Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cracked Iphone screen

Default Cracked Iphone screen
    Hey guys, i have a cracked screen.. have been looking on the net for a replacement but loads are coming up and am unsure of what to buy.

Any1 know where i can buy a replacement screen with the tools and bits to do it for a good price?

Thanks

Ebay. If you cracked the glass (can still use the screen) I believe the part is the same on iphone 3g and iphone 3gs. If you cracked the LCD (unusable touch screen) just search iphone 3g or 3gs lcd on ebay because they are different. Same case for Iphone 4.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I suggest you buy from Amazon; go through a few sellers and read a few product reviews. Also, depending on how soon you want your part to arrive at your destination, you can find suppliers that are closer than others! Take note that you should purchase OEM parts. Non-OEM are more likely to have a different feel/texture and have more hardware issues.
    If I helped you in any way, please click on the button!

I don't think 3G and 3GS have the same digitizer. It looks the same, but nobody sells them as being able to work on both so I think they're electrically different.

You didn't say what phone this is, but if it's a 3GS, I've bought a couple of different aftermarket digitizers. Some are clearly not OEM and the windows for the sensors is light purple. FWIW, seller hongkong.dragonext on eBay sells digitizers that look a lot like OEM and you can only see the sensor windows in bright light, like OEM.

yeah sorry guys its an iphone 4... i take it the parts wont be the same as the 3g n 3gs..

No, the parts are completely different. You will want to buy a complete pre-assembled LCD and digitizer assembly. They are bonded together and can't be separated.
    Cheapest entire assembly I've found that also comes with tools is this one:
    new LCD TOUCH SCREEN DIGITIZER ASSEMBLY For iPhone 4 4G | eBay

I can't vouch for them because I've never bought from them.
    It doesn't look like it has the screwdriver for the bottom screws so you may need that too.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
    No, the parts are completely different. You will want to buy a complete pre-assembled LCD and digitizer assembly. They are bonded together and can't be separated.
    Cheapest entire assembly I've found that also comes with tools is this one:
    new LCD TOUCH SCREEN DIGITIZER ASSEMBLY For iPhone 4 4G | eBay

I can't vouch for them because I've never bought from them.
    It doesn't look like it has the screwdriver for the bottom screws so you may need that too.
    The LCD is attached to the digitizer strictly for the i4 only, correct?
    If I helped you in any way, please click on the button!

Quote Originally Posted by Jcbzr View Post
    The LCD is attached to the digitizer strictly for the i4 only, correct?
    No, also the original iPhone as well. 3G and 3GS have the removable digitizer.

Beware that some sellers have iPhone 4 LCDs and digitizers sold separately, but it's virtually impossible to remove the LCD from the digitizer intact. Recently, I saw an auction on eBay where a guy was selling his broken digitizer and LCD. He was pretty proud of himself for having managed to separate the LCD from the digitizer when everyone says it's impossible. What he had actually done, is separated the backlight and diffuser from the LCD and tore the connector off the LCD, rendering it completely useless. Not even someone with the means to separate it would have wanted it then. It was kind of amusing.