button or has Apple performed the repair? Have you tried restoring back to factory setting? Sounds like it might be the software.
    Apple Technician - Modder

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mvn View Post
    Did you test the microphone after replacing the sleep/wake button or has Apple performed the repair? Have you tried restoring back to factory setting? Sounds like it might be the software.
    I did not test the microphone before I did the firmware update (at that stage I was only concerned about the sleep/wake function). It was not an apple repair, instead a mobile phone repair shop.

It works in voice memos, is that same microphone used for loud speaker and videos?

What's your advice?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have the same problem. Lady called to say her microphone doesn't work for calls. Replaced dock connector/microphone cable. tested and worked for first call. then stopped woking again. updated software to ios5.1. worked on first call then stopped working again. spoke to her about it and she says it did the same thing after resetting. Tested ok using voice memo. Older phone with phillips screws for back cover.
    I feel it is a problem with the logic board. Any ideas?

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigmal75 View Post
    I have the same problem. Lady called to say her microphone doesn't work for calls. Replaced dock connector/microphone cable. tested and worked for first call. then stopped woking again. updated software to ios5.1. worked on first call then stopped working again. spoke to her about it and she says it did the same thing after resetting. Tested ok using voice memo. Older phone with phillips screws for back cover.
    I feel it is a problem with the logic board. Any ideas?
    I had a problem where my mic worked for everything but calls, (well, in calls it would work 5% of the time). the apple store dude said it was something with modulating the voice or something, that it was too hard to get to and so just gave me a new one.