+ Reply
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Refurbished iPhone 3GS Vibration Intensity Problem?

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Ok so about a month ago my 3GS suffered water damage to the point it wasn't even recoverable. I went to Apple to buy a replacement, since I had no
...
  1. #1
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Nopstnz8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pleasanton/ Cal Poly SLO, CA
    Posts
    162
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Question Refurbished iPhone 3GS Vibration Intensity Problem?
    Ok so about a month ago my 3GS suffered water damage to the point it wasn't even recoverable. I went to Apple to buy a replacement, since I had no other choice really without extending my contract. By doing this, they gave me a replacement 32GB 3GS in white, like I had, but this one had the serial of an old bootrom, where I thought it really wasn't an MC model,since MB was in the serial and the 6th and 7th numbers were before week 40. Obviously though, Apple installed the new bootrom on them. Too bad since my original one was an old bootrom, but I was glad to just have a working and shiny new iPhone again. So everything about the phone since then has been great, with the exception of one thing. I've noticed the vibrate intensity on this one is much weaker than my old one. A search through Google gave me a few threads from other forums about people with the same incidence, but this was from 2008 all the way to a recent one, kinda worthless. Anyways, since it's a hardware fault, what should I do? I know it's hardware based because I've changed firmwares from 4.3 to 4.3.1 to 4.3.3. recently and it's still present. I don't want to really open it since the warranty is still in effect.

    I never really figured the vibrate thing was a big deal, because when I'm just sitting with the iPhone in my pocket, I'll feel it vibrate. The problem is if I'm walking at all, I can't tell, so I'll miss calls. My old one you could in most incidences.

    Today I had an important call I missed by a few minutes as a result of the issue, so I wasn't able to contact the person until 4hrs later.

    I can still get another from Apple since it's under the 90 day warranty, but I'm pretty sure I'd get another with the same problem, based on what others have said. The Genius said Apple tests the refurbished ones way more than even the new ones, so I was like, well this can't be that bad at all, I mean come on, it is Apple we're talking about. High quality hardware.

    Anyways, even if I was to take it back for an exchange for another, how would I since mine is jailbroken with 4.3.3 and baseband 6.15, so I can't restore to original Apple firmware? I was thinking of restoring and then deleting the Cydia app to conceal things.

    Has anyone else who bought a refurbished iPhone 3GS from Apple experienced this vibrate issue? If so, what was your resolution?

  2. #2
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    853
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 51 Times in 47 Posts

    I've open both the 3G and the 3GS because of this problem. There is a rotating piece of metal which creates the vibration. Often times if it's not seated correctly, the vibration is not as strong as it should be. Also there may be corrosion on the moving part which limits it's movement. Reseating and cleaning it may resolve your issues.

  3. #3
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Nopstnz8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pleasanton/ Cal Poly SLO, CA
    Posts
    162
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    ^^Thanks. I've fully disassembled my previous one before, so I know where the piece is located, and figured that was the source of the problem as well. I can't take it apart though because last time I did, I wasn't able to safely remove the "Do not remove" sticker without ripping it. I still have probably two months or something left of warranty on this refurbished one, so IDK what would be the best thing to do? If I void the warranty, what happens if what I think is the problem, isn't? That's why I feel I'm kinda stuck, especially since others are saying they all are like that? I know my old one vibrate just fine the 2 years I had it.

  4. #4
    iPhone Underground A3gOwner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Underground
    Posts
    1,172
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 117 Times in 110 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Nopstnz8 View Post
    ^^Thanks. I've fully disassembled my previous one before, so I know where the piece is located, and figured that was the source of the problem as well. I can't take it apart though because last time I did, I wasn't able to safely remove the "Do not remove" sticker without ripping it. I still have probably two months or something left of warranty on this refurbished one, so IDK what would be the best thing to do? If I void the warranty, what happens if what I think is the problem, isn't? That's why I feel I'm kinda stuck, especially since others are saying they all are like that? I know my old one vibrate just fine the 2 years I had it.
    You could probably get away with arguing it had to been like that from them because "you never opened it" and wouldn't even know how to do it.Plus it's a refurb so that'll help your argument. I've never personally seen them open a phone when they replacing it but they could. If you push what I said hard enough or throw a big enough fit they'll replace it.

  5. #5
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Nopstnz8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pleasanton/ Cal Poly SLO, CA
    Posts
    162
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by A3gOwner View Post
    You could probably get away with arguing it had to been like that from them because "you never opened it" and wouldn't even know how to do it.Plus it's a refurb so that'll help your argument. I've never personally seen them open a phone when they replacing it but they could. If you push what I said hard enough or throw a big enough fit they'll replace it.
    You have a great point! I think I'm going to just go ahead and try it. Do you think I may need to order a new vibrator piece, or should I just try reseating this first? Do you clean it with Isopropyl Alcohol above 90%?

  6. #6
    iPhone Underground A3gOwner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Underground
    Posts
    1,172
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 117 Times in 110 Posts

    I'd look at everything and reseat it. See if that helps if it looks dirty and needs cleaned use 90%+ alcohol.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to A3gOwner For This Useful Post:

    Khalidgh (05-17-2011)

  8. #7
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sin City
    Posts
    71
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts

    I highly doubt that they'll notice if you took it in but you've already voided your warranty by updating to the iPad baseband.

    I'd take it apart and just make sure everything is probably seated like the other comments suggested.

  9. #8
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Nopstnz8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pleasanton/ Cal Poly SLO, CA
    Posts
    162
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ylerT View Post
    I highly doubt that they'll notice if you took it in but you've already voided your warranty by updating to the iPad baseband.

    I'd take it apart and just make sure everything is probably seated like the other comments suggested.
    So how would I go about replacing it, if necessary, with the baseband issue problem? Is there like a baseband faker app for iOS4 I could install?

  10. #9
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sin City
    Posts
    71
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts

    I believe there's an app that let's you change anything on the about page. But that's in Cydia so it'd be tricky manually deleting those apps from being seen when it's brought in. In all honesty though, I don't think the Apple employee will even notice.

    Out of curiosity, have you ever thought of selling your 3Gs and just putting that cash towards a 4 from craigslist or eBay?

  11. #10
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Nopstnz8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pleasanton/ Cal Poly SLO, CA
    Posts
    162
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ylerT View Post
    I believe there's an app that let's you change anything on the about page. But that's in Cydia so it'd be tricky manually deleting those apps from being seen when it's brought in. In all honesty though, I don't think the Apple employee will even notice.

    Out of curiosity, have you ever thought of selling your 3Gs and just putting that cash towards a 4 from craigslist or eBay?
    Well I have only had my replacement 3GS for about a month, but that might be a good idea for a iPhone 4. Doubt I'll do that though because I most likely will be getting an I5.

  12. #11
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by ylerT View Post
    I believe there's ipad 2 coversan app that let's you change anything on the about page.ipad 2 keyboardBut that's in Cydia so it'd be tricky manually deleting those apps from being seen when it's brought in. In all honesty though,iphone casesI don't think the Apple employee will even notice.

    Out of curiosity, have you ever thought of selling your 3Gs and just putting that cash towards a 4 from craigslist or eBay?
    I'd take it apart and just make sure everything is probably seated like the other comments suggested.

  13. #12
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts

    I've bought all my last three cell phones rebfurbished, which one was an iPhone 3Gs. I've had no problems that were out of the ordinary. The 3GS lasted me a full 2 years and then some.

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts