+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Camera Causes my iphone to Whitescreen (3gs)

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I've developed a problem that I haven't seen documented anywhere else thus far. When attempting to use my Iphone's camera function, after a few moments the screen will invert the
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Camera Causes my iphone to Whitescreen (3gs)
    I've developed a problem that I haven't seen documented anywhere else thus far. When attempting to use my Iphone's camera function, after a few moments the screen will invert the colors then quickly flash to a white screen. If I'm taking video the video continues to record, but the only way out is to hit the home button followed by the sleep button, then waking the device back up. I've tried two different 3gs cameras in the phone (the original and a used one I borrowed), I've made sure the little arm that holds the camera isn't loose or too tight, and I've tried multiple software restores followed by setting it up as a new Iphone. The only thing I've noticed is that it seems to happen when it's auto-focusing or when it's particularly warm. There is no corrosion on any of the connectors, no water tags are tripped, and to the best of my knowledge the phone has never had any moisture in it beyond the charging dock which was replaced. The phone does seem to get extremely hot when it's charging though. Could my battery be going bad and overheating the camera when I try to use it?

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Over time batteries become weak and will cause strange operational behavior. Most common are intermittent or weak network (cellular or wifi) signals. During heavy load or charge the 3GS battery does run a bit hotter than other phones. If the battery is over 2 years old .. it could be the problem.

Other common problems are apps/tweaks from unauthorized cracked app sites.
    Non-hardware problems are fixed by either removing odd apps/tweaks or a fresh restore.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks. guess I'll try a battery replacement since I've already tried the software end of things multiple times as well as the camera. I really hope it's not my board.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

FTI: If your battery is weak, seems other issues I mentioned above would sometimes occur too

Good luck. Hope it's not the motherboard.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well, I swapped the battery just now, and Set my phone down recording some video. Lasted about 5 minutes before it white screened again. What could possibly be causing this? I've looked on the MB for any sort of corrosion or scorches, or damage of any sort and everything appears to be fine!

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You've tried changing the camera and cable and now the battery and you've ruled out the iOS firmware.
    The only thing left is the motherboard. Send it in for repair. Some places have the proper tools to fix it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Funny thing is, I work at one of those places. I've had others take a look at the phone and no one has a clue why it's doing it. Also it just did something new. While shooting video, the colors inverted, but then instead of white screening, it flashed black then it Mirrored the image. So that everything that should have been on the left of the frame was on the right and vice versa.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

From the sound of it, the problem could be anything. The hardware has been examined thoroughly. Either you've got a flaky chip or it has not been restored enough times .

Remind me to use a different shop when I have a similar problem (haha)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think that I'll try a fresh restore tomorrow and test it after each app I add till it stops working. And if I can completely rule out software, I'll order a brand new camera because both the ones I tried were used and one came out of a dead iPhone.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Give it a try .... again

...and I've tried multiple software restores followed by setting it up as a new Iphone...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So I got to thinking about the fact that even when my phone would white screen, the camera would continue to take video. It seemed odd to me that if the camera was the issue, that I should still be able to record just fine. I theorized that my white screening during video recording and pictures was due to a faulty LCD. Swapped the LCD with a brand new one, and I've not had a single incident of white screening during video or Photo taking. I even modded my iphone to take 720p video. Works beautifully now!

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Excellent deductive reasoning. Much better than a motherboard.
    Congratulations.