+ Reply
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: iPhone volume up button doesn't work

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I was cleaning my iPhone then I guess water went in the volume (very little water) It started to act up Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't No the up
...
  1. #1
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Mrdabbas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Default iPhone volume up button doesn't work
    I was cleaning my iPhone then I guess water went in the volume
    (very little water)
    It started to act up

    Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't

    No the up volume does not work at all but the low volume works great..

    If I Change the flex assembly will it solve my problem?

    I can still control the volume via settings

    Any help would be greatly appreciated

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Livin the iPhone Life Stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    You Know...
    Posts
    14,071
    Thanks
    675
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

    if the water indicators have not triggered why not go to apple and replace it?
    Quote Originally Posted by ikesmasher View Post
    that was officially the scariest thing you have ever said str4y.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancho paco View Post
    Dude T.M.I

  3. #3
    I haz a number
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    220
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 24 Times in 22 Posts

    If the water accident happened today. I would give it a couple of days to dry out. I would just use the iPhone like you always do. Then if still bad after several days, hopefully it is only a flex cable problem at the spot, and not water damage deeper into the phone. Always use isopropyll alcohol to clean iPhone. Water ouch.

  4. #4
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Mrdabbas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by 805 93003 View Post
    If the water accident happened today. I would give it a couple of days to dry out. I would just use the iPhone like you always do. Then if still bad after several days, hopefully it is only a flex cable problem at the spot, and not water damage deeper into the phone. Always use isopropyll alcohol to clean iPhone. Water ouch.
    Very little water on napkin

    I'll change the flex and post back...

    The phone is 2 years out of warranty so apple store is not an option

  5. #5
    Livin the iPhone Life Stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    You Know...
    Posts
    14,071
    Thanks
    675
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

    Sorry i thought it was an iphone 4

  6. #6
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Mrdabbas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Str4y View Post
    Sorry i thought it was an iphone 4
    Hmm I just plugged my headphone in and the volume button up worked.. I unplugged the headphone and it still worked

    It's fully functional now!

    Dont know why but who cares lol

  7. #7
    Livin the iPhone Life Stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    You Know...
    Posts
    14,071
    Thanks
    675
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

    Glad you got it working lol

  8. #8
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Mrdabbas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Str4y View Post
    Glad you got it working lol
    Na now it's acting up again...

    I gotta blow hard in the volume button for it to function for 1 hour

  9. #9
    Livin the iPhone Life Stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    You Know...
    Posts
    14,071
    Thanks
    675
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

    What kind of iPhone is it?

  10. #10
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Mrdabbas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Str4y View Post
    What kind of iPhone is it?
    It's an iPhone 3GS 16gb

    When I blow hard for 2 seconds on the volume button it works perfectly normal .. But if I don't use the volume button for 10 min I have to blow again...

    I already ordered the flex..

    Anyone would like to expand?

  11. #11
    Livin the iPhone Life Stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    You Know...
    Posts
    14,071
    Thanks
    675
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

    Why not open and take out the cable. By doing this is may just be wet and still functional.

  12. #12
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Mrdabbas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Str4y View Post
    Why not open and take out the cable. By doing this is may just be wet and still functional.
    Well instead of taking the cable out and putting back and still doesn't work.. I'll open it and put new one in for 10$

    I'm going to change the back housing anyways because it's very scratched up.

  13. #13
    Livin the iPhone Life Stray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    You Know...
    Posts
    14,071
    Thanks
    675
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

    Good plan! Hope it works out for ya!

  14. #14
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrdabbas View Post
    It's an iPhone 3GS 16gb

    When I blow hard for 2 seconds on the volume button it works perfectly normal .. But if I don't use the volume button for 10 min I have to blow again...

    I already ordered the flex..

    Anyone would like to expand?
    similar issue noted on pod4g(intermittant vol/pwr sw function) i'm assuming a flex cable defect/disconnect but i can bend/twist device into submission,so i will leave it alone 4 a while.good luck (karmod)

  15. #15
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Mrdabbas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by karmod View Post
    similar issue noted on pod4g(intermittant vol/pwr sw function) i'm assuming a flex cable defect/disconnect but i can bend/twist device into submission,so i will leave it alone 4 a while.good luck (karmod)
    Well mine right now works 90% of the times

    It's improving I'll post back if the problem just disappears

  16. #16
    iPhone? More like MyPhone Mrdabbas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    242
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrdabbas View Post
    Well mine right now works 90% of the times

    It's improving I'll post back if the problem just disappears
    Yep problem is 99.99 percent gone

    Guess there was water in there

  17. #17
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default vol. button issue:
    glad u have a work-around but be aware that blowing on it may impart moisture into device.Perhaps hand warming would work also? good luck-----Karmod

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts