+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: PLEASE....I NEED HELP!!!! iPhone 4 Repair

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I'm new to this thread, but I'm going to use it a lot. So please please help me, I'm not a noob and will bring forth little to no ignorance
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default PLEASE....I NEED HELP!!!! iPhone 4 Repair
    I'm new to this thread, but I'm going to use it a lot. So please please help me, I'm not a noob and will bring forth little to no ignorance lol

I repair iPhones, I have repaired several....but today experienced something I never have. It is an iPhone 4 and it had been washed in washing machine. When I received it, it would try to power up, but only when connected by cord. The backlight wasn't working on the LCD so I broke it down and completely cleaned all cables and connections. There was a little bit of corrosion on the LCD cable and on the LCD connector on the mother board. Cleaned them very well and reassembled. Backlight worked like nothing was ever wrong. But, when I tried to start up the phone it would only try to power up when connected by cable and it just showed the apple logo and powered back off and was stuck in this continuous loop. I then entered the phone into DFU mode and computer recognized it. Tried to restore and update but got error 1611, tried to restore from previous firmware 4.2.1 and got 3194 error, then suddenly I got to restore and upgrade after several tries. It would start up but stated I needed sim installed, so I thought I finally had it fixed.....NEGATIVE! It would only stay on for about 2-3 minutes and then it would restart itself and if I unplugged it then it died immediately. A light bulb turned on in my head and knew it had to be a bad battery from soaking in washing machine. I went to a local repair shop as I was out of iPhone 4 batteries and bought a brand new sealed iPhone 4 battery. I installed it, plugged it up, and it fired up tons faster than before. Once it started it stayed on and never shut itself off. When it first turned on it had 31 percent battery, so I figured it might have had a little stored charge from sitting on shelf as it was probably pretested at factory. After watching closely it went to 33 percent battery, about that time the customer walked in, paid me for the service with a smile glad that I had saved his daughters phone. I told him he needed to let the battery completely drain and then give it a full charge to 100 percent. Then.....he called about an hour ago, he let the battery die like I instructed and then plugged it up to charge, he watched it run to 7 percent, satisfied he took his family to eat and left the phone to charge, when he returned after about 2 hours he said it was still on 7 percent and has not budged! I'm baffled....does anyone know what the problem could be? Please help asap as customer satisfaction is my main goal!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 835 Posts

Maybe his cord is bad? Maybe he plugged it into his USB port but then his computer went to sleep and his USB power auto-off'd? Maybe you soldered the battery the wrong way?

Yeah, probably not that last one

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Wasn't his cord, I used my cord and my laptop which I've never had a problem with. My phone is connected right now and I'm on my comp with the usb plugged into the same spot so this is not the problem. Nothing was soldered, it was a straight plug and play battery. What about a restore? I figure that couldn't hurt, but should I have restored the phone after connecting the new battery? I read the calibration could be off on a failing or bad battery, but could installing the new battery have done the same thing? Please help, I'm desperate here. I'm completely bewildered, I've replaced several batteries and never had this issue!

I haz a number
    Thanks

A simple fix could be a Reset, hold together Home and Power button for about 15 seconds, let iPhone turn off by itself and then it will restart. See if that helps.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I reset the phone after it hit 33 percent when I first installed the battery and when it restarted it was on 31 percent like it had lost 2 percent during hard reset. Which made me think maybe the calibration is off on the meter. I will have a battery report from the phone later tonight to see if it's actually receiving a charger beyond 8 percent or not.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

It probably has slightly conductive residue bridging two circuits together, or PMIC could be damaged. These kinds of unpredictable issues are usually very common in water-damaged phones which is why I won't touch them.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
    It probably has slightly conductive residue bridging two circuits together, or PMIC could be damaged. These kinds of unpredictable issues are usually very common in water-damaged phones which is why I won't touch them.
    The more I run into them the more I don't ever want to mess with them.. lol

But I do buy water damaged iPhones because the Apple Store here in Indy will replace them for free
    iRepair Indy

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iRepairIndy View Post
    But I do buy water damaged iPhones because the Apple Store here in Indy will replace them for free
    Wow, how do you get them to do that? Do you replace the water indicator stickers, or do they not even check?

Banned
    Thanks

if you are not understanding the fault then go for iphone 4 repair aas soon as possible.

Spam link removed
    Last edited by Broomhead; 08-02-2011 at 06:50 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 587 Posts

i dont know if this has been solved but replacing the charger port flex assemble might just fix you up....thats what fixed a water damaged iphone 4 i did today...with very similar issues

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
    Wow, how do you get them to do that? Do you replace the water indicator stickers, or do they not even check?
    I heard (somewhere on MMi) that there was a policy change (possibly due to too many customers ticked off over being denied service due to humidity/condensation/etc flagging their phone as water-damaged). A soggy water indicator MAY still void your warranty, but the techs now have some leeway in deciding whether to void it or not.

Thanks

i agree with the port assembly, but sometimes with water damage, you need to clean it out with methanol to get the water corrosion out. water damage is not too big of a deal, but takes about 4 phones to get the hang of it.
    I start with the phone in a single wrap of cotton cloth, in a ziplock baggie of rice for 3 days. then slowly take it apart, clean with methanol, then reassemble. now i am 3 for 3.
    taking it to apple is easier though, you just don't get to learn.
    unklbyl

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Iphone 4 backlight fix
    There is a fix for iPhone 4 backlight not working or water damaged on youtube, just search 'iPhone 4 retina display backlight fix'
    user AdrianWoodward71

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi Holdaway03

Did you ever figure this one out? I'm having the same problem now.