+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Replace iPhone 4 Screen... Any reason to be denied warranty later?

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Ok so my friend dropped her iPhone 4 and cracked the glass which needs to be replaced. She went to Apple and was told they can replace it for $200
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Nopstnz8's Avatar
    Thanks

Exclamation Replace iPhone 4 Screen... Any reason to be denied warranty later?
    Ok so my friend dropped her iPhone 4 and cracked the glass which needs to be replaced. She went to Apple and was told they can replace it for $200 (IDK if that was the screen, or they'll give her a new phone similar to the water damage one time replacement warranty). Anyways, I really wanna help her out and fix it as a favor to her and get on her good side =) , but I need something cleared up before I tell her...

So basically after she was told they can replace it for $200, she said, "Well I'll just have my friend replace it for $100. They then said taking it apart would void the warranty, but according to their policy, accidental damage, such as breaking the screen, isn't covered under warranty.

http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/iphone.pdf

So that should mean basically her warranty is already voided anyways, and there is nothing to lose, right? Regardless she has the $200 replacement option available from Apple, but I'm really trying to save her money and fix it myself. If something does go wrong later, will she still be able to be in the same situation regarding replacing the phone? I know replacing the screen involves removing the water sensor, which is my biggest concern. For the people that have replaced their screens, were you able to get warranty service done after, like were you still eligible to replace the device for $200 later, without a problem? I know Apple only checks the obvious things before granting a replacement, but I feel this sensor isn't hard for them to look at in a short amount of time.

**So can I safely tell her if I replace the screen, as long as she doesn't tell Apple, she will still be able to replace the phone for a new one at $200, under Apple's (OOW) Out Of Warranty serivice they provide? Or will they be smart enough to know the sticker is missing and deny it? **

Out of warranty service: http://images.apple.com/legal/terms/..._oow_na_en.pdf

I know with the iPhone 3G /3GS the sticker was on the logic board and they had no way to know without taking apart the phone, but with the iPhone 4, I feel it's almost too obvious to go unnoticed.
    Last edited by Nopstnz8; 10-03-2011 at 12:30 AM.

Thanks

Bump. Anyone? I need an answer ASAP!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Is this the first time she broke it? Usually Apple will fix the first one for free and make an exception. If this is not the case and you are fully capable of repairing yourself, go for it! U could get a screen for about $50. there is only 1 water sensor that is covering up one screw, which u may be able to peel of and stick back on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yamman View Post
    Is this the first time she broke it? Usually Apple will fix the first one for free and make an exception. If this is not the case and you are fully capable of repairing yourself, go for it! U could get a screen for about $50. there is only 1 water sensor that is covering up one screw, which u may be able to peel of and stick back on.
    Ok. Great! So this is the first time she has broken it, but she was still denied a replacement since breaking a screen doesn't fit their terms of a warranty item. She was told she'd have to pay $200 and if I fixed it, it would void the warranty. I've changed the housing and repaired the screen on my 3GS, as well as other smart phones I've had in the past, so this should be pretty doable. I'm an Electrical Engineering major btw.

As you say, the water sensor covering the screw is the only thing in the way of this job. I know you can probably peel it, but I'm not the greatest with those kind of things, since the "Do Not Remove" sticker on my 3GS I totally destroyed. That being the case, is there something I can replace it with so the device still looks OEM untouched after I replace the screen so she can keep her warranty no questions asked? I also want to make sure if I break something while fixing it that can't be repaired, we can take it to Apple so I can buy her a new one for the $200 just in case.

I'm planning to buy this screen assembly since it's OEM, and has all the components already installed.

https://www.etechparts.com/iPhone-4-...p/822-4237.htm