Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Authentic OEM Parts?

Default Authentic OEM Parts?
    I really, really hate making posts like this, but...

I've searched around here, macforums etc., and can't seem to find many straight answers on where to buy legitimate replacement parts.

I'm not really looking to do any modifications to my phone; I merely need to replace a broken iPhone 4 screen and don't want to waste cash on a shoddy aftermarket piece, but I refuse to pony up $250 to have Apple do it when I know I'm fully capable of replacing the thing myself.

So that's it! If anyone could point me to a dealer that sells the actual, authentic screen replacement for a good old black 4g, I'd really appreciate it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Nopstnz8's Avatar
    Thanks

SW Box is really good, so is Muchbuy. The only parts that weren't true OEM were the buttons.

I think all of the iphone 4 lcds are going to be OEM only Samsung and LG have the technology to make the iphone 4 lcds(may be some Toshiba ones now not sure), the glass attached is the only part that would be aftermarket but it should be the exact same.

Quote Originally Posted by Emicron View Post
    I think all of the iphone 4 lcds are going to be OEM only Samsung and LG have the technology to make the iphone 4 lcds(may be some Toshiba ones now not sure), the glass attached is the only part that would be aftermarket but it should be the exact same.
    this is correct the glass is usually aftermarket while the lcd itself is OEM.

I believe that even the touch digitizer panel connected to the glass is also OEM.

I went ahead and hunted around for a bit longer after the initial reply suggesting muchbuy and sw-box, mostly because both sites seemed a bit iffy, and looked like one was an overseas (China?) distributor. Neither place was very tempting due to potentially poor shipping times, as well.

I came across a site - etechparts - then called and spoke with one of the managers there who was very friendly and reassured me that the entire assembly was an OEM part. On top of that, it should arrive within a couple of days so I was pretty well sold. He also said that their primary sales are as a wholesale distributor of those parts and that they deal with many professional repair stores. Gave me a better feeling, anyway...

So yeah, thanks for the replies guys. Maybe the above will help someone else out that finds themselves in a similar position to me at least. Oh, and I'll try and report back after I've gotten the part and installed it.

Edit: As a side note, I'd contacted directfix and a couple other "i fix" types of sites before making this post originally, and speaking with some of them, you get the impression that what you're buying is, in fact, not an OEM part, but rather an aftermarket/generic screen. Reading and watching some reviews about poor quality parts, I definitely got paranoid, hence my reason for posting.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Shiymmas For This Useful Post:

jiniej (05-18-2011)

None of the parts are true OEM. Factories in China produce a number of frames in a specific color, and a number of digitizer/glass/lcd combos in whatever color they want because they have the CAD drawings for them. You won't get OEM anywhere else besides Apple.

That being said, they're all usable parts. Some have some pretty small defects (like lack of oleophobic coating), but that shouldn't bother you.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Li-ion View Post
    None of the parts are true OEM. Factories in China produce a number of frames in a specific color, and a number of digitizer/glass/lcd combos in whatever color they want because they have the CAD drawings for them. You won't get OEM anywhere else besides Apple.

That being said, they're all usable parts. Some have some pretty small defects (like lack of oleophobic coating), but that shouldn't bother you.
    he is right..

OEM parts do not exist unless you buy them directly from Apple
    Otherwise aftermarket regardless of color.
    But they work fine, no oliophobic coating is the worst part...solved with a screen protector though

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I totally agree with Li-ion and harmon. It is virtually impossible to verify that a part came from Apple. I have dock modules that I use all the time that say Apple on them. Maybe they come from Apple... maybe not. They work great mostly and a few are DOA. The bottom line, in my opinion, is to find a vendor you trust. Will they communicate? Will they give you grief for returns? Trust is key.

Falcon, what vendor are you using. I have had multiple failures on microphone attached to the dock connector and am about to switch vendors.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Generally, if you're buying from one of those sites the LCD and plastic frame around the glass are OEM. I may be wrong but IMO that's why many of these parts sites tell you they're OEM parts.

Only thing I can suggest is looking for someone who has done a color swap or does repairs in general. They may be willing to sell you they're original parts. I know in my store I have 3 or 4 kits that are actual Apple parts because we offer a discount with color swaps if the customer trades in the stock parts.

ive ordered a few from SW-box before. not bad and good fitment except for the home buttons. all the while they are pretty good.

Not entirely true guys, OEM parts ARE available from china..

Bare in mind it's where the parts themselves are made so they're easily available to the market, although there are heaps of crappy aftermarket parts that claim to be OEM.

I myself own an iPhone repair store and I also wholesale parts myself.

I've sold many kits to guys on here, OEM and non OEM.

Just last week I got access to the OEM iPhone 4 White kits as seen on the new iPhone 4 and they're the real real deal!

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

jmedillin... I've been using WirelessPartsWholesale and having good results. Failure rate of docks if high, especially mics. I see about 10% go bad.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iamkadaj View Post
    Not entirely true guys, OEM parts ARE available from china..

Bare in mind it's where the parts themselves are made so they're easily available to the market, although there are heaps of crappy aftermarket parts that claim to be OEM.

I myself own an iPhone repair store and I also wholesale parts myself.

I've sold many kits to guys on here, OEM and non OEM.

Just last week I got access to the OEM iPhone 4 White kits as seen on the new iPhone 4 and they're the real real deal!

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    We own a repair shop as well. You're somewhat right that OEM parts are available but they are available at a premium. These color kits aren't OEM. A great amount of them have OEM frames and LCD's but other than that, the glass is copy.

We buy direct from manufactures overseas and have access to the "real deal" white kits as well. We've also just been sent purple kits that come with the new proximity sensor design.

I'll be carrying the new white kits in a few days in the US

I have the same question, although I don't need genuine Apple, I'd like something that LOOKS indistinguishable from the real deal on sharpness, contrast, color temperature, etc. Nothing like this crap:
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Digitizer-Assembly-Exclusive-Zeetron-Microfiber/dp/B003ZU5X36/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header]Customer Image Gallery for Apple Iphone 4 Digitizer + LCD Assembly + 7 Piece Tool Kit + Exclusive Zeetron Microfiber Cloth (9 Piece Kit)[/ame] (see customer gallery for OEM vs garbage comparison)
    That hideous screen would make me cry.

Has anyone bought a replacement LCD which is equivalent in quality to OEM in every way, and if so from where?
    Also, do most eBay sellers get their screens from the same source? They often use the same photos. Some state OEM, some don't, I wonder if the ones that say "OEM" are completely truthful (I have my doubts).
    Last edited by GnatGoSplat; 05-18-2011 at 12:57 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone jiniej's Avatar
    Thanks

Answers!?
    "foreign corporations > swedish law"

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Have never had a non OEM LCD on my iP4 fronts.
    It is the glass that is aftermarket if anything...

From that Amazon photo, I have to wonder if a lot of these replacement LCDs are B-stock that Apple rejected because they didn't meet standards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast