Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Broken iPhone 3GS needing help

iPhone? More like MyPhone iChopPryde's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Broken iPhone 3GS needing help
    Hello I am needing some advice and help, I have an iphone 3GS and cracked my screen. Now the issue I am having is when trying to replace the screen I broke the 3rd connector the white part that is attatched to the iphone. (it is pretty small white with a black little flap you are supposed to lift to remove the 3rd connector)

So basically I am left screwed as this is way beyond my ability to fix and I have looked around but have been unable to find someone who can fix something like this.

I am hoping someone can help me out and send me to a trustworthy website that can fix this kind of problem. I feel like I will need that little part replaced and no idea if thas possible.

I dont want to buy a new phone yet as I am really waiting in hopes that the i5 will come out this summer so if I can get this phone to have a little more life for even around $100 I am ok with that.

Heres an image showing you the area I am needing fixed. I really need help I dont know anyone who can fix something like this

Thanks
    Thanked 3,252 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iChopPryde View Post
    Hello I am needing some advice and help, I have an iphone 3GS and cracked my screen. Now the issue I am having is when trying to replace the screen I broke the 3rd connector the white part that is attatched to the iphone. (it is pretty small white with a black little flap you are supposed to lift to remove the 3rd connector)

So basically I am left screwed as this is way beyond my ability to fix and I have looked around but have been unable to find someone who can fix something like this.

I am hoping someone can help me out and send me to a trustworthy website that can fix this kind of problem. I feel like I will need that little part replaced and no idea if thas possible.

I dont want to buy a new phone yet as I am really waiting in hopes that the i5 will come out this summer so if I can get this phone to have a little more life for even around $100 I am ok with that.

Heres an image showing you the area I am needing fixed. I really need help I dont know anyone who can fix something like this

So u broke the strip connector (atrached to the screen) or the piece that is on the board that holds the connector in place? Have u tried sliding the connector in and plugging everything back up to see if it'll work?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

iChopPryde (04-23-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    So u broke the strip connector (atrached to the screen) or the piece that is on the board that holds the connector in place? Have u tried sliding the connector in and plugging everything back up to see if it'll work?
    Its the piece on the bard that holds the connector in place that is busted do you know any way I can get something like this fixed?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

I don't know how to "fix" it but so long as you can get the ribbon to stay in place the phone should be fine. It's not like the board is broken.

Of course it might be hard to lodge it in place and keep it there with the angle you have to put it in to get the screen back in the phone.

But I dont recommend gluing so don't try that. I guess just try to put the screen back in and try to keep the ribbon in the connector with tweezers to hold it in place while you close the screen back in.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to i.Annie For This Useful Post:

iChopPryde (04-23-2011)

Thanks

im able to get the ribbon back in but the the black flap that opens to release the ribbon is broken off and a bit of the right side is chipped off as well so i feel like im missing 1 or 2 of the teeth or whatever u want to call it.
    Also when I did connect everything back together when i try booting my phone up it starts to boot but it sits at the botting screen and just says its loading and never loads.

Thanks

Hot melt glue is your friend here. Get it slid into connector put a dot right where the cable meets the connector. This can be easily removed/broke loose with your fingernail after it's cooled/dried.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to A3gOwner For This Useful Post:

iChopPryde (04-23-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Yikes. Well try what ^ said I suppose.

Thanks

My buddy had an iPhone given to him with a missing/broke lock on the connector. This is how I got his secure enough to get screen on. Once powered on, phone worked flawlessly. He lucked out (by that being only problem with a free 3gs) and threw me $20 for fixing it, so it was a win win if you ask me.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to A3gOwner For This Useful Post:

iChopPryde (04-23-2011)

Thanks

thats scary I don't really want to do something like that myself I was hoping there is a place I could maybe send my phone and they could do this for me? I dont care how it gets fixed as long as it does. I know theres a lot of online websites but they seem to only fix screens and the basic stuff.

I know I can't be the first person to break this part cause its super fragile.

thats scary I don't really want to do something like that myself I was hoping there is a place I could maybe send my phone and they could do this for me? I dont care how it gets fixed as long as it does. I know theres a lot of online websites but they seem to only fix screens and the basic stuff.

I know I can't be the first person to break this part cause its super fragile.

Ok that's the proximity flex holder, no big deal. just get the connector in and secure sown with a tiny piece of 3M adhesive, or duct tape.

Do NOT use any solvent such as glue.

The fumes will put a White film on other internal parts and could upset current flow.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

15. The Following User Says Thank You to iamkadaj For This Useful Post:

iChopPryde (04-23-2011)

[QUOTE=iChopPryde;5986930]Hello I am needing some advice and help, I have an iphone 3GS and cracked my screen. Now the issue I am having is when trying to replace the screen I broke the 3rd connector the white part that is attatched to the iphone. (it is pretty small white with a black little flap you are supposed to lift to remove the 3rd connector)

[/QUOTE

definition: Hector- Bully, Braggart

he is a member on the forum and has done alot of these repairs for me....

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dee9299 For This Useful Post:

iChopPryde (04-23-2011), krazy (09-12-2011)

Thanks

thank you so much for this, this is exctly the guy I need to help me out and ill trust you that he is safe and I can trust him with myu phone.

I already emailed him and hope to get a reply soon cant wait to get this thing fixed I miss my iphone so much I am using a sony erricson phone right now so depressing.

Thanks

[quote=dee9299;5994808]

[/QUOTE

definition: Hector- Bully, Braggart

he is a member on the forum and has done alot of these repairs for me....
    That's awesome! Wish I had the tools for that kinda stuff! Good luck iChopPryde! Glad u finally found a professional answer.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to thazsar For This Useful Post:

iChopPryde (04-23-2011)

Thanks

thanks everyone i love this community wish I came online sooner to ask this question I wasted 2 weeks now not getting it fixed but hopefully he emails me soon another plus is I work part time at fed ex so I get super cheap rates for shipping stuff so ill express that to him so he gets it right away and i can get it sent back super fast it should only take a day or 2 tops

Thanks

thanks everyone i love this community wish I came online sooner to ask this question I wasted 2 weeks now not getting it fixed but hopefully he emails me soon another plus is I work part time at fed ex so I get super cheap rates for shipping stuff so ill express that to him so he gets it right away and i can get it sent back super fast it should only take a day or 2 tops
    Sweeet! Well, again, good luck to u!