+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS always says Searching... even when no SIM inserted

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Last night I took my Tmo sim card out to swap for an ATT one to restore the phone. When I put the ATT one in the phone always says
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3GS always says Searching... even when no SIM inserted
    Last night I took my Tmo sim card out to swap for an ATT one to restore the phone. When I put the ATT one in the phone always says searching. I took the sim card out and it still says searching. Restored to 4.3.3, 5.0beta4 and beta 3 then back to 4.3.3, tried multiple reboots, nothings worked. Is my baseband chip fried? 6.15 bb

EDIT: just hacktivated, toggled airplane mode and now it realizes when theres a sim card in and when there isn't. although I get one bar then searching with either an att or tmo sim in. no signal
    Last edited by mcbaron15; 07-28-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,919 Posts

So does nothing work when you restore to a stock 4.3.3 and activate with the AT&T SIM?

Green Apple
    Thanks

I can't even activate, when I restore to stock 4.3.3 with the ATT sim in it says Searching... and iTunes says there is no SIM card inserted. Thats why I have to hacktivate.

Thanks

Huh...so iTunes just doesn't do anything when you put the SIM in? Doesn't even do that popup thing where it says "waiting to activate"? Sounds like hardware failure then...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Huh...so iTunes just doesn't do anything when you put the SIM in? Doesn't even do that popup thing where it says "waiting to activate"? Sounds like hardware failure then...
    Nope, iTunes says no sim. The only way I can get anything other than Searching to show on the phone to is hactivate and toggle airplane mode. Then I get the one bar thing (doesn't actually connects to cell network), which eventually switches to No Signal.

Thanks

You've tried installing ultrasn0w to see if it'll pick up the T-Mobile SIM?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yep, tried installing it. Put in both ATT and Tmo sims. Both show 1 bar after the airplane mode toggle, then go back to Searching and then eventually No Signal. Cant even dial an emergency number. Says Call Failed.

Thanks

It really does sound like there's something wrong with the hardware. The only thing I can think to do is try a brand new SIM card or at least another SIM that you haven't already tried. Aside from that if you can't even officially activate with the original SIM then that's bad

Green Apple
    Thanks

Used 2 different ATT sims and the Tmobile one. Tore it down to look at the SIM slot, nothings visibly wrong. Giving up and assuming its the baseband chip.

Thanks

Bummer... Sorry I couldnt help

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

hi ! I have absolutely the same problem ! After i put the device into airplane mode, it recognizes when the sim is in. Did you find any solution for the problem, or it is a hardware failure ? ((