+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Having issues after you replaced a part?

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
If you are still having issues after replacing a part or maybe something on your phone just started messing up? - Check your connections a lot of the time the
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,874 Times in 2,213 Posts

Default Having issues after you replaced a part?
    If you are still having issues after replacing a part or maybe something on your phone just started messing up?

- Check your connections a lot of the time the problem can be resolved by just making sure all those little flex ribbons are securely fastened in. Sounds too easy but it usually is.

- Do a restore 90% of the time the issue can be resolved by doing just a simple restore. Getting the logic board to recognize the new hardware could be an easy fix to your problem.

- Retrace your steps did you forget anything? Is something missing or out of place? I know especially with the iPhone 4 or 4S if you don't have all the screws in the right place or tightened well enough it can cause lose of service and other issues.

- I see a lot of questions about lcds not displaying or showing just a white screen or a white screen with lines. This can be one of two things, A) its not plugged in correctly or B) faulty lcd. If you have this problem and you checked the lcd ribbon and it still comes up return your lcd and try a different one ( odds are you won't get 2 bad ones in a row) if the problem persists and you did the 3 steps above then its most likely the logic board connector and you better be an soldering expert

The next 2 things I have to share are more or less just good rules to go by.

1 - With any repair whether its your 1st or your 100th take your time, going fast causes more issues and like I said a lot of the time its something stupid like forgetting to plug in a ribbon or screwing in a screw. You will get faster over time but don't forget the basics.

2 - Buy quality parts! This one is huge. I know most of you are thinking that the $6 iPhone screen sounds better for the pocket book then the $20 screen, but in most cases the cheaper the part is the worst the quality, causing more issues and problems. Half the time they don't even fit correctly. If you can't afford the $20 screen save up its better than wasting $6 on something that good chance isn't going to work. There are tons of good wholesalers on ebay and websites. ( much buy.com, focus supply.com, sw-box, ect.)

I am sure some of you are going to argue the fact that you bought the $6 screen and it worked fine and thats great. But historically its a bad decision. If you do decide to buy a screen off ebay make sure you check the sellers feedback. Read the negatives if there is any. That is the biggest tip I can give to you as far as that goes.....

I hope this helps some of you. And please post here if you have a question about a repair or a problem you have ran into. We are here to help I know if i don't know the answer there is 2-3 other members off the top of my head who probably know the answer.

Thanks,
    Logan AKA SM Cowboy
    Last edited by Simon; 11-16-2011 at 09:33 PM.
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

AkAdeMicKs (05-03-2012), Apachino (11-01-2012), Louca (01-14-2012), lovinher (11-17-2011)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Anny suggestions for the camera flash on a 4S? I got the 'shutter won't open' fun but fixed that by running the camera app with my thumb over the front camera, but the flash still won't work. I'm 95% positive I didn't forget anything when reassembling the phone, have just been living with it since I did the conversion.

Thanks

Sounds like a bad camera try switching t

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Sounds like a bad camera try switching t
    It's the OE camera, was working fine before I replaced the glass, was wearing surgical gloves so I know no oils got onto connectors etc.

Thanks

I am telling you the camera sounds faulty you need to try replacing it

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    I am telling you the camera sounds faulty you need to try replacing it
    yeah I get that, but I don't have a secondary camera to try and replace. Any other suggestions of what it might be?

Thanks

Nope if its not the camera then it would probably damage to the logic board so its not reading the flash on the camera right

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

I agree with Cowboy. This happened to me on my girlfriends 4 awhile back. No real explanation as to why it happened but a new camera fixed it right up. I was probably a bit too harsh on it when disassembling. It was only my second 4 color swap at the time.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by itslivo View Post
    I agree with Cowboy. This happened to me on my girlfriends 4 awhile back. No real explanation as to why it happened but a new camera fixed it right up. I was probably a bit too harsh on it when disassembling. It was only my second 4 color swap at the time.
    this is also a possibility. I was just wondering I suppose if there was any possibility it might be software/firmware related before I rip the phone apart again.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

There is a little resistor above the second top ribbon that affects that problem

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Anyone had any issues with screens from Pacific Toy requiring to be plugged in to power before first power on?

Replaced one today, first screen wouldn't power on, I'm like okay it's a bad LCD, big deal. Put a second one on, same thing.. So at this point not only is it embarrassing that a client is seeing two screens not work, but I'm pretty pissed lol

Finally just for grins walked to my car to plug it into my charger, BAM it powers on and is fine after that.. Battery had a full charge, so it really made no sense to me. Anyone else experienced this?

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

I've had that issue a lot. It actually happens quite frequently to me. Plugging it in always works. I've had it happen through nearly every supplier I deal with so I dont think it's a part thing, just an issue with taking it apart and putting it back together.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

Thanks

Weird. I've done probably 100 or so repairs, never seen it happen til today. Just reassuring that I'm not the only one.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is probably the most important post i've seen. Wished i would've seen it before i did a tear down.
    I am having some serious issues with my iPhone now. First, it would just keep saying searching, (I also misplaced a couple screws in my carpet that seem pretty important now), I decided to do a clean restore. I was already on iOS 6 and i clicked restore. It backed up and went into recovery mode, Showed the apple with the loading bar. And as it was about a 1/8 away form finishing, it gives me an error. I've done every way possible to get it off but it isnt doing anything. Any thoughts?

I've used TU, redsn0w, DFU mode, i've got blobs but realized that they dont help since im already on iOS 6. I've exhausted everything. Even tried changing hosts files. but nothing. I'm on a quest to find the screws but its not working out for me. I'm considering buying new 'GOOD" screws that will replace them. nothing is loose either.

It first started where i bought an inexpensive package of LCD, Back, Home button, tools. But i soon realized, I had effed myself over.

Please help.

Contact me here or email, [email protected]

Thanks

What screws are missing? Do you know the location of which ones? Not all of them serve a huge purpose as far as the use of the phone goes from my experience in seeing people bringing me phones they've taken apart and given to me missing screws.

What error are you getting while restoring? This also will help troubleshooting.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well, I get numerous ones. 1, 11, -1, 21 etc.

And also i broke a litte peice of the motherboard where the 'hidden screw' is in the top left next to the camera. Important?

Ive misplaced the two flatheads and a couple chassis screws.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i just tried both DFU and recovery restore and both got a -1 error. Think i could replace the screws and white back and tell apple that i tried updating and i get an error?

Thanks

lol if you can make it look stock again and you have a warranty, I'm sure you could. I wouldn't recommend it, but I'm not telling you to go do it either. I'm sure breaking part of the logic board didn't help. I'm sure a few of those serve as proper grounding points for the logic board and that's the issue.

Error 1 or -1
    This may indicate a hardware issue with your device. Follow Troubleshooting security software issues, and restore your device on a different known-good computer. If the errors persist on another computer, the device may need service.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yeah, i re took it apart last night and seen what was missing, screws and the itty bitty part on where the camera is, but i think that just effected the camera flash because when it was working it didnt flash

Thanks

Gold bracket missing or did you actually break the entire part of the logic board while ripping it out with the screw still attached?

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast