+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: OEM Quality iPhone 3GS Volume and Power Button Replacements?

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey guys I am going to swap my housing on my iPhone 3GS, but the housing I bought has a crappy quality volume button and I am looking for an
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Nopstnz8's Avatar
    Thanks

Question OEM Quality iPhone 3GS Volume and Power Button Replacements?
    Hey guys I am going to swap my housing on my iPhone 3GS, but the housing I bought has a crappy quality volume button and I am looking for an OEM fitment replacement. I ordered a power button from Muchbuy in the past and the fitment was more sunken in compared to the OEM one. I liked all their parts other than the buttons. So basically, I'm asking if any of you guys know any sources where I can purchase buttons that are as close to OEM as possible in terms of fitment? I ordered the housing from SW Box, and the volume button on it sucks, so I won't order the button from them either.

BTW, does anyone know how to replace the volume button on a 3GS housing? I'm assuming the bezel needs to be removed, but if that's the case, what are you guys using to reattach it? Thanks.

Thanks

Bump.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Can't help you with the source of the buttons, but I do believe you're correct that the bezel needs to be removed first. On one phone, I used Permatex adhesive silicone which worked fine. On another, I used JB Weld 2-part epoxy, which also worked fine.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GnatGoSplat For This Useful Post:

Nopstnz8 (06-18-2011)

Thanks

How hard was it to remove the bezel? This one is brand new and I don't want to wreck it. Lol

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

The bezel wasn't hard to remove on mine, but it had been previously dropped so the bezel was only attached on one side. It's glued on using a semi-firm glue so you just have to pull (or pry) it off with enough strength to overcome the glue. It's not snapped on anywhere. Be very careful around the dock connector and SIM tray openings. The tiny strip of plastic is glued to the bezel real good there. I think it would be extremely difficult to pull the bezel off without cracking somewhere there. I didn't have to worry because those parts were already cracked on my phone!

Thanks

Ok. Thanks for the insight. Hopefully if I plan to actually do this, it goes alright. Lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i bought a whole asembly from the ebay and i got a whole new iphone!! (cover battery volume everything!)

Thanks

^^Already have all that. I'm specifically looking for the buttons.