Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Clear Front Camera Ring

Default iPhone 4 Clear Front Camera Ring
    This question is for those of us who do screen replacements on the side or as their main job.

I just got a new batch of iPhone 4 front assemblies and they don't have mesh & front camera rings pre-installed. My old supplier had those pre-installed on all iPhone 4 assemblies.

The front camera rings on the original assemblies are not sticky and have old adhesive on them once you take them off during a screen replacement. Are they typically re-used?

I'm trying to decide if it's worth trying to clean off old adhesive and stick it back using some kind of glue(risk damaging the new screen assembly) or to get a brand new with adhesive layer on it.

I reuse the plastic rings. I use an x-acto knife to scrape off any extra glue or glass bits that stick to it, then use a small file to smooth the edge.
    It fits on the camera in a specific orientation, so you'd have to glue the top edge of it and set it on the lens, then apply the screen. I worried that if there's any movement/shifting or excessive glue, it could get squeezed or smeared on the screen glass and possibly visible in the camera window, so rather than risk that, I didn't bother to glue it at all.
    You could also try cutting a very thin strip of double-sided adhesive tape to use in place of glue which should eliminate the possibility of smearing or excess glue getting squished out and visible in the window.

I've experienced no issues whatsoever by just letting the glass keep the ring in place. It's a very tight fit with the glass right up on the camera, so the ring isn't going to move or shift.

I don't bother attempting to put that cover on the new screens if the parts I get from my supplier don't come with them pre-installed. I am currently using a red front without the plastic piece and I'm not having any issues at all with mine.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Too much hassle for a small piece. I found a place that sells them with adhesive pre-installed(looks like double-sided 3m tape) on the ring, I'll just order from there and pre-install it myself on all of the assembly's.

I don't think you'll be able to pre-install it, it's a snug fit over the camera lens and it also has to be clocked a specific orientation.
    You could probably omit it without any problems, but when I do these repairs, I'm very anal and also transfer the foam backing from the connectors as well as that blackout tape on the back of the LCD.