+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Iphone 4 power button not working

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
My iphone 4 power button stopped working even when I pressed it down a little harder, it doesn't do anything. The button seems pushed in. So I ordered a new
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Iphone 4 power button not working
    My iphone 4 power button stopped working even when I pressed it down a little harder, it doesn't do anything. The button seems pushed in.
    So I ordered a new button, disassembled it. Removed the power button and compare to the new one; they both look identical. The old button doesn't seem to be broken.

When I put the new one in, I don't feel the "click" as the button is pressed. No broken hardware in the bracket or anything that I observed. I haven't put the whole thing back yet. Just wanted to make sure the button works before I re-assemble it.

Did anyone replace a power button in the past and what is the trick to get it working (I mean it clicks and retracts" when you press the button?

Here is a good tut I found on the net how to replace the button in case someone needs it.

Installing iPhone 4 Power & Lock Button - iFixit
    Last edited by ttatta; 05-14-2011 at 05:43 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If your new part came with a button attached to the home flex, carefully peel it off and try the old button. If you just swapped home flex cables, the new flex might be bad. A good button should feel right with glass off AND on.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    My problem was with the power/lock button, not the home button.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I swapped to the black midplate and had to change the power button. What happened was I had to take the little silver disk from the bottom of the original button and glue to the new part.

To remove use heat gun and carefully pry it off. Remember not to use your hands and pick up the button. I used tweezers and a crafting knife. It'll take a little working but that's how I did it.

What happens is the new button doesn't have that "contact" to the flex cable so when you try to press it it won't "click" it took me forever just trying to figure out. I had to test old button and compare and that's when I saw the difference.

I hope that helps. I did a quick skim of your post so I'm not sure that was what youre looking for.

Good luck.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mastrbaggins For This Useful Post:

ttatta (05-15-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mastrbaggins View Post
    I swapped to the black midplate and had to change the power button. What happened was I had to take the little silver disk from the bottom of the original button and glue to the new part.

To remove use heat gun and carefully pry it off. Remember not to use your hands and pick up the button. I used tweezers and a crafting knife. It'll take a little working but that's how I did it.

What happens is the new button doesn't have that "contact" to the flex cable so when you try to press it it won't "click" it took me forever just trying to figure out. I had to test old button and compare and that's when I saw the difference.

I hope that helps. I did a quick skim of your post so I'm not sure that was what youre looking for.

Good luck.
    The silver disc you are referring to is the one from the right (old button). So I would take this one and put on the new one on the left (new one) right. Why would the old button wouldn't work and the new one would if I put the disc from the old one to the new one? Just trying to understand the logic here.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...ts/BUTTONS.jpg

I also put some pics from the iphone assembly where the power button would make contact to. Does it look normal to you guys?

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...arts/phone.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...phoneclose.jpg

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Mine just took a crap too! Was working fine, went to gym and had my phone in my waistband. Get done at gym, it was working. Change, eat, back to work. not working!!! like the button under the metal button is stuck or something.. If I press really REALLY hard, itll work. WTF happened in my pocket?!?!
    Last edited by Turb02; 07-07-2011 at 01:54 PM.
    If you think Im serious, thats funny.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I had an iPhone 4 that had this problem. It wasn't the metal disc missing from the button, but a tiny little nub had come off of the top of the switch itself. On that orange plastic coating on top of the switch, there is a little nub molded into the coating and that nub had fallen off, exposing the shiny silver metal of the switch itself.

Thanks

Is that orange piece available for purchase anywhere?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Turb02 View Post
    Is that orange piece available for purchase anywhere?
    No, it is molded into that orange coating on the top of the switch. You can see it in this pic:
    http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/6...wpw3KVEaq.huge
    See that orange tiny disc on the switch itself? If you're having trouble seeing it, look for the copyright symbol (C) on the digitizer flex cable and then move your eye directly to the left until you see something orange-ish in color. That little nub is literally only about 1mm in diameter.
    I did try gluing an itsy bitsy tiny piece of plastic (cut from a blister pack) into where that little nub was and that seems to work okay, it's not 100% perfect feel because the tactile "click" is not as strong as a good switch, but it's definitely much better, no worse than the feel of my HTC phones for example.

If you want a perfect feel, you'll probably need to replace the switch/sensor flex assembly. They are only $3.00.
    New Light Motion Sensor Flex Cable For Apple Iphone 4 | eBay

I just experimented with gluing on my switch because I didn't feel like waiting 2-weeks for (or installing) the entire flex assembly.

You may want to take it apart and confirm the problem, because mine was definitely a different problem than ttatta. I see in the photos in post #5 that the orange nub on his switch was intact.
    Last edited by GnatGoSplat; 07-11-2011 at 10:05 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GnatGoSplat For This Useful Post:

lionelhuts (12-05-2011)

Thanks

Thanks for the info. The "genius" bar replaced my phone 19 days out of warranty!!! Awesome support!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
    No, it is molded into that orange coating on the top of the switch. You can see it in this pic:
    http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/6...wpw3KVEaq.huge
    See that orange tiny disc on the switch itself? If you're having trouble seeing it, look for the copyright symbol (C) on the digitizer flex cable and then move your eye directly to the left until you see something orange-ish in color. That little nub is literally only about 1mm in diameter.
    I did try gluing an itsy bitsy tiny piece of plastic (cut from a blister pack) into where that little nub was and that seems to work okay, it's not 100% perfect feel because the tactile "click" is not as strong as a good switch, but it's definitely much better, no worse than the feel of my HTC phones for example.

If you want a perfect feel, you'll probably need to replace the switch/sensor flex assembly. They are only $3.00.
    New Light Motion Sensor Flex Cable For Apple Iphone 4 | eBay

I just experimented with gluing on my switch because I didn't feel like waiting 2-weeks for (or installing) the entire flex assembly.

You may want to take it apart and confirm the problem, because mine was definitely a different problem than ttatta. I see in the photos in post #5 that the orange nub on his switch was intact.
    I bought a new flex sensor (US seller) and received it in 3 days. I haven't replaced it yet. I do have a question for someone that had once disassembled the iphone 4 to the power button.
    Here is the question: after you put the "power button" and the screws to hold the bracket back in place. When you press the power button, do you "feel" the click right away? Mine feel so loose, and I don't see a physical spring between the power button and the "orange" nub that may create that "click" feeling.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I just figured it out. Problem solved. The new flex cable fixed it. Upon "super" close examination of the "orange" nub between the old and new flex cable, I found that the old "orange" was missing a tiny (I mean tiny) raised up plastic part right in the center of the "orange" nub. You have to use a magnification glass to see this tiny part. So if you ever had this problem, buy a new flex cable. I bought it from this US seller.

Black Proximity Light Sensor Flex Cable For iPhone 4 +T - eBay (item 300499808152 end time Jul-29-11 22:17:03 PDT)

And use this tut to replace the flex cable.
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/I...r-Cable/4336/1

I hope this helps someone instead of spending $60 for repair.
    Last edited by ttatta; 07-15-2011 at 10:04 PM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ttatta For This Useful Post:

lionelhuts (12-05-2011), RIPNHL2005 (11-08-2011), tttommy (04-17-2012)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Yup, that tiny little raised nub is what was missing from mine too. It's VERY tiny.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does anyone know if it is necessary to use an adhesive to glue the cable back onto the bracket? What adhesive brand should I use?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

New cable usually comes with adhesive already on it and you just remove the wax paper backing.
    If there is no adhesive backing, you could use glue if you want, but you can also buy thin double-sided tape. I got some years ago from Wal-mart or Staples or someplace like that.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vincent21212 View Post
    Does anyone know if it is necessary to use an adhesive to glue the cable back onto the bracket? What adhesive brand should I use?
    No not necessary
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I dont mean to bump up an old thread but this recently happened to me and I was wondering if theres a cheap way to fix this. Maybe putting a piece of tape on whatever "orange" nub thing everyones talking about? will this work?
    Last edited by misterbrownstone06; 10-04-2011 at 07:23 PM.

Thanks

Is this definitely the only issue if phone was dropped and power button then became recessed and lost it's "click" and needs to be pressed VERY hard to power on or off?

I took entire phone apart to look for any obvious broken parts using this link--- Installing iPhone 4 Power & Sensor Cable - iFixit
    and found nothing obviously wrong but did not see any "nub" on that orange part and if it did break off, where did it go???

Thanks

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by ttatta View Post
    I just figured it out. Problem solved. The new flex cable fixed it. Upon "super" close examination of the "orange" nub between the old and new flex cable, I found that the old "orange" was missing a tiny (I mean tiny) raised up plastic part right in the center of the "orange" nub. You have to use a magnification glass to see this tiny part. So if you ever had this problem, buy a new flex cable. I bought it from this US seller.

Black Proximity Light Sensor Flex Cable For iPhone 4 +T - eBay (item 300499808152 end time Jul-29-11 22:17:03 PDT)

And use this tut to replace the flex cable.
    Installing iPhone 4 Power & Sensor Cable - iFixit

I hope this helps someone instead of spending $60 for repair.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Yes, if the nub is missing from the switch, you get no more clicky feedback from the power button. It's only something like 0.7mm diameter, so tiny it could go anywhere and disappear. Reattaching it would be almost impossible even if you did find it. You might have to just replace the flex cable, although I did succeed in gluing a tiny teeny piece of plastic there which worked. I cut the tiny piece of plastic out of a blister pack.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to GnatGoSplat For This Useful Post:

RIPNHL2005 (11-08-2011)

Thanks

Thanks....I guess I'll just order the flex cable and replace that...I'm selling the freaking thing anyway in a few weeks when I get the 4S!

Quote Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post
    Yes, if the nub is missing from the switch, you get no more clicky feedback from the power button. It's only something like 0.7mm diameter, so tiny it could go anywhere and disappear. Reattaching it would be almost impossible even if you did find it. You might have to just replace the flex cable, although I did succeed in gluing a tiny teeny piece of plastic there which worked. I cut the tiny piece of plastic out of a blister pack.