+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Which replacementparts for 3GS?

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
My 3GS has been having the following two problems: I am trying to find out which replacement-parts I would have to order to fix my 3GS. First: Something is wrong
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question Which replacementparts for 3GS?
    My 3GS has been having the following two problems:

I am trying to find out which replacement-parts I would have to order to fix my 3GS.

First: Something is wrong with the earphone-connector. When I plug in earphones, I cannot change volume, make calls, etc. When I change volume using the touchscreen, one channel fades, the other stays at max volume. This happened after I plugged in a 3.5mm plug, connected to an amplifier. The amp was turned on at the moment. I heard a cracking sound coming from the ext. speakers and above problems started.

Second: My on-board speaker "faded out of existance". Over a period of several days, its sound became gradually softer and softer and now I have no sound at all. No alarms, no ringtones, no music.

I cleaned the earphone- and docking-connector. This didn't fix anything.
    Also did a reset to factory-settings and a restore. This also didn't fix it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

for your earphone problem seems like you may need a new front assemply, you see the bezel contains the earphone so you will need to purchase a new one the other problem with this speaker is kinda difficult to diagnose over the internet. for one thing it could be a problem with the motherboard the other it could be a minor defect in the docking connector. the docking connector is only 2.61 on ebay from my experience.

mvn
    Thanks

I do not think he needs a front assembly however i do recommend to replace your whole back assembly. There are companies that service and replace the full back cover along with the loud speaker enclosure between $60-$80. This will resolve:

A) Your headphone jack issue with plugging in headphones and volume keys not responding
    B) Loud speaker will work and respond to notifications and ring
    C) Give you a brand new iPhone look.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mvn View Post
    I do not think he needs a front assembly however i do recommend to replace your whole back assembly. There are companies that service and replace the full back cover along with the loud speaker enclosure between $60-$80. This will resolve:

A) Your headphone jack issue with plugging in headphones and volume keys not responding
    B) Loud speaker will work and respond to notifications and ring
    C) Give you a brand new iPhone look.
    yeah but that wont exactly fix his problem just the power button, volume controls and headphone jack he never stated he had problems with that. i just took my old iphone 3g apart and the 3rd proximity sensor is connected to the earphone part so you might just need to replace that part.

mvn
    Thanks

I think he was talking about the headphone jack since as he explains, he tried to plug in headphones or an external speaker when he lost function to volume controls and ability to speak to others, that does not relate to the ear speaker positioned on the front assembly since its an input issue, not an output. Correct me if im wrong
    Apple Technician - Modder