+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: how to increase iphone 3gs storage capacity (GB)

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi guys, I was wondering, is there any way to increase the iphone 3gs storage capacity (GB) from 8 gb to maybe 64 gb ? I am willing to open
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default how to increase iphone 3gs storage capacity (GB)
    Hi guys, I was wondering, is there any way to increase the iphone 3gs storage capacity (GB) from 8 gb to maybe 64 gb ?
    I am willing to open it and modding it.
    I am pretty good in solderending ad in general fixing electronics, but it is the first time I got an iphone and I have no idea if anyone tried it an if it is possible.
    Thank you

Thanks
    Thanked 1,696 Times in 839 Posts

I don't think so. The memory should be built right into the board. It's not like a computer motherboard where it can just be snapped into place or something.

That would be a fantastic idea, though! Apple would make a killing with people that will dish out for an upgrade. And besides, phones are so wasteful - when you're done using it most people just throw it away and buy an entirely new one, even if most of the parts work perfectly.

An easily upgradeable phone would be awesome!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    I don't think so. The memory should be built right into the board. It's not like a computer motherboard where it can just be snapped into place or something.

That would be a fantastic idea, though! Apple would make a killing with people that will dish out for an upgrade. And besides, phones are so wasteful - when you're done using it most people just throw it away and buy an entirely new one, even if most of the parts work perfectly.

An easily upgradeable phone would be awesome!
    Thank you very much.
    So the next option is to find alternatives to extend the built in internal iphone storage capacity:

1 option could be, as I did , but an sd card reader (like zoomit)...problem is that it does NOT work with big video files. It works with small pictures and video files up to 1min and 30 sec lenght, but when u surpass the lenght and u get a 30 minutes or bigger videos, as I do, you are screwed. The software of this zoomit has problems, so when u try to move / copy the big vide file from the internal iphone build in card to the sd card, the software crash....the alternative , and it workd, is split the BIG video files in small 1min and 30 sec clips and move them into the sd card using the zoomit software. In that case it does NOT crash. The problem, is that the cut clip program that comes with the iphone phone sucks and it taked orever to split clips. It would be great to have a software, like there are on pc, where u can automatially split for example 10 clips of different lenght, in many clips each of a lenght of 1min and 30 sec of certain mb ......
    Also the zoomit card reader works with its own battery that needs to be charged via usb. When it dies, the card reader dies. You have to recharge it....

2) the other option, I a NOT sure if posible, is to buy an OTG hard disk (on the go hard disk). They are hrd disks that with 1 click can copy the content of picute or vdeos recorded using a digital camera. Usually they get connected via USB to the digital video camera, u hit a button on the OTG hard disk, and automatically the content of the sd card of the camera gets copied on th OTG hard disk. Some OTG hard disk, emits just beeps, so u are NOT sure that the content has been copies, unless u connect the OTG hard disk to a PC and check...other OTG hard disk, have instead a way to check, but are more expensive...now my question is....would an OTG hard disk recognized and work on an iphone ?
    I noticed tht whenever I connect an iphone to a pc, it immediatelly open a folder that contains the picture or videos I shoot, so I was hoping that maybe, if the OTG gets recognized by the iphone, maybe the OTG copy that folde...but I am NOT familiar with iphones, so I am NOT sure what would be the iphone reaction when connecte to an OTG hard disk...

3) what about using ipods ?
    Is it possible to connect an ipod directly to an iphone and move pictures and videos from the iphone to the ipod without the need of a PC ?

Thank you guys. As u can see now, I switch a little the topic. I am trying to figure out if I can extend eternally the capacity of the iphone storage using external devices. My iphone is just 8gb, and I fill it up in no time....

Thank you