+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Questions for the "Professional" Repairmen out there

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
What other phones and/or devices do you guys repair frequently and what parts do you most commonly repair on them? I'm guessing EVO's and Blackberry's and other smart phones.. but
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Questions for the "Professional" Repairmen out there
    What other phones and/or devices do you guys repair frequently and what parts do you most commonly repair on them?

I'm guessing EVO's and Blackberry's and other smart phones.. but which ones and what goes wrong with them?

I'm looking to expand my business of iPhone, iPad and iPod repair to other cell phones and/or devices.
    iRepair Indy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

I fix samsung's, iphones, ipods, htc phones. Anything that goes wrong I fix.
    Last edited by Stray; 08-25-2011 at 05:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

Green Apple
    Thanks

I always get calls for cracked screen repair on myTouch or Touch 4G or something similar.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Cracked screen and/or cracked LCD is the most common problem I've come across in all phones.
    Actually, bad ESN is probably THE most common problem, but no way to (legally) fix those.
    Also liquid damage is extremely common, but I avoid those because they often have weird issues. I can usually bring a dead liquid damaged phone back to life, but then they have weird issues.

You really come to appreciate Apple's design after working on other phones. Apple phones have more screws than anything else, but every little piece is removable and can be replaced. The Google Nexus One and HTC Desire for example, if you have a bad power button, you have to replace the entire upper circuit board (including camera) and main flex assembly because the power button flex that goes bad is sandwiched into the PCB itself. It's $60 minimum just for the part. That is a common issue with the N1 and Desire, BTW. If I ever get ahold of one with that problem, I will probably see if there's any way to run tiny wire jumpers to avoid having to replace that assembly.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 587 Posts

Most common repair is cracked screen for me. And I agree apple is the easiest phone/anything to repair.

iPhone? More like MyPhone iamkadaj's Avatar
    Thanks

I own a repair store and my biggest nightmare is iPod touch 4th Gen reassembly!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Iphone Digi's are the most common repair I do at the shop. we see a fair number of Ipods (all gens and models), Mytouch's G1 and G2's, as well as an assortment of blackberrys. Digi/LCD replacements are most common followed immediately by Water damage. We actually brought an Iphone 4 back to life not long ago that had spent some time in the ocean before being left in a drawer for a month before coming to us. Anyone who deals with water damage repairs will tell you quick that the sooner you get a water damaged device in the door, the greater the likelyhood of being able to clean up all the corrosion and repair the device. We also do game systems repairs and I've gotta say, we may see the Xbox Come in more commonly than the Ps3 for the initial repair, but once an xbox is repaired, we never see it again. PS3's have about a 1 in 4 shot of coming back for the exact same problem even after the parts are replaced and the board completely reflowed.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iamkadaj View Post
    I own a repair store and my biggest nightmare is iPod touch 4th Gen reassembly!!
    Yea they do not always go back together very well.

I often turn them away. It's not worth the headache. The great thing is.. the Apple Store here in Indy does a 1 time replacement for iPod 4th gens. So I just send customers their and it makes me look good
    iRepair Indy

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Anyone that fixes iPhones will tell you that glass is number one. LCD's, docks, batteries, home buttons etc. are less in-demand. Two other posts mentioned water and this is popular, but ultimately toxic for most pros. Water is a dead-end and is rarely fixed permanently and satisfactorily. iPod Touch can be great job (glass only), but again - as mentioned - 4th gen is a headache. If you are mobile, stick to Apple. If you have a shop or work from home, experiment with Blackberry first and then expand to HTC, Motorola, etc.