+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to protect proximity sensor when changing the screen.

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I've changed several digitizers on 3G's and every time I do it, the proximity/light sensor stops working. I use a hair dryer to heat up/soften the glue that sticks the
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default How to protect proximity sensor when changing the screen.
    I've changed several digitizers on 3G's and every time I do it, the proximity/light sensor stops working. I use a hair dryer to heat up/soften the glue that sticks the screen and the frame together. I think that I am frying the sensor when I'm doing this.

Does anybody have any insight on this? How to protect it or another way to get the screen off without heat?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

I haz a number
    Thanks

I do not believe that the Flex #3 is very susceptible to heat damage. And that should not matter anyway, because heat is never applied to it or reasonably near it during a correct repair. When you heat the glass to soften the adhesive, heat the glass, heat will dissipate all through the glass, no matter where you heat the glass. So if you believe you are applying too much heat to the top, heat the mid glass and the heat will travel to the top and bottom very well. Also when I repair a screen I hold the assembly in my hand, sure it gets hot, basically too hot to touch, but Flex #3 can take alot more heat than my hand. Plus I do not heat Flex #3 at all during the repair. It is on the back of the assembly protected from the heat better than any other part of the entire assembly, the home button is probably more vulnerable. But again just heat the glass and everything will be good. If anything could be damaged by the heat it would be the rubber gasket at the edge of the midframe, or the midframe itself. Flex #3 can be damaged by removing it incorrectly, inserting it incorrectly or banging it around during the repair process, heat should be the least of your worries.

If you want to remove all possible risk of heat exposure. Then you could do it without the heat. Everyone I know that repairs iPhones does the repair without heat. Or just remove the #3 Flex from the midframe, by removing the metal cover it is attached to. I have never seen this done by anyone during a screen repair, but it is easy enough to remove.
    Last edited by 805 93003; 05-04-2011 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost