+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Adhesive problems with 3G/3GS Digitizers

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Anyone else running into problems with the adhesive not holding? I've been running into this for awhile now.. seems like the digitizers come off every now and then from the
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Adhesive problems with 3G/3GS Digitizers
    Anyone else running into problems with the adhesive not holding?

I've been running into this for awhile now.. seems like the digitizers come off every now and then from the plastic bezel.

Maybe bad adhesive tape? I dunno but it's weird.
    iRepair Indy

Green Apple
    Thanks

Make sure you're cleaning everything really well. Depending on the digitizer, it should have a small plastic cover over each piece that the adhesive is meant to stick too. Getting oils and dirt from your finger on that causes major issues.

Also, when you apply the adhesive apply pressure. For example when I do 3G/s glass repair I use a metal spudger to really "set" the adhesive on the frame. Then once I put the glass on, I hold the corners of the glass for about 20 seconds each.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Yea i always clean the glass where the clear plastic was and the plastic bezel. I'm just going to have to make sure the tape sticks good
    iRepair Indy

I haz a number
    Thanks

If the digitizer is new, I do not clean the glass where the adhesive will stick. But I thorougly clean the plastic mid frame making sure I get the old Apple adhesive tape and the silicon line they use around the very edges too. Also do not warp the frame at all with too much heat. A warped frame obviously will not have a perfectly flat surface for the adhesive to make perfect contact with. That is how the adhesive works, any imperfection will basically break the seal with the glass and frame and it will weaken the cohesion.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I agree with the other comments, especially about making sure the frame is super clean. When I place the adhesive strips, I "etch" them with the tip of a small screwdriver before removing the tear-off. This can help with adhesion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon70 View Post
    I agree with the other comments, especially about making sure the frame is super clean. When I place the adhesive strips, I "etch" them with the tip of a small screwdriver before removing the tear-off. This can help with adhesion.
    Well I've been doing this for well over a year.

I clean the frame really good with 90% alcohol and I even clean the glass with the same alcohol. I was noticing that after I take the clear protective film off that SOMETIMES there seems to be a small amount of grease-like stuff under it.

I believe this is the culprit.
    Last edited by iRepairIndy; 05-14-2011 at 11:00 AM.
    iRepair Indy

Thanks

Not a bad idea to apply a bit of heat to the freshly glued digitizer to help set the adhesive...might help

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Yes, I have this problem with the 3GS, even with 3M adhesive. First, I bought a $7 digitizer which wasn't very good quality. It had light purple circles where the sensors are and also was not shiny in the bevel around the ear speaker hole. It kept lifting up on 2 corners and I'd repeatedly push down. Even used heat, tried laying an old phone book on it, etc. It would keep lifting up in 2 corners at least a millimeter past the chrome bezel. One day, I accidentally pressed down on it too hard near the ear speaker hole and cracked my new digitizer! When I pulled off the digitizer again, it came off the adhesive with only a little resistance. The adhesive stuck very, very well to the plastic frame, so turns out that was not the problem. The problem was it didn't stick well to the digitizer.
    So then I bought another $7 digitizer, turns out the new one is much better looking, indistinguishable from OEM. Anyway, I cleaned it thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol. It seems to have helped considerably, but it still starts lifting up on one corner after awhile. Maybe I accidentally warped the frame?
    Anyhow, I do have the same problem!

Thanks

most likely warped the frame, pretty easy to do with too much heat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by harmon View Post
    most likely warped the frame, pretty easy to do with too much heat
    Problem is I never use heat.. no need to
    iRepair Indy

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I just took my 3GS apart again to glue the chrome bezel down because it was starting to separate from the back cover. Anyway, I decided to inspect the digitizer again to see why it lifts up on a corner, and I found the problem is there is this foam gasket around the perimeter of the screen. It's not precisely the right size and was pinched between the side of the frame and the glass. It's squishy enough that it compresses for the screen to sit flush, but as it slowly decompresses, it was pushing the glass away from the frame. I pushed this gasket material out of the way so it doesn't get pinched and that has helped immensely. There is still a very teeny tiny bit of lifting, probably because the adhesive is wearing out from repeated separation.

I have a Google Nexus One that I bought with a replaced digitizer that was also lifting. Previous owner did a really bad job, put new adhesive sticker on top of the old. I ended up pulling it all off and used Permatex adhesive silicone instead. That actually seems to work much better than double-sided tape adhesive. I probably would have used that instead had the digitizer not come with the tape adhesive.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I've come across that the adhesive doesn't want to come off no matter how much I heat it or scratch at it with my nails...
    Last edited by Jcbzr; 05-25-2011 at 02:49 PM.
    If I helped you in any way, please click on the button!