+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS not taking charge?

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
UPDATE..... Ok so an update. Went a got another battery off my mate today. Pulled everything apart. Whacked it in and put back together same deal. Still not taking charge
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default 3GS not taking charge?
    UPDATE.....

Ok so an update. Went a got another battery off my mate today. Pulled everything apart. Whacked it in and put back together same deal. Still not taking charge or turning on. It won't even boot to apple logo since that last turn on any more. How am I going to restore a phone that won't turn on. Like how am I meant to get the logic board in sync with the battery

What about draining the new battery somehow? Anyone know if that will work. I don't know if it is the case but I thought mayb of the battery is really flat then charging from a flat battery might make the handset turn on? So far it has been on charge another 4hours and hasn't even attempted to boot. Just says I nee to connect to charger then says charging when docked. But doesent turn on

Ok so draining the battery worked. I just kept pushing the power button for like an hour and after many button presses resulting in the please charge battery animation thinggy all of a sudden it turned on. Updated firmware fine. Restored from backup said restore complete. Phone reset and is now back saying it has to be charged. It's now been on charge for bout 20mins figure il give it an hour more then try the power button drain again and hope it turns on. This has really got me stumped. Anyone know why this would happen
    Last edited by Mnazzama; 04-25-2011 at 02:04 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 1,074 Posts

The battery might be the problem. Have you thought of replacing it?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Dude.... I just said I replaced the battery... Lol cos the old one was puffy

Thanks

Lol I get that but it can be a faulty battery.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok. Not likely to be something with the charging connector or anything that's in the bottom mic piece? Iv never pulled the mic/speaker/what ever assembly out
    Last edited by Mnazzama; 04-24-2011 at 08:08 AM.

Thanks

If you are talking about the dock connector that shouldn't be the problem. If it can take a charge but not hold it I am 100% sure its either the battery or the fact that it needs to be restored. I've done many many repairs and know a lot about the internal pieces.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks. I just got offered a part time job today helping out at a repair place today so hopefully oneday it will be me handing out the wisdom lol. I love my iPhone I dunno how my g/f has been coping without it

Thanks

No problem lol. Good luck

iPhone? More like MyPhone Spaceman1701's Avatar
    Thanks

seems like after i updated to 4.3.2 and then jailbroke it, then I started getting the triangle and yellow exclimation mark, with the message that "charging is not supported with this device". So I took it back to apple, had them replace it. I updated and re jailbroke the new phone and I am still getting the same message. This is when I try to charge it on my PC. I tried the 4 other docks I have in my house and get the same message. I know for a fact that everything I am trying is compatible. Was before I updated to 4.3.2. When i am in the middle of a sync, the message will pop up and halt my sync.
    My PC is top of the line and never had an issue before.

I have an IPhone 4, BTW
    Last edited by Spaceman1701; 04-24-2011 at 10:08 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

You were extremely lucky getting it replaced. No question you had a battery issue with the original device--Li batteries don't do well when left in a low or no charge for long periods of time. What version of osi was on the one you received from Apple? Obviously, you wanted the new device, but pin point the issue for sure, restore it to original version it came with or to the latest stock F/W with no jail brake. If everything works normally, obviously it's the jailbreak operation. Find another jailbreak or live with it as stock. At least you have a new phone which is a big step beyond where you may have ended up.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ok so an update. Went a got another battery off my mate today. Pulled everything apart. Whacked it in and put back together same deal. Still not taking charge or turning on. It won't even boot to apple logo since that last turn on any more. How am I going to restore a phone that won't turn on. Like how am I meant to get the logic board in sync with the battery

What about draining the new battery somehow? Anyone know if that will work. I don't know if it is the case but I thought mayb of the battery is really flat then charging from a flat battery might make the handset turn on? So far it has been on charge another 4hours and hasn't even attempted to boot. Just says I nee to connect to charger then says charging when docked. But doesent turn on

Ok so draining the battery worked. I just kept pushing the power button for like an hour and after many button presses resulting in the please charge battery animation thinggy all of a sudden it turned on. Updated firmware fine. Restored from backup said restore complete. Phone reset and is now back saying it has to be charged. It's now been on charge for bout 20mins figure il give it an hour more then try the power button drain again and hope it turns on. This has really got me stumped. Anyone know why this would happen?
    Last edited by Mnazzama; 04-25-2011 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

is the bottom assembly get it replaced and it will stop draining battery happened to a customes, i bet tat if you disconect it it will stop draining battery, if drains even disconnected you need a battery replacement

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I get the yellow triangle too I did get rid of it for a couple days though by going into device manager on my pc and updating the apple USB driver. I'm pretty sure it's just not delivering enough juice to charge my 3GS as it will charge off the wall charger just fine and I can still sync with ifunbox and iTunes and all that with the same cable and pc. Maybe try updating the driver or even uninstall and reinstall. Couldn't hurt.