+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Anyone got a multimeter?

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
So, about a month ago I bought an iPhone 4 with a cracked screen with the thought of fixing it and unlocking it (with a Gevey sim). Got the phone
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Anyone got a multimeter?
    So, about a month ago I bought an iPhone 4 with a cracked screen with the thought of fixing it and unlocking it (with a Gevey sim). Got the phone with 4.3.5 or so on it, saved the SHSH and upgraded to 5.0.1 retaining the baseband. That all went fine, so I installed the new front and back glass (blue) and set about using it. Well, got it all back together and the display had about 4 dead pixels and a blue spot that was pretty visible on anything but a black screen .

Thankfully the guy was stand up and swapped out the whole setup. Unfortunately while reinstalling the logic board for the second time, my finger slipped and my nail caught on a capacitor(?), I went back and probed it to see if it was OK, and it promptly fell off. I was all, "f-f-f-u-u-u", and basically decided it was f'ed. Fast forward a week or two and I've been looking for another phone, problem is at this point they're all running 5.0/5.0.1 so they're not unlockable and around $400. Unlock is important to me because I'm living in Japan, and don't want to spend a bunch of $$ just to get stuck with a locked phone when I head home(like my paperweight ATT 3gs that I've got sitting here on my desk).

I have no idea where the capacitor went because at that time I didn't want to have to re-buy all the rework stuff over here (I have done some light SMD soldering in the past, and everything in Japan is retardedly expensive for no real reason).

Nutshell

So now that I have decided I might as well give it a shot and hack together some soldering tools, I have no idea what the specs are for the missing part. I've attached a picture. If anyone has a iP4 they've got open or don't mind opening and a multimeter I could really use the specs on the it (capacitance is the big thing)

Thanks for the time!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone got a multimeter?-cap.jpg