+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HELP! 3GS Sim Tray Inserted Wrong Way - Stuck - Removd & Reinserted Right, NOT detected

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Dear Modders, Please help me out! My Dad inserted his EMPTY SIM tray on his 3gs the wrong way around and it went it with some resistance (he kinda used
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question HELP! 3GS Sim Tray Inserted Wrong Way - Stuck - Removd & Reinserted Right, NOT detected
    Dear Modders, Please help me out!

My Dad inserted his EMPTY SIM tray on his 3gs the wrong way around and it went it with some resistance (he kinda used mild but steady force, he says) and at around 85% into the slot, got stuck.

I could draw it out to some extent, but it never came out, seemed to have stuck or caught on something. I scanned the interwebs, got this advice that seemed to work for many:

iPhone Sim card holder stuck in the wrong way round! Help - MacRumors Forums

what you need to do is insert another sim card into the sim tray. obviously if it is jammed all the way in then you're screwed. but if you can get one in put it in. then if you push in the sim tray and quickly pull it out you should have luck.
    it worked for us.
    i wasnt confident in it working again because it made some scratchy noises when putting in the sim, but the iphone still works now
    So I half pulled the Sim Tray and inserted another SIM into it; pushed it gently in and pulled it out as soon as I could and Viola, the tray got out smoothly.

However, when I reinserted the Sim Tray with a working Sim Card into the slot correctly, the dreaded 'No Sim Card' message came up and I could never get the iphone to detect the sim again.

Also, am important point to note is that NOW when I insert the EMPTY sim tray correctly, the tray gets stuck and does not come out fully. That is, it goes in smoothly and when I insert the pin, it ejects out, but when I pull it all the way, at the very end, gets stuck. I need to insert a sim into the tray to release it.

I am not sure what the problem is, but I think the SIM reading contacts might be misaligned or damaged in the process. Can anybody think of anything else or advise what can be done apart from taking it to the apple ppl? (jailbroken, bought off somebody)

THank you for your valuable time and assistance!

Laxmin

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laxmin View Post
    I am not sure what the problem is, but I think the SIM reading contacts might be misaligned or damaged in the process.
    I think your hypothesis is correct.

If you can see in the slot, you may be able to confirm if this is the problem. If so, maybe you could use a tiny piece of stiff wire, a long sewing needle/pin or a very tiny screwdriver to realign the contacts. However, it may be much easier to realign the contacts by removing the motherboard. It can seem daunting, but if you follow step-by-step instructions, it's pretty easy. If it's bent very badly, you MAY have to remove the upper shield to access the contacts, and I think that may require soldering as I think it may be attached to the motherboard with solder.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you GnatGoSplat,
    I shined a torch into the slot and yep, found the copper contacts of the sim reader bent into the Slot.
    The Tray had hooked two of the golden coloured contacts from the reader and when pulled up, extended them and got stuck.

When I use a Sim in the empty slot, the copper contacts are pushed back and the tray slides out smoothly.
    Fortunately, I think the contacts are still intact.

Thank you for your advice, I will first try to align the contacts with a pin.

Thanks once again.